UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Thesis Defense

7/20/06 9:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OctaviousBP
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jul-06

I'm defending my masters thesis next Thursday. Any advice?
7/22/06 12:47 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 22-Jul-06
lol not yet, but please post anything you learn for the rest us interested in self-torture
7/26/06 1:37 AM
dnwsr
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Jul-06
good luck. just make sure you show some confidence in your thesis and try to provide the best evidence as possible. don't get arrogant about it though and make sure you aren't overly defensive if/when criticized.
7/27/06 8:39 PM
OctaviousBP

Edited: 27-Jul-06
Postponed until the 14th... At this point I just wish it was over.
8/14/06 6:04 PM
OctaviousBP

Edited: 14-Aug-06
Done. Not too brutal. My guess is that no one wanted to be there for a summer defense. Can't believe it's over...
8/17/06 7:38 PM
Greggie

Edited: 17-Aug-06
Congrats, dude! What field? Well done. I've still got a year and change ahead of me, I'm afraid. Greg
8/21/06 9:43 PM
OctaviousBP

Edited: 21-Aug-06
Political Economy. It was a good degree. Still sinking in that I'm done, actually...
8/27/06 1:20 PM
jesada
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Aug-06
Congrats Oct, I'm in BKK now, you still going to Chiang Mai?
8/28/06 6:48 AM
OctaviousBP

Edited: 28-Aug-06
Hey thanks! I've been here for a week now... Mae Rim to be specific. How long you in BKK for?
8/28/06 6:59 AM
jesada
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Aug-06
Till I'm done with the dissertation.
At least 9 months

If you're ever in BKK, let me know. We can grab a beer and argue about whether or not Prem should just have a coup already.

My days are spent in the microfilm at Thammasat right now going through old Bangkok Post articles.

You have friends in CM?

9/12/06 3:19 AM
OctaviousBP

Edited: 12-Sep-06
Hey jesada, sorry about the long delay... this thread totally slipped under my radar. I may be in BKK in October... will you still be there? I am living the life of leisure currently, but I will get off my arse and get into town to look for work shortly. Training is taking a whole lot out of me though... I have friends in CM. We spend the weekends there usually at a cheap guesthouse so we don't have to make the drive back to Mae Rim late at night. If you're ever this way, let me know...
9/12/06 4:27 AM
jesada

Edited: 12-Sep-06
Cool. Hopefully I'll still be here in Oct. (going to fly to Penang to get a 3 month visa before the new rules come into effect) Let me know how the job search goes. My heart isn't 100% set on the academic route and I'm always interested to hear about other options.
9/14/06 9:39 PM
eabeam
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Sep-06
Rationale-Evidence, admit your limitations so that you do not make statements that extend beyond your evidence. Everything else is just details.
9/19/06 2:35 PM
jesada

Edited: 19-Sep-06
Mmmmm...coup. Think it'll be Prem or Anand as interim PM?
9/20/06 1:36 AM
OctaviousBP

Edited: 20-Sep-06
Sondhi ;)
9/20/06 7:51 AM
jesada

They have to have learned from Suchinda's mistakes. Prem is probably too old. I'm going with Anand.It's what I'd do if i were having a coup...hmm...a good idea that. Please let me know if you hear of any TRT rallies. I'm thinking of making a trip out of BKK to get a sense of how pro-Thaksin folks are taking this. What's your sense of the atmosphere up there in CM?
9/20/06 9:04 AM
OctaviousBP

Personally, I'm split on the issue. I am by no means a Taksin supporter. But nor am I what countless foreigners here seem to be doing, and that is jumping on the "anti-toxin" bandwagon. Taksin started out well enough, as a disciple of Chamlong. He made many promises that were hope inspiring for most people. However in the end, he became nothing more than the tycoon he was previous to TRT. Even Chamlong turned his back on him. So, I'm certainly not sad to see him go. BUT, a lot of people don't seem to realize, that Sondhi and the PAD aren't much better. Sondhi is a tycoon, a media mogul nonetheless... so very much it is Taksin's populist mouthwash simply swishing to the other cheek. What really bothers me about the whole thing, is a lot of people really dedicated themselves to the constitution, some of them ultimately. There was an election scheduled on the 15th of next month... why not wait until then? Well, the obvious reason is that they didn't think they could overcome the TRT... the reason of course that over half the population supports Taksin. Of course, we in the West will never hear about that, because Sondhi's media and BKK elites only report on how corrupt TRT is. So where does that leave Thailand and democracy? Don't think you can win the next election? No problem... throw a coup! Who cares what the people in the countryside think... they have no pull. So that's my 50 satang... as for the people up here in Chiang Mai... so far there isn't much backlash. Everyone (falang) so far that I have talked to seem to be regurgitating the same line. The young (professional) Thais also seem to believe the coup is a good thing. What I am very curious about, is the opinion of my camp, which is composed of small villagers. FRAT version: I'm glad to see Taksin go. I'm not thrilled with the alternative (but Prem would be decent by me). I wish the PAD attained power through democratic means, and having the mandate of the people, not just the BKK elites.
9/20/06 10:51 AM
jesada

Edited: 20-Sep-06 11:03 AM
I'm much of the same mind. I was in favor of many of Thaksins policies. I think his war on dark influences, whether designed as benevolent policy or as a way of eliminating political rivals, did a lot to reduce jao phao machines that had separated the poor in the rest of Thailand from the political processes. For perhaps the first time the lower classes are politically relevant. The democrats seemed to finally be realizing this and adjusting their policy platforms but not enough and not soon enough. Whatever his motivations, Thaksin had succeeded in eliminating any constitutional constraints to authority. Absolute power corrupts...well you know. As far as I'm concerned the Senate was the weak link in the 97 constitution. Eliminating the pretense of a non-partisan upper house would improve the transparency and accountability of the body. Granting the central and southern regions disproportionate say in the senate would also probably help. It would add more make the appointment process more difficult to corrupt in the checks-and-balance institutions. But leaving the lower house the same would guarantee that all parties continue to create platforms with the WHOLE country in mind so the poor outside of Bangkok are not ignored. Hoping that Gen Sonthi isn't pro-PAD but rather is anti-centralization of power. Best case scenario: they restore the existing constitution with some tweaks in the senate, appoint a well respected interim PM, and hold new elections. I suppose in that case they'd have to have the interim PM appoint new (possibly provisional) election officials and anti-corruption officials. I'd be much abliged if you let me know what your camp friends say. I bet it depends on who they appoint as interim PM. FRAT version: word.
9/22/06 12:46 AM
OctaviousBP

Edited: 22-Sep-06
Found this little beauty at TV: "All media was today 2006-09-21 ordered by ICT to exercise censorship of any news critical of the coup-makers and the new military regime. Offenders face up to six months in jail, a fine of up to Bt10,000, or both. This also prohibit Thaivisa to publish such content. We kindly ask our members to refrain from posting sensitive political content. We reserve the rights to delete content that could be dangerous for the operation of our website. We have to do a bit of self-censorship here so we don't get into trouble. Thanks for your understanding. wai.gif /Admin" Sigh... so this is what the re-instituting of democracy looks like. No biggie in the long run I figure... those who are critical of the coup probably mostly can't afford Internet...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.