UnderGround Forums

Utah Underground >> Tell me about Park City, Camus...

8/4/06 1:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JakeWrestler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Aug-06
ScientificWrestling.com

...can anyone tell me more about the area? How is the MMA and submission grappling scene? Thanks
8/7/06 1:19 PM
DJColdfusion

Edited: 07-Aug-06
JAKE! I have got to get some of your tapes. There's nothing in the way of sub-grappling in Park City and Kamas. There's some talented guys up there and both Rulon Gardner and the Sandersons (Cael and family) spend time in the area but the MMA and subgrappling scene is in Salt Lake City (30 minutes max from Park City) and Orem/Provo (30 minutes south from Salt Lake City. The MMA scene is honestly unreal in Utah. There's been a weekly MMA show on free TV for over three years with new material every week (it currently airing on ParkCity TV locally, MavTV nationally, The Fight NEtwork in Canada, and its on TV in several other countries across Europe. I know that they have actually aired over 200 shows. The show is filmed at live events that happen almost every Saturday Night at local night clubs and occasionally (every six or seven shows) they hold a bigger show at either the "E" Center or the Delta Center. The attendance is not where it used to be right now (the TV show has a different time slot than it used to have) but I've seen 6,000 people at the show (which is almost entirely ametuers). They will actually bo holding a show in Park City on the 12th of August at Club Suede. The MMA show's wewbsite is http://www.ucombat.com There are, on occasion, other shows but they are just not consistant. Jeremy Horn had a show a couple of months ago and it was a good event but I haven't heard anything about him doing aother one. Rich Layton is supposedly planning a big money Delta Center show but that's all I know about it. The sub-grappling scene is growing, rapidly, but still not what it is in a ciry like Los Angeles. However, there is a show coming up on September 9th at the "E" Center that has a $2500 absolute and they are supposedly bringing in some UFC fighters to compete in a couple of superfights. Mark Laimon is reportedly going to fight in a superfight against Mica Cipelli (sp?) on the next show they do (after the Sept. 9th show) Check out: http://www.americangrapplinggames.com for more information on the grappling show. I'm a Machado Jiu-Jitsu guy, but we also do alot of no-gi work. I train, as often as I can, with the Bayless guys, and the Pedro Sauer guys. There is some absolutely incredible grapplers here in Utah. Brandon Ruiz (his brother took 3rd last year in the Greco worlds -- http://www.ironhorsestrength.com/ ) is leaving the US Olympic Training center's Greco program to come back to Utah and start a wrestling progam at The Ultimate Combat Training Center (check slcbjj.com for address and contact information). Brandon is an absolute beast and I can't wait to train with him again. His Body Slm conditioning DVD could be a great product for your organization. If you need any more information about the area, the schools, etc. let me know. You can contact me through our site at: http://www.slcbjj.com or just email me at geraldharris1@hotmail.com There are a ton of Schultz fans in this area and I train off and on with a bunch of his former students/athletes . . . I'd love to get his tapes and Fujiwara's. My personal site, which needs updating, is http://www.maximumg.com is going to be implementing an instructional review section very soon. I have collected over 200 instructionals covering BJJ, Sambo, Wrestling, Conditioning, MMA, etc. that I am in the process of writing reviews for. I would absolutely love to include reviews for any tape you might wish to donate to the cause. I'll have more information up on my site over the next couple of weeks as I begin to implement a new look and feel and other features (expanded technique sections, expanded school listings, etc). Take a look (over the next couple of weeks) and let me know if you'd be interested in having Maximumg.com review your tapes/DVDs. The site is in its RAW form and I haven't updated it regularly for a while but it still gets a decent amount of traffic. Thanks and goodluck!
8/7/06 3:45 PM
JakeWrestler

ScientificWrestling.com

gerald, thanks for the info. My wife went to high school with the Sandersons (she is a year younger than Cael).

We are having a baby in January and we've thought about moving to Utah to be closer to family so I am trying to determine what sort of opportunities there are in that area (she grew up in Heber but we liked the Park City and Kamus areas).

If you are interested in doing instructional reviews for www.scientificwrestling.com, let me know! I'll hook you up with a free membership ($89) and send you DVDs to review. Maybe if you send me sample reviews we can get things rolling... Let me know if you are game.

