UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Die Less Often: KF & DC

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/16/06 5:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sreiter
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Sep-06
island - balicki showed me a bunch of stuff he has - i have some of the stuff xerox'd but not all of it - as for as movement is concerned - i'm not talking about joint movement - you know if you grap your forearm, and press really hard with your thumb on the underside, your fingers curl - your tendons are manually being cntracted - if they are severered, you wouldnt be able to make a fist BTW - when i took privates with chris sayoc - he told me that his systems strikes was based in large part on the teachings of one of his grand (or great grand) father who was a surgeon =
9/23/06 2:03 PM
Crafty Dog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Sep-06
Woof All: Ray, tail wags for the kind words. I too very much enjoyed our time together and look forward to more. Here's a recent letter of recommendation from some training I did using the material in the "Die Less Often" DVD. In the interest of honesty, I must note that when I train LEOs that additional material is shared which is not shared with the general public: The Adventure continues, Crafty Dog =================== To whom it may concern: We would like to express our sincere appreciation to Guro Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny, Head Instructor of Dog Brothers Martial Arts for allowing us an opportunity to participate in his excellent no-nonsense edged weapon defense class. The techniques and methodologies taught succeed where others fail because: 1) of the innovative "Kali Fence", which as a field interview position allows the officer both to prevent access to his sidearm, to advantageously frame the possible angles of engagement to effectively pre-empt attacks, and to initiate handcuffing procedures. 2) the material taught is responsive to the primal realities of criminal assault with edged weapon and with empty hand. 3) the material taught gives the officer the option of creating the range and angle necessary to safely access his/her sidearm or move to restrain/disarm/cuff. 4) the teaching methods impart functional results with surprising rapidity – officers trained can walk away with something that they can use. 5) Guro Denny is very much a "hands-on" teacher, freely moving and engaging with those being trained to maximize their understanding of the techniques – he brings passion and commitment to his work. This course inspires the confidence needed to withstand a full-on mad-dog (no pun intended) street/prison style knife attack. When you have finished the course you will know without hesitation that these counter assault techniques work. I have been involved with SWAT and Special Operations for more than 10 years and can honestly say that I have never written a testimonial favoring any one specific course of training until now and that is because it simply works. Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny brings the reality of edged weapon attacks to the training arena. His techniques and methodologies are applied, not theoretical. His pragmatic edged weapon defense system is distinguished by the fact that it works against all kinds of attacks to include those coming from progressive resistant fighters employing the "sewing machine" style of attack that is so commonly used by street fighters and criminals. Be forewarned, this is definitely not a course for the timid, but when you walk away from the training arena, you will leave with the confidence and an unwavering validation that these methods will allow your people to "die less often" as the result of an edged weapon attack. I highly recommend Guro Denny's Dog Brothers Martial Arts' course for any Special Operations team that is serious about training its people to survive an edged weapon attack. This course will save lives and that is the bottom line. John Mansell U.S. Border Patrol Special Response Team Department of Homeland Security CBP Advanced Training Center Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
10/4/06 8:54 AM
sreiter
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Oct-06 08:54 AM
wow - thats something special that no "team" ever gives every other person who trains them - marc - why not post the "commendation" leo gaje gave you in the PI
10/24/06 2:07 PM
yusul
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Oct-06
interesting thread.
10/28/06 1:29 AM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 28-Oct-06
From another forum: Dog Catcher to the test ----------------------------------------------------- Well I went to my Wednesday TKD class with my son and after class I wanted to give the Dog Catcher technique the "acid test". One of my training partners is a very large former pro ball player that does not like to "hold back" when something does not work. The results were good. He was given a training knife and told to attack and everything worked as advertised. He did not know what to expect so he was not able to "follow along with the drill". I put him on on the ground the first time and had total control every other time. Life is good. __________________ ------------------------------------------------------ Glad to hear that, now I will harder to get the money for the DVDs. Thanks for sharing. ------------------------------------------------------- Can you descibe this technique, or does it require seeing it? Sounds good if you were able to get it working the first time out. =============== The technique is shown in the "Die less often DVD" and is presented by Crafty Dog. I would hesitate to try and describe it for a number of reasons. I think it is something you can learn in a short period of time but you kind of need to see it to understand it. Its general application is a low diagnostic system to deal with common attack techniqes, the knife included. __________________
12/2/06 2:00 PM
Siciliano
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Dec-06
sreiter, Could you come up with a knife defense against someone who's determined to circumcise you? hahaha! J/K Dude come on. Drop the "I hate Marc Denny" thing. It was funny when I first heard your arguments but its becoming lame and redundant. Live and let live dude. Guro Crafty, its good that you got the chance to share/exchange techniques with Ray Floro. He's another weapons guy whom I have nothing but good things to say. Marc Scott, You're an out of shape fat family man. Jeez! I'm out of shape too. hahaha!
12/13/06 12:41 AM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 13-Dec-06
Siciliano: I had a fine time with Ray. His talent is excellent and we hit it off very well. TAC, CD
1/4/07 4:11 PM
jeeperpete
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Jan-07
I just rec'd "Die Less Often - Intro to the Interface of Gun, Knife, and Empty Hand". My full review is listed under my thread "Ordered Suarez+Dog Brothers DVD". From the hip review breaking down each DVD in the set. I believe I rec'd my money's worth. I personally took things from the DVD set right away. Looking forward to watching it again. Next chance to try the Dog Catcher and its parts could be Tuesday night.
2/10/07 2:14 AM
bryggjemann

