UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> My snake needs to eat, HELP!

8/1/06 6:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MENTO WTF
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Aug-06

I have a green anaconda that hasn't eaten in about four months. I'm not sure whether it's the rats I buy her or what, but she just doesn't eat them. Anyone have any advice?
8/2/06 9:53 AM
wizbang
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Aug-06
No expierence with anacondas however I am familiar with a pro basketball player (not much NBA mostly over seas and CBA) in my home town who had them. I recall that he said they, almost like ball pythons, will go off fed for long periods of time and if they aren't looking unhealthy it's no concern. I also recall him saying that one of his would only eat in water, in the dark and with nobody in the room. Maybe try some different feeding cirsumstances and see if they works.
8/2/06 9:42 PM
Cire
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a ball python. Luckily, he was not a picky eater. I often used the forums at Kingsnake.com for great advice.
8/2/06 11:28 PM
Trust
652 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, kingsnake.com has some good advice. Never really kept boids, other than a viper boa. Anaconda is way out of my knowledge, but I too have heard they will go off feed for long periods.
8/3/06 5:25 PM
Fei
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Aug-06
hey guys. im keeping a crocodile in a wading pool out in the lawn and he hasnt eaten in a while. advice?
8/3/06 7:10 PM
Cire
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Aug-06
My croc would eat every other day: fish, chicken breasts, steaks, mice, etc. How big is you croc? Is he wild or captive bred?
8/4/06 3:18 PM
josh23
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Aug-06
How old is the Anaconda? Has anything husbandry related been changed since the last time it has eaten? Have you always had the snake, or has it just not eaten since you have had it? What is the temp and humidity in the enclosure, when was the last shed?
8/5/06 2:01 PM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Aug-06
If this is legit, how large/old is the anaconda, was it captive bred or wild caught and are you it's first owner, what conditions is it being kept in? If it's still smaller rats might even be too big, it might prefer mice, or chicks or something similar sized for now.
8/6/06 10:07 PM
MENTO WTF
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Aug-06
Well my anaconda "fluffy" is almost 2 years old. I am her first owner too. I have fed her many times before. She prefers to eat in the water but was attacked by a rat about 4 months ago and hasn't eaten since. I am really considering feeding her a chick though.
8/7/06 7:28 AM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Aug-06
Ah feeding in the water was gonna be my next suggestion hehe... I'd say if it isn't losing weight don't worry and give it some more unmolested time. My king went off food for a few weeks once after trying unsuccessfully to down a far too large meal. Try some smaller stuff when you do try again.
8/7/06 9:44 PM
josh23

Edited: 07-Aug-06
Have you ever tried feeding pre-killed? It is actually a good practice to start if the snake can be switched over. I wouldn't worry if the snake has good size, as it should be able to easily go a year without food if it is an average size two year old, just keep an eye on the size, if it's got good body to it I wouldn't worry too much. You might try putting a pre-killed rat in the cage, covering the cage so the snake is not distracted and leave the rat in the cage over night. If the snake still has not eaten in the next couple of months you can always take it in for a B12 shot, that usually gets them eating the same day. There is also a possibility that the snake got an infection from the bite (if the bite actually broke through), and sometimes that can keep them from eating.
8/10/06 3:59 PM
MENTO WTF

Edited: 10-Aug-06

The bite healed up pretty quick, only about a week or so. How do I know if the bite got infected?

I have fed her a dead mouse before. I got mad when the mouse bit her and I killed it on accident, then I moved the mouse around as if it were still running around and she ate it.

8/10/06 8:05 PM
josh23

Edited: 10-Aug-06
It depends on the type of infection. If the snake has a respiratory infection you might be able to hear anywhere from a faint, to a very noticeable whistle. Or you may be able to see fluid coming from the nostrils or mouth. Any other infection would have to be diagnosed by a vet. In my experience though the main contributing factors to a snake not eating are because it is not being kept at the right temperature, or it does not feel secure enough. Security is not usually a problem with large boids, but it could be if the snake is kept in a high traffic area. Do you have a reliable source to check the ambiant temperature and humidity in the cage, and the temperature of her water? What are you using as a heat source, and is the water by the heat source?
8/14/06 9:57 PM
MENTO WTF

Edited: 14-Aug-06
I have a heat panel on top of the aquarium and 2 heat pads underneath the tank. The water is on top of one of the heat pad areas, and  I also have a fish tank heater in the water tub.
9/4/06 10:20 AM
Elvis
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Sep-06

My diamond occaisionally goes off rats.  Usually I just switch to mice for a while.  During winter he stops eating as well.  Good Luck.

Elvis

9/7/06 9:58 PM
Pecker's Wife

Edited: 07-Sep-06
How big is he? Try chicks, fish, turtles, other small birds or frogs. Maybe he neeeds variety, or more of a challenge.
12/9/06 12:21 PM
MENTO WTF

Edited: 09-Dec-06
It has been a while since I've logged on but thank you guys for the tips and suggestions.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.