Jake

training@scientificwrestling.com

8/7/06 4:03 PM
DJColdfusion

Email is on the way! Utah has a ton of grappling and another face on the scene would make it even sweeter. There is some factionalizing (if that's a word) by certain individuals but overall the scene is really open and only seems to be getting better. Last Saturday I went to an open mat at our school that had 5-6 (total) blackbelts from three different schools (Bayless, Machado, Sauer). The Bayless and Sauer guys haven't really gotten along for the last decade or so . . . which is one of the reasons why the day was "special"It was a blast to be in the middle of that and see all of that talent. It happens most Sarurdays at 10am and you're welcome to come if you're interested. Thanks!
8/7/06 7:14 PM
JakeWrestler

ScientificWrestling.com
Wow, sounds awesome. Thanks!
8/14/06 1:21 PM
DJColdfusion

Edited: 14-Aug-06
Just wanted to drop in and say that Dave Anderton, the only guy Iknow who pinned Brock Lesnar during his college wrestling career, came to the open mat on Saturday. The guy is an absolute beast, more Gorilla than man! He and his brother brought Mike Arrantz (sp??), who competed at a fairly high level in Greco himself, down to the gym. Mike's hand was busted from a recent MMA fight but he's planning on making the trip down as much as possible once the cast comes off.
8/14/06 8:11 PM
JakeWrestler

Edited: 14-Aug-06
ScientificWrestling.com
Nice. Man, maybe I will look into setting up shop there in the coming year or so.
8/25/06 7:01 PM
Bill Brasky

Edited: 25-Aug-06
In Heber City, which is quite close to Kamas, is John Shibonis, a black belt under Pedro Sauer. That guy has amazing technical jiu-jitsu and anyone would do very well to train with him. His academy is on the main drag in Heber, and if your wife is from there she could locate it in about 4 seconds.
8/29/06 3:18 PM
JakeWrestler

Edited: 29-Aug-06
ScientificWrestling.com
I think I saw it there, small black and white sign right?
8/29/06 5:28 PM
Bill Brasky

Edited: 29-Aug-06
Yup. That's the one.
10/30/06 4:12 PM
JakeWrestler

Edited: 30-Oct-06
ScientificWrestling.com

We are gearing up to move to Utah in spring. Any good resources for job hunters and housing (I've been using craigslist mostly).

Any good tips on nice areas, etc.? Thanks!

10/30/06 5:27 PM
Bill Brasky

Edited: 30-Oct-06 08:25 PM
So will you be in Park City or Kamas? What city will you be living in?
10/31/06 4:42 PM
JakeWrestler

Edited: 31-Oct-06
ScientificWrestling.com

BB, it is looking like Salt Lake actually (since there are more jobs there), possibly Kamus. I am really pretty open to suggestions though...

10/31/06 6:56 PM
Bill Brasky

Edited: 31-Oct-06
Gotcha. Nice areas all depend on where you want to live. If you want to live close to downtown Salt Lake, there is no better place than the Avenues. Slightly farther away, and a little more expensive is the Harvard/Yale area near the University of Utah on the East Bench of the city. Close to the city, and very cheap, is the Liberty Park neighborhood. It's a little "rougher," but still very livable. If you don't mind a commute there are a shitload of really nice suberbs in the southern end of the valley. Mullet@Heart could tell you more about those. If you live in Kamas you will likely be neighbors with a cow, but it's a nice little town, and property values there are skyrocketing because of it's proximity to Jordanelle reservoir and Park City. I guess it depends on what lifestyle you want and how much you're willing to spend on a house.
11/1/06 5:24 PM
JakeWrestler

Edited: 01-Nov-06
ScientificWrestling.com

We have friends that live in the avenues (but I haven't been there yet). I am afraid of losing my mind in the transition from the hustle bustle of So Cal to the more mellow Utah scene. Maybe moving to SLC is a better option, bigger city, more stimulus.

Where are the best places to buy a home in your opinion (property appreciation wise)?

Thanks for all the info!

11/1/06 6:46 PM
Bill Brasky

Edited: 01-Nov-06
How much are you willing to spend?
11/2/06 12:02 PM
DJColdfusion

Edited: 02-Nov-06
In the words of the great Phil Baloni "Fuhgettaboutit!" Go west side! Why pay all that cash to get a view of your neighbors back yard and/or the Oguirrh mountains when you can cut your housing costs in HALF and live on the west side and get a gorgeous view of the whole valley and the western front of the Rocky Mountains! Seriously though, Bill's question is valid. Prices vary widely depending on where you want to stay. One of my neighbors just moved here from San Francisco with his family. They sold their house in SF for 875K and bought one that has twice the bedrooms and around a 1/4 acre lot for 160K. Not a bad bad boost to his savings if you ask me.
11/2/06 12:57 PM
JakeWrestler

ScientificWrestling.com

That 160K sounds excellent to me! I liked Kamus a lot but I do NOT want to pay alot for a house. That's why we are moving!

I just would like to be close enough to a good hospital and airport.

