UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Wikipedia

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/1/06 7:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sanguine cynic
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Aug-06

Found this on a different philosophy forum and thought it was pretty interesting. "I don't know how many of you watch The Steven Colbert Report on Comedy Central, but last night, Mr. Colbert made a very interesting critique of epistemology. Wikipedia has become a widly used source of information for millions, perhaps billions of people. No BSed high school paper is complete without a bibliography listing at least 5 wikipedia articles. It is very common, especially among my generation, to reference wikipedia in a verbal argument about a fact. And wikipedia often turns out to be the final word in these disputes. It's becoming the standard of knowledge. But this poses a problem. Anyone with internet access can change the content of wikipedia. The only people to ensure the correctness of wikipedia are other wikipedia users. Which brings us to Mr. Colbert's comment. If enough people agree that the content of wikipedia is correct, no one will cross-reference it with reality to make sure the information on wikipedia accurately describes the way things really are. Wikipedia is definitely language, but it's theorectically possible that the language on wikipedia (or elsewhere on the internet) could loose its reference to reality if enough people begin to treat its articles as "the truth". A kind of "wikiality" will develop. In this wikiality, people will not base the veracity of their statements on how well they describe experience (or if they descirbe reality at all), and more on the consensus of all other language (or specifically, wikipedia) users. I'm not much of an expert on post-modernism, but I did read the wikipedia article on it. It talked about the development of "hyper-reality", or a system where language had no reference to reality. It seems like this "wikiality" Steven Colbert spoke of is like a postmodern hyper-reality. But then again... I only read the wikipedia article on postmodernism"
8/2/06 1:42 AM
BONER EATER
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Aug-06
Wiki has lots of potential problems, but in the end I trust freedom to get it close enough to good enough most of the time.
8/2/06 8:28 AM
Subadie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Aug-06
No comment on content of post. I did appreciate the self-referential humor though.
8/10/06 10:05 AM
Cabal1

Edited: 10-Aug-06
Nice post.
8/12/06 9:47 PM
OneManNavy TM

Edited: 12-Aug-06
that is the problem with the media in general, who cross referances facts?
8/13/06 1:57 PM
hekster

Edited: 13-Aug-06
nice post.
8/16/06 2:11 AM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

Edited: 16-Aug-06
So was the whole thread set up for that punchline? lol at philo humor
7/14/07 11:59 PM
AlbertEinstein

Edited: 14-Jul-07
Goddammit its lose not loose. Loose is what... Nevermind I won't go there.
7/20/07 10:05 AM
Stronghold
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jul-07
Colbert is right to some extent. I mean, I updated Morgan Webb's bio and the important info I added was deleted within 2 hours. I post-pended the sentence "Morgan currently lives in LA" with the more accurate info "Morgan currently lives in LA with her two puppies with large brown noses". The point is, nowhere in the entire writeup or definition of Morgan does it state the obvious - she's famous because she's spunky and has big knobs. So, her popularity is REDEFINED on wiki to be politically correct, or worst, gender-neutral or gender-absent mishmash of errant 'facts' and non-relevant ideas. Therefore, her definition becomes just an ad for her show without any substance or explanation why you should bother to tune in.
8/5/07 11:50 AM
rkjmd

Edited: 05-Aug-07
:)
8/10/07 6:37 AM
Mit
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Aug-07
ttt
10/14/07 3:18 AM
MrMichaelz

Edited: 14-Oct-07
I read a bio on Tito ortiz from WIkipedia... I found something very strange there... it said that Tito was very popular within the gay communinty because he had a "rough back" (or something lke that) I knew wikipedia was something that you could edit.. so I ckecked on the article from time to time for about 2-3 weeks... sure enough it was changed.. kinda funny though
12/22/07 1:57 PM
hermeneus

Edited: 22-Dec-07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability
12/22/07 2:10 PM
Stronghold
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Dec-07
Read the wiki on Tolkien some time. Wow, what a bunch of shockingly errant shit. And, if you change it, to be more accurate, your changes will be summarily deleted asap... or so say a few people on more than one Tolkien forum I check on once in a while.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.