Edited: 10-Feb-07
I have trained with Blauer, Sayoc, Barbito, and Crafty Dog on the issue of the edged-weapon-assault-ambush on LEOs and they all have great things to offer. Marc Denny has certainly added to our edged weapons counter-assault. There is that overlap that someone else mentioned which just reinforces that the techniques are very valid. Each guro/tuhon/warrior has their twist on things and evolution continues to happen. Crafty Dog brought what his latest material offers; the interface of the empty hand, knife, and gun. As simple as it seems, just because it started as an empty-hand counter v. a blade-ambush doesn't mean you have to disengage before drawing when you can find a controlling position. Marc guided us to positions of control while avoiding the blade as humanly (reflexively-reactively) possible. Also, there was thought to a plan B, C, and D. Marc threw on the light bulb in many areas. Crafty Dog also brought the dark minded intensity of the knife feeder, from interviews with humans who have killed others with knives, to our reality based training arena. There is no holy grail to this problem or we wouldn't be discussing this. It was certainly a priviledge to have had the opportunity to train with Guro Marc Denny. If there is a holy grail, Crafty Dog is sniffing it's smelly butt. A note on training that may be helpful to some: While I have access to FX marking cartridge weapons, we utilize them mostly for our scenario-specific (RBT)drills. We have chosen airsoft for our edged weapon attack-specific drills at EQC because it requires less protection. Highgear fx ready helmets and throat guards, officer's body armor, and redman (macho) groin guards. We are also using the shock knives which are like a mid-level stun gun arcing around the edge of a blade. This sends a blade contact specific shock that burns similar to a cut. The protective gear is necessary for the shock knives also to avoid shock near the head/eye, heart, groin or major arteries. External modifiers such as Low-light/no-light are utilized for the majority of our practical dynamic drills. We also video our drills under the sony nite shot or Gladius strobe for the officers to review their actions good and bad. Sean G.
2/10/07 6:25 PM
jeeperpete
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bryggjemann --- wow, where could a civillian like me buy "shock knives"?? We do long aluminum training knives (dulled/plastic edge) and also short alum. training knives vs. _________ at the GFC in Bay Area N.Cali .... Gints "Baltic Dog" and Co. I would love to try the shock knife. Getting stabbed with a metal training knife is no joke. I still have a point impact bruise from like 4 or 5 weeks ago. Its below my collar bone, in the chest. I still think full on force vs force is the best -- but the added piece of a jolt of Volts would be a nice touch of HOLY SHIT realism, IMO. Anyway -- back to the topic of this thread --- i bought the Suarez + Marc Denny DVDs, and i think they are great. I'm using the dog catcher, or am trying ...and what i've found very successful personally is the idea of that pushing, really SHOVING the opponent back when i get that off-to-the-side angle. shoving and controlling that weapon arm from the oblique -- and doing in in live battles -- its just been huge for me internally. great stuff All, thanks for a chance to share and read all views. jeeperpete
2/10/07 9:52 PM
bryggjemann

