UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> 9/11...what did you do?

9/12/02 10:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tony Blauer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Sep-02 10:29 AM
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.

Readers of the MEntal Edge column: I sent out a private 'hello' to 54 members of our PDR Team, I received a 'galvanizing' letter from Jope Mullings, one of our PDR Pro team members and decided I had to share it here.... This was part of the message I sent out: ==== Well 9/11 passed. What did you do? BIz as usual? Reflect? Memorial? Im in WI giving a groundfighting class, then to Florida for a simulation class, then to San Diego to teach at a firearms conference then to Texas for a SWAT conference, then likely to GA for a daylong meeting/Demo for a new important entity within the federal LEO community, home for a day or two then off to IL for a SPEAR class. Quote of the day: "Mediocre people are always at their best" -Colin Powel IN THE NEWS: PDR Team member Joe Mullings was featured in a TV /news segment in Flordia regarding perosnal safety and airline safety etc, he replicated scenarios with varied focus (kids, womens, confinded spaces) and used his HIGH GEAR suits as well. Congrats Joe! If you lived in the Detroit area, you may have heard me on the radio that AM, I was a guest on one of the stations there, theme was obvioulsy 9/11 but the angle was "How do we mange fear" It was provocative interview and I was pleased with how our FEAR Management research seamlessly answered any question or direction posed by the two interviewers... Stay Safe, Tony
9/12/02 10:28 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 12-Sep-02
HERE IS JOE"S EMAIL TO THE TEAM: Some personal reflection took place. Especially now that I have a son. The question of my mortality comes into my mind more often now, than it did previous to having a child to "be there for". As I drove into the office, I was reminded by a piece that was on the radio speaking of the courage of the people who served their country, specifically, the people that were on flight 93, the flight that crashed into the field in Pennsylvania. I want to believe that they lived their final seconds true to what we study: These incredibly brave people admitted that they were in a bad situation, armed with the information that they had. Terrorists had control of their plane and intended on using it as a missile. They switched form a victim to victors mindset. Talk about predator / prey reversal. They got challenged, a group of them banded together and decided that they were going to over take the dregs that hijacked this plane and decided that a box cutter knife and intimidation were not going to keep them from taking action. They never stopped thinking, they knew that the ultimate outcome of their fate was sealed.....death. However, they decided that they were going to decide where and when this plane was going down and minimize the damage to others. They formulated a plan that took the plane down. Their indignation fueled the fire. "How dare you" Perhaps the three most powerful words to speak or think in an altercation. The people on that plane that day who took action and demonstrated perhaps the most incredible self defense move of all time are examples of what can be done when we follow our natural instincts. When we follow our common sense and we allow our intuition, intelligence and intellect to take control. If you didnt fear fear, what might you do?....... Best Wishes Joe Mullings
9/12/02 10:29 AM
Tony Blauer

Wow Joe. In my own indignation and what-ifing of the events,the fact that I was at Ft Bragg that week, that very day teaching special people and then I had to fly the very first day airports opened...the fact that I am 'me' and was constantly asked "What would you have done?" IN reality and through my own indignation I had observed their actions as obvious and necessary, but I hadn't distilled it, I hadnt created the 'psychodynamic forensic' connect-the- dots to it all as you so eloquently did, in fact, I did what I tell you all at PDR training not to do: ' DOnt look at the technique or final action, rather look at the tenacity, the will the indignation!!' In short, I had never applied 'OUR' Golden Rules from PDR research to their action. Thanks you for doing that... I had goose bumps realizing two things Joe: 1. YES the research applies to everything [even in sacrifice]. 2. YES!! The PDR research is very transferable if it is studied in earnest. Thank you. Tony Blauer
9/12/02 1:27 PM
Eric Cobb

ME Readers: Tony asked me to consider posting my reply to his letter. It's intensely personal, but perhaps important for someone to read/see - so here it is... Hi guys: I just received all the emails and they struck me so much I wanted to stop everything and write to you all. Yesterday was a very difficult day for me. It was, unfortunately, business as usual in many ways plus a night-time powwow that went until almost 10. So during the course of a 16 hour day I had lots of time to think… 9/11 last year – I was sitting in the “model shop” – a weapons development lab/shop at Eglin Air Force base in Florida talking with some of the guys who build our ‘smart’ tech. One guy walks in and says, “A plane just hit the WTC”. We all file into the TV room and minutes later plane #2 comes in. At that moment I got one of the biggest adrenaline dumps of my life as my wife and three kids were headed for the airport in Seattle to fly across country to Florida. I grabbed the cell phone and made a dash out of the building. Thankfully, I got them before they left for the airport and told them to stay put. Little did I know that it would be 2 more weeks before they could fly home… As soon, as I got in touch with them and knew everything was cool, I remembered that Tony was at Bragg so I called him. About an hour later the base went on high alert and I had to leave. They were scrambling fighters right next to the car as I was leaving and the gates were under lockdown with mounted M-60’s and guards everywhere. I can remember it all with such clarity… Fast forward to yesterday – I woke up with thoughts of a year ago on my mind. Had a bit of prayer time for those close to me and then kicked off the day. Trained for an hour and off to work. In the middle of the day, I stopped for lunch. At this place they had a bunch of old magazines and the one on top was SI from the week after. I read it while I ate lunch and nearly lost it several times. Stories of athletes who died - One story of a dad sifting through the rubble the day after looking for his son who began work 6 days earlier on the 104th floor. Wayne Gretzky writing a memorial to an old teammate who died on the United flight. Story after story… It all reminded me that death is coming at some point and made me really focus on United 93 and whoever had the courage to say, “OK, let’s make it happen on our terms…” Jeremy’s now famous words – “Let’s Roll” echoed in my head all day - particularly after seeing the new book with his wife and child on the cover. End result? Same as 9/11 – anger, indignation – Not just “how dare you” but “how the %#$%#$@ dare you!” I’ve been teaching a lot lately and more and more I feel myself emphasizing the power of indignation. The power of “how dare you”. Remember at camp, Tony said one of the most brilliant things (to me) that I’ve ever heard: Ballistics = Biomechanics + Attitude Tied up in that one statement is a lifetime’s worth of research and study – and I’m talking about each of us – our lifetimes… I’ve thought often about how the United 93 warriors must have felt, how they got motivated, how they called their wives and husbands and kids and said good-bye… I’ve visualized the fights, the improvised weapons, the possible tactics, but most of all the courage to do it. It seems to me that this is what we are all about – what BTS is here for. To empower people to do what must be done. To give them the will and skills to live or die on their own terms… Ultimately, that may be the greatest gift of service we can ever give. Thanks for reading this, guys. Stay Safe and God Bless. Eric

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.