UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Terminology

7/22/06 10:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Adam LaClair
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jul-06
ImposeYourWill.com

Considering the advent of digital video, how do you guys feel about the following terms when you are recording footage onto a mini-dv tape?

Filming?

Shooting?

Recording?

Taping?

Specifically, I continue to use the term "filming" a lot, although I have actually never used "film" in any video camera I have ever used.  Is this just bad habit and reference on my part, or do any of you do the same?  Please discuss.

7/25/06 4:52 AM
BarkLikeADog

Edited: 25-Jul-06
I'd say overall the industry is populated by nonacademics who aren't particular enough to care, so you can say what you want, although if you want to be precise & cut down on the potential for confusion: If you are talking about committing an image to a medium, use the correct term, taping not filming for DV. If you are talking about a group activity, use the term that implies the correct activity, shooting for field shoots, recording for studio recording. I think it makes you sound unprofessional referring to taping as filming, but I'm not going to pretend the industry gives a damn, because it doesn't. I'd only worry about it in a job interview.
7/26/06 12:36 AM
Adam LaClair

Edited: 26-Jul-06
ImposeYourWill.com

Good points, thanks for the response.

7/26/06 12:15 PM
DVant

Edited: 26-Jul-06
I disagree. If you are hiring or talking to people who don't know anything about your project and you mention "filming" you imply a lot of things. Then when the person realizes that youy are shooting video that could lead to a big disconnect. I know of a guy who was looking for a DOP and posted his "filming dates" only to find that the guys that responded thought it was going to be film and weren't prepared/interested to shoot video.
8/2/06 8:48 AM
BarkLikeADog

Edited: 02-Aug-06
"I'd only worry about it in a job interview." IMO. I think SOMEONE said that already.
8/17/06 11:18 PM
Derek Callahan

Edited: 17-Aug-06
We all get the idea if you say any of those, but if the footage is being shot on film, then you're filming. Shot on tape, you're taping, etc

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.