jeeperpete, Go to www.shockknife.com for information on the shock knife. We also use training blades from www.sharkee.com and apply training-wrap tape to one edge and apply red crayola washable paint onto the tape for marking purposes. I guess you could use the tape on any training blade with the crayola paint. It washes off the mats good, but will stain clothing. I have tried the no-lie blades with the "blood red lip-stick" and it is one heck of a mess to clean up. The shoving and working the angle is one way to keep the assailant off balance and hopefully takes away that space with which they can gain leverage with the blade-weilding arm. BTW in reference to my previous post, a dog sniffing means he is investigating and breaking the information down very well, in this case Crafty Dog. Fights like butts can be smelly, foul, and nasty.
10/5/07 8:25 PM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 05-Oct-07
Woof All: Our follow-up DVD in the Die Less Often series, "DLO 2: Bringing a Gun to a Knife Attack" will be available for pre-order in the next few days as will the promo clip. Until then here's the promo clip in an alternate location: www.youtube.com/dbmavids The Adventure continues! Guro Crafty
10/6/07 11:38 PM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 06-Oct-07
Here's the text from the back of the box: In DBMA "Die Less Often 1: Intro to the Interface of Gun, Knife, and Empty Hand" we had our FOF (Force On Force) drills take on some of the characteristics of scenario training wherein the players engage in a certain amount of acting. The purpose was to help the viewer get a sense of situations where "the Interface Paradigm" could arise. In this DVD we have deliberately limited ourselves to drills which are intended to isolate the performance of particular physical skills. We want people who go through training with us to have an experience of exactly how much distance they need to ensure for their particular skills and fitness levels that they can ensure a gun solution to a knife problem-- and to recognize when combatives are the first step of the solution. We want them to have a sense of how to maximize their odds with a combatives structure that will enable them to "die less often" when the excrement hits the fan. Here focus is on that structure generating the ability to access the gun (or other weapon). And-- key point here-- we want the underlying structure of the gun fighting footwork and angles and the combatives footwork and angles to be essentially the same thing. In our opinion, the adrenal state demands this. One more point. The idea is NOT to let yourself get into situations where you can/have to use these skills. The purpose of this training is for you to understand what the odds are FOR YOU and integrate these skills into your "threat management" accordingly.
10/10/07 1:59 AM
Owen Gregg
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Oct-07
*tag
10/16/07 10:46 PM
psychoslasher

Edited: 16-Oct-07
I have always been a fan of using a two handed death grip on the attacking arm and switching to two on one. This is a great strategy if you can pull it off but I have recently been exposed to the Dog Catcher material. I was working with some of my students the other day and one of them had hidden a trainer behind his back. As I turned around, he lunged at me with the trainer and I just reacted with the dog catcher. It was a full on attack with him launching "sewing machine" like stabs to the gut. I stopped all of them and actually gave him a bloody nose from a headbutt as I was coming in to defend. I got my 2 on 1 and pressed him up against the wall. This was when he informed me that his nose was bleeding so we stopped. Overall, the Dog Catcher works just as advertised if you practice it. It was a total surprise attack with lots of real time aggression that I was able to shut down.
11/5/07 8:53 PM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 05-Nov-07
Woof Pyschoslasher: Tres cool-- we love hearing stories like these. Woof All: DLO-1 & DLO-2 are now available as a set for $20 off. http://dogbrothers.com/index.php?cPath=39 The Adventure continues, Crafty Dog
11/21/07 4:34 AM
melvinferd

Edited: 21-Nov-07
hi crafty, i really enjoyed the first set. in this followup have you made any modifications to the dog catcher? or is the unarmed approach the same? thanks
11/21/07 8:31 PM
Crafty Dog

