UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Fantasy Recommendation

8/29/06 1:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Aug-06

I noticed in the re-read thread that we have quite a few people who enjoy the fantasy genre. I've been a fantasy bookworm my entire life. The books I've seen listed here are all great but I haven't seen people mention one of my absolute favorite authors; Steven Brust. If you like fantasy and you haven't read Brust, pick up some of his books. He is by far the most entertaining read in the genre. His Vlad Taltos series is my favorite ongoing story. I prefer it to Wheel of Time, Song of Ice and Fire and Malazan Books of the Fallen. It isn't a big serious epic, just a fun adventure. So.....buy Brust :)
8/29/06 2:16 PM
deepu
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Noted. I'll check his stuff out. For me, George RR Martin's Game of Thrones series is hands down the best.
8/29/06 10:33 PM
Jenny
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

me too. katharine kerr is still my favorite, but i love them all.
9/13/06 6:39 PM
ValarMorghulis

Edited: 14-Nov-06 10:40 PM
I'll check him out, Lymond, thanks. I'm retracting my recommendation for Greg Keyes. Don't waste your time reading him, there's too many other authors out there that do it better.
9/14/06 4:04 PM
confusion

Edited: 14-Sep-06
Just started Malazan. I remember Brust's stuff being quite fun. Around the same time I was reading Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of Flame series which was also pretty light yet entertaining. Recently I finished Bakker's Prince of Nothing series which I thought was very cool. Dark, complex, philosophical, and set in a pretty interesting little world. Check it out if you can find it.
9/14/06 9:19 PM
OctaviousBP

Edited: 14-Sep-06
I read this entire series in about two weeks. I found them to be quite the page-turners. Legend of the Five Rings - Clan War
9/15/06 8:23 PM
Subadie

Edited: 15-Sep-06
Fantasy recommendation #1 Zelazny's original Amber series
9/16/06 12:07 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Sep-06
Subadie I've been meaning to read those for a long time. I think your rec will be the proverbial straw. Can't believe it has taken me this long to get to a series that is considered a fantasy classic. Octavius thanks for the rec, I will check them out. If you like fantasy with asian settings, check out Lian Hearn. She is about to wrap up her Tales of the Otori. They are geared towards a little younger audience but still pretty good. Confusion I have to disagree about Bakker. I grabbed the first two in his series and I'm sure I'll read the third some day but I really am not impressed. The premise seems to be Protagonist smart, everyone else really dumb. There is just something about the series that really throws me off. On the other hand, I think Bakker has potential and I'll give a future series a chance.
9/16/06 8:37 PM
Subadie

Edited: 16-Sep-06
Lymond, I'm glad you're going to read it. Corwyn is a great character. You've probably heard that there is a second series starring Corwyn's son Merlin that does not get as good reviews. However, I greatly enjoyed them both.
9/19/06 1:02 PM
mteub
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Sep-06
The Varian Memiors.....
9/24/06 9:44 PM
ocianain

Edited: 24-Sep-06
Expecting Someone Taller by Tom Holt. The last of the frost giants comes to a bad end, hilarity ensues. Anything by Terry Pratchet Imaro by George Saunders. Adventure in a Africa that never was. Not a Conan clone a unique creation that stans beside, Conan, Tarzan and John Carter. Khilt - Bison Press has republished the adventures of Khilt the Cossak. Awesome! Howard loved Lamb and all his writings.
9/25/06 1:35 PM
paw
1385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Sep-06
The Memory, Thorn and Sorrow trilogy by Tad Williams.
9/30/06 10:27 AM
IndianaBrandon

Edited: 30-Sep-06
Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series is very good. Im on book four at the moment.
10/4/06 12:59 PM
shmuckothemighty
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Oct-06
Anything by Robin Hobb or Stephen R Donaldson
10/11/06 11:47 PM
OctaviousBP