11/2/06 1:06 PM
Bill Brasky

Anywhere in the Salt Lake Valley is close to the airport. If you live in Kamas, Heber, Midway, etc. you are going to be at least an hour drive from the airport. $160,000 won't go far in the nicer areas closer to downtown. It won't even go far in the nicer suberbs like Draper. I think you could do very well in the Riverton area for that amount, but honestly anything south of Sugarhouse is waaaaay out of my element. My girlfriend calls me an Avenues brat, and she's right, as IMO the world ends after 3300 South.
11/2/06 1:35 PM
DJColdfusion

I'm in West Jordan about five minutes from Bangerter Highway. If you take Bengerter north you will drive directly into the airport. Honestly, the way Utah is setup, on a grid system, its fairly easy to get anywhere from anywhere at anytime. Our area, just south of the US Olympic Speed Skating Oval, has homes that range from the upper 150s to the mid 180s. There are some condos and town homes nearby but they are priced about the same if not more than the single family houses. If you look out west I'd honestly check into houses that are around 10 years old. That way you'll have more opportunities to actually have a yard. All of the new builds have postage stamp sized amounts of grass and you'd have to grease yourself up with crisco to squeeze between your home and your neighbor's nearest wall. There are chrome gyms everywhere (Golds Gym, etc) and a couple of MMA/BJJ schools within 10 minutes. The avenues, IMHO, are too pricy, too cramped, and too old. Sugarhouse is similar in that you pay far too much for what you get. Both areas definitely have their own "feel" to them. I live in "suburbia" with decent shopping, hospitals nearby, good schools, and a never ending weekend onslaught of yard sales and barbecues.
11/2/06 2:37 PM
JakeWrestler

Edited: 02-Nov-06 03:00 PM
ScientificWrestling.com

Here's what I would like to eventually do and this might narrow things.

My in-laws live in Heber so I want to be close enough to them so they can help with the kids but far enough away that I can remain sane.

My wife and I would like to start an dog rescue sanctuary so we will need a good size yard and no close neighbors. (My wife likes the Sugarhouse area, is it expensive?)

I'd also like to start a MMA gym as well. I haven't seen any MMA gyms near park city but then again, I don't know the local market well. I am not sure Park City is particularly under served in that area...

So I want all this plus a cheap house that isn't too far from a hospital. LOL. I am pretty sure that all this more than you want to know but I figured while I have your attention I might as well get the best info I can. Thanks guys for the help.

11/2/06 3:22 PM
DJColdfusion

Well, you don't want to go north because Bountiful is expensive and stinks because of the oil refineries. You've got the Muay Thai institute (Fusion BJJ) in the Sugar House area and Wil Bernales a little south of that. Josh Burkman is supposedly opening a school with Griffen Renault on the south end of the city. On the west side you have the UCTC and Absolute MMA. Don't forget Jeremy Horne's place close to down town. There's plenty of room for a gym; however, you'll most likely have to drive a few minutes (10-15 or so) to get from some property that can handle a dog rescue. If you want to stay in the Salt Lake valley then you will need to look into properties on the south west side of the valley. However, if you're still thinking Park City you can find places 20 minutes outside of town (Coalville area) that will have plenty of available property . . . but we're talking small town here . . . almost no-town. Heber is considerably more active than Coalville and should provide simialr albeit more expensive realestate opportunities. You might consider the west side of Utah County (hyper conservative)which has relatively decent realestate prices and Utah County seems desperately underserved when it comes to MMA with only three places that I know of including Team Samauri X (don't know where they are at), Paul Tom's school (don't know how often he trains people) and the new LA Boxing place. There are a couple of other opportunities for BJJ but they really don't have MMA guys. Good luck
11/2/06 5:27 PM
Bill Brasky

Aside from the fact that DJColdFusion curiously left out the Pedro Sauer academies in Sandy and Orem, he pretty much covered it. I'll add that Sugarhouse is not the place to look at if you want a big yard with no close neighbors. I wouldn't call it "cramped," but it's just not conducive to your needs. Kamas and the surrounding areas are probably your best bet. They're a little rural, but I think that's what you need. IMO you are correct about Park City being underserved for MMA. As far as I know, the closest jiu-jitsu is John Shibonis in Heber, or any of the places in SLC.
11/2/06 5:36 PM
JakeWrestler

ScientificWrestling.com
Awesome, you guys are the best. Thank you.
11/2/06 6:24 PM
DJColdfusion

I don't know why you used the term "curiosly." I'm not too sure what you are insinuating. I didn't mention the orem school because I don't believe Ricky teaches MMA and I left out the Sandy school because I was told that there was no longer MMA classes there either. Jake was discussing MMA and so I referenced the places where I knew MMA was being worked on. I did mention Fusion BJJ and Wil Bernales who are both Sauer affiliates so if your hinting at some sort of purposeful exclusion due to affiliation . . . well, you're wrong. Jake, Bill is right about not wanting to be in Sugarhouse. A dog rescue just wouldn't work there. The valley around Kamas isn't tiny and there are almost always properties for sale on the road to Jordanele. Pricier but they are typically available.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.