UnderGround Forums

TravelGround >> Victoria,Vancouver or Tofino ??

8/24/06 9:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Winston Wolf
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Aug-06

which would be the best place to visit or could u do all 3 ? are the mountains as big in Tofino ? I know that Pacific Rim Park is near there .Which would u recomend and where t go when ur there ? thanks
8/26/06 11:23 AM
Big Pete

Edited: 26-Aug-06
love bc...... ahh going in a month!
8/28/06 8:27 PM
JomamaNW

Edited: 28-Aug-06
Vancouver. I live here in Victoria and I dont understand what the big deal is. Its O.K. here. I may be a little jaded being from seattle and all but I have been to all three places and Vancouver is your best bet for sure. A ton of things to do there AND you could drive 2 hrs north to whistler village OR take a ferry to Vic for a day if you wanted. Tofino is nice. There are people our surfing (3-4 ft waves when I went)and it takes about 5-6 hours to get there from Vic.
8/29/06 12:43 PM
Winston Wolf

Edited: 29-Aug-06
guess after a big plane ride i probly wouldnt want to go to Tofino .Im more interested in the nature aspect which is why i considered Tofino which is near Pacific Rim Park.I was considering going ot Whistler .Went to Banff last year and loved it Thanks for the reply
9/15/06 5:01 PM
ironmongoose

Edited: 15-Sep-06
Tofino is pretty limited in scope. There are several companies that do boat tours in Clayoquot Sound (e.g. kayak, whale-watching) but they all have pretty short tours that are all the same. Most folks go to Tofino for surfing or surf kayaking. Hot Springs Cove is also worth a visit. Storm-watching is apparently very big there as well, if you're there in the right season, also migratory birds on the mudflats. On the way to Tofino you can swim in Sproat lake, see Carmanah (better than Cathedral Grove), see a bunch of other things on the island. I haven't been to Victoria in ages. It's mainly known for gardens, old people, and strippers.
9/16/06 9:27 AM
Winston Wolf

Edited: 16-Sep-06
im starting to think stay in Vancouver 4 days and Whistler 3 days and skip Tofino which is far and Victoria maybe go there for a visit for half a day
9/18/06 3:04 PM
ironmongoose

Edited: 18-Sep-06
Winston I wouldn't bother taking the ferry to Victoria for a half day unless you have something very specific in mind, say The Fox strip club which several people here have reccommended. When are you going to be in Whistler, ski season? Be advised it's an expensive place.
9/19/06 8:42 AM
Winston Wolf

Edited: 19-Sep-06
going to go in the summer HOw is Kennady lake in Vancouver Island ?
9/19/06 5:01 PM
ironmongoose

I've never been to Kennedy Lake. I spend most of my time on the ocean coast. The only lake I recall is Sproat Lake, which some people like to stop at on the way to Port Alberni, Ucluelet, or Tofino. They say it's the best lake swimming on the island because the shallowness of the water allows it to get quite warm from the sun. I just checked, and apparently a hostel bed in Whistler can be over $70. Figures. My friend owns a tiny condo at the Pinnacle, and it rents for several hundred per night in peak season. Unless you're skiing, better to be elsewhere in Garibaldi, or spend your time in the Rockies, Selkirks, or Valhalla ranges instead.
9/19/06 8:34 PM
Winston Wolf

thanks ,sounds like its gunna be tough to get Vancouver,Whistler,Victoria and Tofino in a week .Still got a while to plan it though.
10/14/06 1:32 PM
white belt
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Oct-06
Very easy to see all three in a week if you have a car. Lots to see and do in Vancouver but since you are Nature guy we'll start with the Drive north towards Whistler after you check out Lynn Canyon park. Britania Beach, hit the mining museum, then on to Shannon falls further up the road just befor Squamish I'd hike the Chief to the second peak, very nice view, depending on when you are coming Squamish has thousands of eagles in Brackendale. Awesome mountain biking in Squamish. On towards Whistler, Brandywine falls are impressive, Whistler, lots of great hiking in the area depending on what time of year you are coming, the town itself is expensive and touristy but its nice to ride the chairlifts depending on the weather.
10/14/06 1:59 PM
white belt
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Back down to Horseshoe bay across to Nanaimo on the ferry. From nanaimo to Tofino I don't know as well, Little Qualicum falls, Cathedral grove (MacMillan park. Lots to see and do in Tofino, take a whale watching tour on the Zodiacs, make sure you piss before getting into the boat. Back down through Nanaimo to Duncan maybe the Forestry Museum, Back track a bit to the road to Lake Cowichan, back roads to Port Renfrew, must see Botanical Beach in Port Renfrew at low tide. Renfrew is one end of the West Coast Trail. Renfrew to Victoria, lots of beautiful beaches to see. Victoria, Royal BC Museum is great, again lots of city stuff, the ferry back from Victoria to Tsawwassen be sure to be out on deck for the first part of the trip. Search all the names I mentioned on the net to plan an itinerary, have a good trip.
10/14/06 2:56 PM
Winston Wolf

thanks yaal Sounds like a great place

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.