UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> FL gulf coast fishing...advice?

7/13/06 12:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Giacomo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Jul-06

I'm heading to Florida in 9 days. It's been a long year and I can't wait to hit the coast. I will be in the Sarasota area for about a week, spending time with the inlaws and my family....mostly hanging out on the beaches. But my plan is to find time to fish, as often as I can. Any tips are appreciated. I will be fishing off the beach and from a kayak....but I don't fish saltwater enough to know what I'm doing. Can anyone give me an overview of what fish I might expect??? Like go for ??? in the early morning, maybe switch to ???? at dusk, or how about any trolling from behind the kayak? I know this forum is kinda dead, but If I get nothing from you Florida guys, I'm going to have to take the advice of the local bait dealers...and I'll either have the latest lures at triple price (that never catch anything).....or way too much live bait and end up reeling in catfish the whole trip!!!!
7/13/06 12:56 PM
<:(((><
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Jul-06
I live about 50 miles south of there so dont know any hot spots to tell you there. Try www.floridasportsman.com and go the forum. The SW General info guys will help you out.
7/14/06 12:18 AM
Giacomo

Edited: 14-Jul-06
Excellent, thanks for the link.
7/14/06 7:37 AM
jscorbett
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If that area is like any of the gulf fishing I have done, you will have to go out at least 10 miles to be in water deep enough to have good fishing.
7/14/06 3:17 PM
Giacomo

Maybe that is why I have mixed luck. No way I can do that, all I have is a kayak. It's no big deal, I have a blast every time. I'll keep asking around and maybe I'll figure out when to try for different fish. In the past I have landed the following edible fish: trout, snapper, flounder and snook. I know some of the locals go snook fishing at night, under lights, so I'll probably give that a try.
7/23/06 2:15 AM
Amarelo

Edited: 23-Jul-06
Giacomo...if you cast a net I would try for live bait. You want to look for "whitebait." You can catch threadfins and pinfish also. Fish for snook around mangroves with whitebait. They sit off the beaches also but man fishing has been fickle this season. I think red tide really fucked with the ecosystem this season. I like to shark fish from my kayak and last year I caught a 40 inch snook from my kayak in Bradenton Bay.
8/1/06 12:21 AM
Giacomo

Edited: 01-Aug-06
Thanks for the info Amarelo. I'm back from the trip now, it was great. My boys had a blast in the ocean and I got plenty of fishing time, but I ended up kayaking more than fishing. I caught plenty of bait with the cast net. My last day there I caught 6 fish in about an hour! It was loads of fun, even though I only had one keeper ( a pretty good-sized snook). I had the most success walking the shore, following the schools of shiners/whitefish/minnows and casting around them. Can't wait until next year!
8/3/06 5:02 PM
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Aug-06
Avoid the red tide and check the fishing reports that you find on obscure cable channels.
3/1/09 6:54 AM
Byrd

bubble rigs rule the gulf for macks. vertical jig offshore.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.