UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> I wouldn't Die for anything

8/5/06 3:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sanguine cynic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Aug-06
"The social cotract usually can allow for penalties. Even under minimal contracts of the Nozick type you can get in prison. And not simply drop the agreement when being caught. Your social contract would certainly make for an miserable law system." When did I ever say I wouldn't allow for penalties? Living in prison is still better than living on one's own in the amazon with no human contact whatsoever. For some reason you think I believe that if a person gets caught for stealing then they can say "hey i don't agree with this contract" and then go back to living in society. Well that's just not the case...going back to my work example that would be like not doing any work once you don't feel like it and still getting paid. Of course that is not going to happen. If you give up on the social contract then you don't get to be in society at all. That means you would have to live on your own and never be in contact with another human being for the rest of your life. And again, you seem to think this is 'my' idea of a social contract. It is not, I am just reitterating the quintessential idea of the social contract.
8/5/06 4:03 PM
Dogbert

"When did I ever say I wouldn't allow for penalties? Living in prison is still better than living on one's own in the amazon with no human contact whatsoever. For some reason you think I believe that if a person gets caught for stealing then they can say "hey i don't agree with this contract" and then go back to living in society." Some people are living in the Amazon. And if you get enough criminals dropping out of society, it's not that lonely there anymore. "And again, you seem to think this is 'my' idea of a social contract. It is not, I am just reitterating the quintessential idea of the social contract." It's a very old concept with many interpretations. There is no unique theory on social contracts.
8/5/06 6:17 PM
sanguine cynic

"Some people are living in the Amazon. And if you get enough criminals dropping out of society, it's not that lonely there anymore." Not by themselves, but in their own little Amazonian societies, and usually groups of super hot woman who you wouldn't want to fuck with. It is really impossible to live without any social contact these days. Only in situations such as my alien analogy
8/6/06 1:48 PM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 06-Aug-06

I cannot really understand how a choice is a choice if you cannot choose whether or not to do the action you are going to do.

The point is that you do choose whether to do something or not. even if that choice was determined. It is a semantical solution, it depends on how you define choice.

the best counter to compatibilism I have seen is the consequence argument from Peter van Invagen (I am uncertain of the spelling of his name..)

10/7/06 1:16 PM
BushHog
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Oct-06
"I'd choose to live. Is this irrational?" Yes. You will die anyway in spite of all your mamby pamby whining.
10/13/06 6:44 AM
OctaviousBP

Edited: 13-Oct-06
sounds kind of solipsistic to me (I think I just made that word up).
11/3/06 9:10 AM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 03-Nov-06
"sounds kind of solipsistic to me (I think I just made that word up)." No, it actually existed even before. :-)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.