UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Strauss's fascist leanings reveald

7/17/06 5:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hekster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Jul-06 12:34 AM

Neo-conservatism roots in authoritarianism and empire make alot of sense of the current administration's policies. http://balkin.blogspot.com/2006/07/letter_16.html "the fact that the new right-wing Germany does not tolerate us says nothing against the principles of the right. To the contrary: only from the principles of the right, that is from fascist, authoritarian and imperial principles, is it possible with seemliness, that is, without resort to the ludicrous and despicable appeal to the droits imprescriptibles de l'homme(5) to protest against the shabby abomination.(6) I am reading Caesar's Commentaries with deep understanding, and I think of Virgil's Tu regere imperio... parcere subjectis et debellare superbos.(7) There is no reason to crawl to the cross, neither to the cross of liberalism, as long as somewhere in the world there is a glimmer of the spark of the Roman thought. And even then: rather than any cross, I'll take the ghetto."
7/19/06 10:42 AM
Dogbert

Edited: 19-Jul-06
Strauss sympathy for fascism as revealed in a private, widely unknown, letter doesn't prove that all Straussians are fascists.
7/24/06 12:24 PM
hekster

Edited: 13-Aug-06 01:58 PM
never was asserted in this post. Never said that neocons = fascists. Its already a given that neocons support authoritarian and expansionary policies. There is more to being fascist than just that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.