UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> A little freaky

8/29/06 3:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Aug-06

What It Feels Like... To be Constricted by a Python By Tom Kessensich, 47, herpetologist; As told to Peter Martin For a while I kept a ten-foot amethystine python in a cage in my house. He was as big around as three or four garden hoses. One day, I stuck my hand into his cage to retrieve a rat he'd dropped, and, seeing movement near his prey, he nailed my forearm. I'm a hockey player and I consider myself fairly quick, but the strike was lightning fast. He dug in and I started bleeding. Was it painful? Well, he has about eighty needlelike teeth, and he left a U shape on my arm. So I'd say yes. I grabbed his jaw with my other hand and put pressure on both sides, but he didn't release. Right about then I felt the coil start to come up my arm and loop over my shoulder. It's just like an octopus tentacle: It finds a way to get around you. A python's bite isn't venomous, but they can kill humans by asphyxiation. I decided to run to the bathroom to run cold water over his head. By the time I got there, he'd started to coil around the back of my neck. In three to five seconds, he wrapped around my upper torso and neck. He was trying to get as many coils around me as he could. Once they get those coils around, it's just like a compactor; they just pull it tighter. I could still breathe, but it was hard. The pressure was unbelievable -- so strong, so oppressive. The cold water on his head shocked him, and he actually coiled tighter. I started to panic, but I kept him underwater, and after fifteen seconds I could feel him trying to get his mouth off. He was dug in so deep, he was having trouble. I've got blood running down my arm, so it's a mess. With constrictors, you have to push their heads forward to pull them off because their teeth are curved inward. I reached down behind the head and pushed in and up with my thumb. Fortunately, he released and I was able to work the coils off me. Unfortunately, he also got really stressed and defecated all over my bathroom. © 2006 by Hearst Communications Inc.
8/30/06 9:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Trust
688 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Aug-06
"Unfortunately, he also got really stressed and defecated all over my bathroom. " That's what you call adding insult to injury, LOL.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.