UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> spin kicking

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sushi759
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02

Thanks for the reply Tony and the rest of you guys. It makes sense to rather let the opponent present the opportunity of whatever attack is called for rather than seeking for a specific attack...
nowaydo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If "it" kicks, it may be successful. Yet, you can't look for it. Anything has possibilities. But, like Tom said, "high percentage is the way".
2/18/02 1:04 PM
Tom Campbell

Edited: 18-Feb-02
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Thanks CLint, good post. And Deane... "I HAVE A PARTICULAR TECHNIQUE THAT NO MATTER WHAT SITUATION I AM IN IT JUST SUDDENLY APPEARS AND DROPS THE GUY." You too! I woke up one day a couple of years ago and found that in my tool box, its awesome, isnt it?? Been trying to find a name for it though, you know, to help others 'find it/work on it'.... Came up with this: The 'OKthentakethisSpontaneousaudacityfaithmeanessluck' move. Thoughts? :-) T
ironmongoose

Deane, nothing you write shocks us anymore. :)
KENWINGJITSU

"tHe operative concpet was that I didnt TRY to land those 'techniques', the circumstance presented the opportunity an the kick was ALREADY part of my tool box. " WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bremc

...and peolple have the audacty to ask why I love Tony Blauer. Uummmm,Tony? Alabama, Georgia...
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
GUys, POsts are so subjective. Please read the initial poster's question when answering and at times, consider the 'philosophy' of a reply rather than the literal meaning.... 1. Spinning kicks are a risk in a real fight. Period. There are many things that can go wrong. Facing the threat when engaged in close quarter is always preferred to turning one's back. 1. Can a spinning kick be used? Yes. ANything can be used. The reality is determing the probabilty; the likelihood that it will land with success time & again. If those numbers are low, then why bother training it? Of course this is subjective [as are all opinions from everyone]. If the kick is in your arsenal and the circumstance presents itself and it is a 'choice' option, then why not? Looking to make it land is a limiting strategy because when you fixate on a favorite move you simulataneouly negate the spontaneous applications and options of all other moves. ANd yet, I have used short back kicks in two real-time confrontations. One was drawing an attack by feinging fleeing, the other was because of how my body was positioned. tHe operative concpet was that I didnt TRY to land those 'techniques', the circumstance presented the opportunity an the kick was ALREADY part of my tool box. If we anlayze the original questions: Do you think spin kicks can be utilized in the streets in anyway? Should the person be setup correctly for someone to use it? The answer is YES then YES, but no. ANd so everyone is right :-) 'Substance' answers, guys, not 'subject answers'... Tony
Dylan Costigan

"High percentage" is a subjective term. If you train a spinning kick enough and realistically, you can land it a high percentage of the time. Regarding turning your back, if you're semi-decent at the spinning kicks your back is turned for so short a time that it is very difficult for your opponent to take advantage of it. Just my opinion, having landed spinning kicks quite a lot. Dylan.
3/7/02 12:00 AM
Tom Campbell

sushi759

Tony, I train in TaeKwonDo and Jiu Jitstu,i was noticing you're tape and other people's posts about the question on certain kicking. Do you think spin kicks can be utilized in the streets in anyway? Should the person be setup correctly for someone to use it? What do you think?
Shen Long

I was training with a Chinese Shirfu practicing Lan Shou Chuan ( a long fist style from Tienjin,PROC) in a Park in San Francisco about 13 years ago. A homeless man repeatedly challenged the teacher, and finally he said to me, "Jim, show him what Lan Shou Chuan can do." So we squared off. I subliminally noiced im back up somewhat, and without any conscious thought or planning, a spinning heal kick came out of me and hit him in the left temple and he dropped on all 4's like a lead baloon. I had not practice this this kick or anything like it for 20 years, and it "popped out" of me. The Chinese Shirfu was a little p.o.'ed that this was not Lan Shou Chuan, what I had been studing with him for the previous 7 or 8 years. I certainly intended to use Lan Shou, but that is not what "popped out" of me. Tony, is this an example of what you refer to, not looking to make a "technique" work. Thank you. James Fraser/Shen Long
Shen Long

I was training with a Chinese Shirfu practicing Lan Shou Chuan ( a long fist style from Tienjin,PROC) in a Park in San Francisco about 13 years ago. A homeless man repeatedly challenged the teacher, and finally he said to me, "Jim, show him what Lan Shou Chuan can do." So we squared off. I subliminally noiced im back up somewhat, and without any conscious thought or planning, a spinning heal kick came out of me and hit him in the left temple and he dropped on all 4's like a lead baloon. I had not practice this this kick or anything like it for 20 years, and it "popped out" of me. The Chinese Shirfu was a little p.o.'ed that this was not Lan Shou Chuan, what I had been studing with him for the previous 7 or 8 years. I certainly intended to use Lan Shou, but that is not what "popped out" of me. Tony, is this an example of what you refer to, not looking to make a "technique" work? Thank you. James Fraser/Shen Long
KENWINGJITSU

That's what it sounds like to me. It was in your toolbox & you recognized the tool fit.
hal5150

Coach, Will we be covering the 'OKthentakethisSpontaneousaudacityfaithmeanessluck' move at Advanced PDR? I was thinking of renaming it and baseing a whole new system on it after I change the name slightly. 'Hal Kwon Do' maybe? See you this weekend. Hal
nowaydo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well said, KEN!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.