Edited: 11-Oct-06
Wheel of Time... worth it?
10/12/06 1:30 AM
Lymond

Edited: 12-Oct-06
Wheel of time books 1-6 worth it, since then, eh not so worth it. Robert Jordan has some rare disease so not even sure if he is going to be able to finish the series, but if he is able, then the next book should be the last. I'd advise waiting til then unless you want the frustration of a never ending wait. If you're just looking to read some epic fantasy, try the aforementioned Song of Ice and Fire series by Martin or Malazan Books by Erikson. Both very good ongoing series.
10/12/06 10:08 AM
deepu
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Oct-06
Lymond, I'm almost done reading "The book of Jhereg" which is the first three Vlad novels in publication order. Thanks for the recommendation, I'm loving it. Not quite George RR Martin level, but still awesome.
11/1/06 4:32 PM
PoundforPound
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Nov-06 04:55 PM
It would totally suck if Jordan wasn't able to finish the Wheel of Time series. All that time spent reading the books flushed down the toilet.
11/5/06 12:29 AM
Faxon

Edited: 05-Nov-06
Just got into the Malazan series by Steven Erikson over the last couple of years. To me it has surpassed George R R Martin's effort as well as all others, and now reigns supreme in my book.
11/6/06 1:47 AM
SacWerneck

Edited: 06-Nov-06
GirlGround Team Sexy
Actually jordan is doing the last battle now in the 12 book but plans to write offshoots and prequels. BUT we should have SOME closure
11/12/06 1:58 AM
Sadyv

Edited: 12-Nov-06
China Mieville's three Bas Lag books, Perdido Street Station, The Scar, and Iron Council are all excellent, and well outside the norm. Gene Wolfe is one of the greatest writers alive today, regardless of genre. Just so luckily for us fantasy and science fiction fans he tends to work most often in that field. His Book of the New Sun series is incredible, and his newer books, The KNight and The Wizard are a more traditional quest tale, but its Gene Wolfe we are talking about so its not that simple. He is a fantastic writer. His writing has the great ability to be deep and layered and complex, yet its never hard to follow, moves fast, and is very easy to enjoy on the surface level for the plot and characters. He never forgets to tell an entertaining tale, in addition to fulfilling the "higher" literary aims.
11/12/06 12:01 PM
Lymond

Edited: 12-Nov-06
Good call on China Mieville. Amazingly original writer. The world he has created should provide fodder for him for many years to come. I'd pick The Scar as my favorite by him. Unfortunately I thought his short story collection was pretty mediocre. Deepu, glad you picked him up. Hopefully you liked Jhereg enough to get the rest of his collections. His writing gets stronger as the series progresses and he learns his craft. I can understand preferring Martin's work but only due to epicness, not entertainment value :)
11/13/06 2:50 AM
Jonwell
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Nov-06
Just finished the first Malazan book. Very gripping, I'm really looking forward to the rest. My library is slow as shit in acquiring them. George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire still reigns supreme in this genre tho, imo.
11/13/06 1:21 PM
Lymond

Edited: 13-Nov-06
Just wait Jon, the Malazan series is so much bigger than SoIaF and imo better written, that once you get a few books into it you will have it at the top of your list. Martin tells a good story but I don't think he is that skilled a writer. I mean, I love to reread books but I can't really reread any of Martin and in the short time I've been reading Erikson, I've already reread a couple of his books.
11/14/06 2:07 PM
Fulkrum78

Edited: 14-Nov-06
Erikson rules. I just hate that the books get released in Europe years before they do in the US. I was in Ireland 2 years ago and they had the first 5 books out in hardback. At the time, I didn't realize they weren't all available stateside or I would have bought them all on the spot... I like Martin's stuff as well. Very enjoyable. Brust's books are great (and hes a nice guy, used to talk to him via email). For popcorn and a movie kind of books, check out Jim Butcher's stuff. His Dresden novels are great, and his Academ books aren't bad either.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.