UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Tony, fighting in sandals?

9/11/02 11:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
menapace
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Sep-02 04:37 PM

Hi Tony I was curious as to whether or not you did any scenario training where the victim is wearing any clothing that may inhibit his ability to perform well? I had a recent experience while wearing loose sandals that are hard enough as it is to even walk in, let alone throw my patented right cross, left hook combo with proper foot rotation. Throwing kicks in them is laughable. So it got me thinking that this might be something to add into one's training, and I figured if anyone had played with it before it would be you. I wondered, what if I had both arms filled with groceries, or I was wearing a bulky jacket and snowpants? Or the ground was icy or wet and you had slippery shoes on etc. etc. Have you ever incorporated anything like this into your training?
9/11/02 9:05 PM
temp152885
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Sep-02
More importantly, worrying about "clothing that would inhibit the ability to perform well" is being fixated on the physical. The PDR program concentrates more than anything else to make sure that your emotional and psychological dont inhibit you from "performing well". Explore the Blauer System and you will see what I mean. If you are not on balance or at least in control of your emotional and psychological tool box you may not execute physically, and unless your attacker is really inefficient, you may have bigger problems than worrying about the red pumps you are wearing. All clothing can end up inhibiting your training depending on the scenario. That is what is important to understand. The scenario will dictate, you very well may not practice in snow parkas if you live in Miami, however you may want to practice in sandals or flipflops. Having said that, the SPEAR System (Spontaneous Protection Enabling Accelerated Response) is designed to respond from WHERE YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!! Great theme to system…..”Here is a position that I will find myself in naturally, my response will be primal, lets attach tactics and techniques to it”…You will have much more belief in the technique that way, in this way you will also always be in your fighting stance…..every natural movement and primal response will be your base that will allow you to fight. Make your every day stance your fighting stance and make your fighting stance your every day stance. Most systems in the martial arts / self defense world are fixated on the physical and work from an on-balance situation. "Put foot here, turn fist there, and bad guy will fall down after you hit him...." If you have done any scenario specific or attack specific drills as we do with the Blauer curriculum, you will quickly see that the real world confrontation will not emulate any consentual dojo training you have done. "I had a recent experience while wearing loose sandals that are hard enough as it is to even walk in, let alone throw my patented right cross, left hook combo with proper foot rotation." To borrow a maxim from the PDR program...."The height of strategy is not doing your favorite move, but instead doing the worst move for your opponent". Consider this, what if your "patented right cross, left hook combo with proper foot rotation." Sets up your opponents favorite counter? Hmmmm..... Just stuff to consider. Hope it helps Joe Mullings
9/12/02 12:13 AM
menapace
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Sep-02
Hi Joe, thanks for your reply. Actually, I'm very familiar with Tony's work, which is why I like asking him questions :) Maybe my question was phrased wrong in that it focused more on the physical. What prompted me to ask the question was my experience, and my past experiences in real life encounters and during my own scenario training with my students and friends. My mental game was/is not my concern(although admittedly, I feel I will never have 100% control with my emotions in an encounter due to adrenaline, though I'm hoping I can get somewhere in the high 90's :) but my concern was simply an idea that popped into my head in regards to performing when you are at a physical, not mental, disadvantage. As far as the proper foot rotation comment is concerned, I am the last person to nit pick about details like those. My motto is, "if it works for you, use it." I simply made the statement to try and set an example about how much the sandals limited my footwork and capabilities. The fact is, a right cross and a left hook has served me well in the past. But like you mentioned, what if he was wearing a motorcycle helmet, or what if he had a knee brace on? Punching someone with a helmet is stupid, and attacking someone's weakness(knee brace) is smart, hence Tony's brilliant statement, "...doing the worst move for your opponent." I love scenario training, and I do it often with my partners and students, and was curious if Tony had ever done similar drills while at a physical disadvantage, and perhaps share some ideas. Thanks again.
9/12/02 11:12 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 12-Sep-02 11:15 AM
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Great questions and answers, just another example of how easily 'we' can misunderstand one another through email...no big deal because as I said, both the question was valid and Joe's reply was deep & certainly thorough, it was , as I lovingly refer to as a 'shot gun' answer (to the many) versus the 'sniper' directed reply. SO in answer to your question, yes. Absolutely. When I teach businessmen, one of our evoluitons is to wear old suits, carry briefcases go to an underground parking lot, etc. PDR personalized sessions will have 'regular clothes' night ; instread of sweats or bad boy shorts :-) Footwear is always discussed in our class...kicking at the beach versus at the construction site with steel toe boots! As to sandals, I got pretty good at whipping my Birkenstocks right into 'your' 'golden-stock' followed by a strategic choice of exit or entry... Bottom liine is the forumula just needs to be respected: 1. Whats the scenario? 2. Murphy Prove then Murphy convert from there. Stay safe! Tony
9/12/02 4:49 PM
menapace

Thanks Tony. Perhaps you could put out a tape on the art of launching shoes :)
9/12/02 10:41 PM
AlbertaPDR

I personally wear my sandals alot during the summer months up here in Canada. I was aware of the limitiations that they could pose and created scenarios that gave me tactical options with the clothing or footwear I had on. Anything you wear in the street or in your house, at the gym or the beach should apart of your scenario building strategies. The murphy moments must be discovered and as Coach said above the conversion from there is crucial. Remember you are the scientist and your environment is your labatory. Robb Finlayson, PDR Team www.tonyblauer.com
9/13/02 12:43 AM
ironmongoose

Edited: 13-Sep-02
Wasn't it on Panic Attack 96 that Coach kicked with a loose shoe in long range, purposely hitting the guy with his flying shoe? Hahahah... He has in his tapes encouraged people to consider the various natural positions and environmental factors. Like the groceries thing, that was brought up as an example on CSD:ME audio. My own approach: I wear Merrell hiking sandals with a back strap and good grip. I hate flip flops.
9/14/02 11:12 AM
RealStudent

Edited: 14-Sep-02
Shoe Fen Do?
9/14/02 5:06 PM
menapace

Edited: 14-Sep-02
LOL

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.