UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> what is a good green screen?

7/12/06 11:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GonzoPhD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Jul-06
Rebel Spirit Studios

well?
7/12/06 12:06 PM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 12-Jul-06
I have a westcoff that is nice.
7/13/06 6:37 PM
BarkLikeADog

Edited: 13-Jul-06
I've used the Westcott portables a lot. They're good for having something that you can pack easily, but if you have any retards on your crew, they WILL get torn up; they aren't intuitively folded. More important than getting a high-quality green screen is: A. Having a good piece of hardware to do the work; a good old-fashioned traditional analog chromakey is still better than most software solutions, albeit impractical for most nonstudio work. B. Simply lighting the screen evenly. If you light it correctly, you can use a bolt of fabric from Walmart on a clothesline.
7/14/06 8:13 PM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 14-Jul-06
I don't have one that is on a built in frame. Mine is a large fabric piece that I have stands and support fot. It's pretty solid. The key is lighting for any chomakey work.
7/15/06 10:58 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jul-06
The CSPT
I've used green chroma key paint, fabric from wal mart and chroma key green fabric. Lighting always made the key work or not. Many educators/pros say you can't get a good key from DV regardless of lighting/software. I've done it many times with great results. Demi
7/15/06 5:56 PM
BarkLikeADog

"Many educators/pros say you can't get a good key from DV regardless of lighting/software." I would amend that to say great key instead of good key. Then I'd agree with that. A great key, you can see every hair popping out. DV doesn't really resolve hair well to begin with, without regard to whether the subject is keyed or not. Yeah, you can do completely passable work with DV & paint, provided you light it well. Hope you're coming away from this with "light it well" over "quality green screen", 'cause that's what we're all saying.
7/15/06 10:50 PM
GonzoPhD

Rebel Spirit Studios
yeah for sure...it seems if I throw down 80 bucks for a "green screen" it will workj fine as long as I put in the work to light it sound right? also I am using DV right now but in fall I will be shooting HD once the cineporter comes out
7/19/06 12:48 AM
SatanJR

Edited: 19-Jul-06
I have a portable full on setup but what I used in a pinch one time that worked really good was about 30 sheets of flourecent green posterboard stuck to a wall with double sided tape. The flourescent color actually helped a lot when it came down to pulling the key. Also make sure that you light the screen seperate from the subject with plenty of space between everything.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.