UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Terminology

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/22/06 10:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Adam LaClair
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jul-06
ImposeYourWill.com

Considering the advent of digital video, how do you guys feel about the following terms when you are recording footage onto a mini-dv tape?

Filming?

Shooting?

Recording?

Taping?

Specifically, I continue to use the term "filming" a lot, although I have actually never used "film" in any video camera I have ever used.  Is this just bad habit and reference on my part, or do any of you do the same?  Please discuss.

7/25/06 4:52 AM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Jul-06
I'd say overall the industry is populated by nonacademics who aren't particular enough to care, so you can say what you want, although if you want to be precise & cut down on the potential for confusion: If you are talking about committing an image to a medium, use the correct term, taping not filming for DV. If you are talking about a group activity, use the term that implies the correct activity, shooting for field shoots, recording for studio recording. I think it makes you sound unprofessional referring to taping as filming, but I'm not going to pretend the industry gives a damn, because it doesn't. I'd only worry about it in a job interview.
7/26/06 12:36 AM
Adam LaClair
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Jul-06
ImposeYourWill.com

Good points, thanks for the response.

7/26/06 12:15 PM
DVant

Edited: 26-Jul-06
I disagree. If you are hiring or talking to people who don't know anything about your project and you mention "filming" you imply a lot of things. Then when the person realizes that youy are shooting video that could lead to a big disconnect. I know of a guy who was looking for a DOP and posted his "filming dates" only to find that the guys that responded thought it was going to be film and weren't prepared/interested to shoot video.
8/2/06 8:48 AM
BarkLikeADog

Edited: 02-Aug-06
"I'd only worry about it in a job interview." IMO. I think SOMEONE said that already.
8/17/06 11:18 PM
Derek Callahan

Edited: 17-Aug-06
We all get the idea if you say any of those, but if the footage is being shot on film, then you're filming. Shot on tape, you're taping, etc

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.