Woof Melvin: There are several additional insights on the DC here, which make it worth it for this alone by my criteria, but the focus of this DVD is more on bringing the gun (or knife) into play against a committed knife attack. Perhaps this description will help: ============ Bringing A Gun To A Knife Attack - DVD [DLO2] $40.00 In DBMA "Die Less Often 1: Intro to the Interface of Gun, Knife, and Empty Hand" we had our FOF (Force On Force) drills take on some of the characteristics of scenario training wherein the players engage in a certain amount of acting. The purpose was to help the viewer get a sense of situations where "the Interface Paradigm" could arise. "In this DVD we have deliberately limited ourselves to drills which are intended to isolate the peformance of particular physical skills. We want people who go through training with us to have an experience of exactly how much distance they need to ensure for their particular skills and fitness levels that they can ensure a gun solution to a knife problem-- and to recognize when combatives are the first step of the solution. We want them to have a sense of how to maximize their odds with a combatives structure that will enable them to "die less often" when the excrement hits the fan. Here focus is on that structure generating the ability to access the gun (or other weapon). And-- key point here-- we want the underlying structure of the gun fighting footwork and angles and the combatives footwork and angles to be essentially the same thing. In our opinion, the adrenal state demands this. One more point. The idea is NOT to let yourself get into situations where you can/have to use these skills. The purpose of this training is for you to understand what the odds are FOR YOU and integrate these skills into your "threat management" accordingly." I would add that DLO-2 is very sharply edited, the pace really moves along. For those who are serious about this area of their training I do suggest getting both-- note that the two can be bought as a set at http://dogbrothers.com/index.php?cPath=39 That said, the Kali Fence and the Dog Catcher continue to be an area of considerable research on my part-- my creative juices have really been stimulated. We are preparing to shoot DLO-3 in which we will focus on the KF and DC vs. knife and empty hand. In the triple disc of DLO-1 and the single disc of DLO-2 we sought to show that solid results with regular people in adrenal state drills/scenarios can be achieved in short order. In DLO-3 we will be showing just how powerful this material can be in the hands of someone with cultivated skills. The Adventure continues, Crafty Dog
11/21/07 8:31 PM
Crafty Dog

Woof Melvin: There are several additional insights on the DC here, which make it worth it for this alone by my criteria, but the focus of this DVD is more on bringing the gun (or knife) into play against a committed knife attack. Perhaps this description will help: ============ Bringing A Gun To A Knife Attack - DVD [DLO2] $40.00 In DBMA "Die Less Often 1: Intro to the Interface of Gun, Knife, and Empty Hand" we had our FOF (Force On Force) drills take on some of the characteristics of scenario training wherein the players engage in a certain amount of acting. The purpose was to help the viewer get a sense of situations where "the Interface Paradigm" could arise. "In this DVD we have deliberately limited ourselves to drills which are intended to isolate the peformance of particular physical skills. We want people who go through training with us to have an experience of exactly how much distance they need to ensure for their particular skills and fitness levels that they can ensure a gun solution to a knife problem-- and to recognize when combatives are the first step of the solution. We want them to have a sense of how to maximize their odds with a combatives structure that will enable them to "die less often" when the excrement hits the fan. Here focus is on that structure generating the ability to access the gun (or other weapon). And-- key point here-- we want the underlying structure of the gun fighting footwork and angles and the combatives footwork and angles to be essentially the same thing. In our opinion, the adrenal state demands this. One more point. The idea is NOT to let yourself get into situations where you can/have to use these skills. The purpose of this training is for you to understand what the odds are FOR YOU and integrate these skills into your "threat management" accordingly." I would add that DLO-2 is very sharply edited, the pace really moves along. For those who are serious about this area of their training I do suggest getting both-- note that the two can be bought as a set at http://dogbrothers.com/index.php?cPath=39 That said, the Kali Fence and the Dog Catcher continue to be an area of considerable research on my part-- my creative juices have really been stimulated. We are preparing to shoot DLO-3 in which we will focus on the KF and DC vs. knife and empty hand. In the triple disc of DLO-1 and the single disc of DLO-2 we sought to show that solid results with regular people in adrenal state drills/scenarios can be achieved in short order. In DLO-3 we will be showing just how powerful this material can be in the hands of someone with cultivated skills. The Adventure continues, Crafty Dog
11/22/07 6:47 AM
melvinferd

Edited: 22-Nov-07
thanks for the reply crafty, much appreciated ... sounds all good
1/26/08 8:45 AM
fokket

Edited: 26-Jan-08
ttt
5/6/08 9:26 PM
fokket

ttt

5/7/08 2:14 AM
Joe Maffei
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The simulated organized chaos on the clip looked true to me. I can't comment on the DVD, or the material until I view it and test the concepts for myself. For those in question, I suggest you do the same. But may I also suggest you put the knife in the hands of an experienced MMA fighter with bad intentions, the angered athlete, if you want a true reading.

Best of luck Marc, I hope the people take the time to test your interface.

Joe maffei
6/22/08 4:26 PM
CharlesLewis
801 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been wanting to see these DVDs for a while now, a friend showed me his. I will be ordering a set. Very good stuff, one of the first instructionals I've not fast forwarded through.

A very realistic approach to a shitty situation that some of us face all too often. Thanks Marc.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.