UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Solar panels?

8/23/06 9:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
yarzy1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Aug-06

Does anyone here have solar panels installed on their house? If so, how much was it and did you notice a difference? Would you do it again, etc?
8/28/06 1:35 PM
kanotoa
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Aug-06
I am interested in doing this. If you don't have a solar water heatr I'd advise you to get that first. Solar water heaters are like 65% efficient. PV is only 17%. In a nut shell I heard with the Fed rebate of 35% that is capped at $5K (I think) plus your state adn local electric company rebates you can put a small pannel array with a big inverter. Every year you add panels to get the max rebate. I believe the payback is 7 years with this model. If you take out a home equity loan your loan payment is usually less than your old bill. Being efficient is much cheaper than building a big solar system. You have to try and get your electric bill down first. So far I have a solar water heater and CF bulbs. I need to change my electric clothes dryer and electric back up water heater. If your power company has net metering this helps. You save a lot of money on buying a battery pack. Net metering lets you build up credits during the summer which you can use in the winter. Let me know how your project goes.
9/5/06 1:36 PM
kanotoa
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Sep-06
yarzy1 where do you live? I know PA but in the country? I think a windmill would be good to supliment your power if you don't have NIMBY people. Also if you made your Prius a plug in you could drive for free too.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.