UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> Japan Training Question

8/3/06 11:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bof'njangles
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Aug-06

I will be going to Japan relatively soon. The problem for me is that the org. I am going with (it will be either AEON or Footsteps) cannot guarantee the hours in the day I will teach. Is it common for schools (grappling, MMA) to have morning hours or classes before the evening? I am under the impression that most of the dojo hours are in the evening . . .
8/3/06 5:45 PM
Bof'njangles

ttt
8/3/06 7:04 PM
stampy

Axis has morning classes (not early morning, though) http://axisjj.com/e/traning_info/index.html Other schools may, too--I think that somewhere on one of these threads (if it hasn't sunk out of sight) is a list of schools in the Tokyo area, most with websites you can check. Do you know for sure where you will be (I'm assuming Tokyo, but you don't say)? If your schedule is tight, your best bet may simply be the one that is closest and meets your schedule...as efficient as transportation is, Tokyo is still a big town and travel can take a bit of time. Have fun and remember, slurping udon is polite. Stampy
8/4/06 12:31 AM
Bof'njangles

Edited: 04-Aug-06
thanks Stampy, I honestly don't know where I'll be but I am shooting for Tokyo!
8/4/06 4:58 AM
Bunnymonster

Edited: 04-Aug-06
Good Luck! Just signed contracts myself, I'm currently training with Paraestra, but will probably have to move when I start work...
9/8/06 1:09 AM
Rox19
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Sep-06
I know most pro hard core dojos have night classes. SOme pro boxing gyms I know (well, one- Shinagawa Ranger gym) has classes starting from 1:30 until oh, maybe whenever? (I never stayed that long). For my eikaiwa, Berlitz, we get two full days off, so I pick the biggest training days at my gym, and then we get off early (6:15) on Saturdays and Sundays. I don't know about AEON or Footsteps. ( never heard of footsteps, actually...). So I get min. 4 days of training, plus I cut a deal to get one extra night because I work mornings.
9/22/06 1:20 PM
stampy

Edited: 22-Sep-06
Hey, Bof'njangles, any update on where you'll be? Did you get Tokyo?
10/3/06 12:50 AM
Opash

Edited: 03-Oct-06
I would imagine you shouldnt have too much trouble finding folks that train during the day - I gather a lot of pros do their training through the day (esp in Boxing and Kick gyms), and most BJJ schools have daytime classes. Although it of course depend on where you live. You will find that living in Japan is not really the bowl of Peaches people hope (grass is always greener and all that). Look at what my homegirl Roxy had to say about work hours etc.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.