UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> Takafumi Hanai and Yoseikan

8/29/06 3:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ResuTudo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Aug-06

I remember when Hanai made his ZST debut the video package seemed to me to have clearly said out Yoseikan. Was Hanai a student of Yoseikan Aikido? A Yoseikan DVD: http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=17863&cat=&page=1 Wiki on Yoseikan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoseikan Was Yoseikan a style that always emphzsized multi-ranged crosstraining? The wiki article states that Hiroo Mochizuki has been teaching "his" style since the 1970s even though his father did not give him the chairman's seat til his passing in 2003. Is this style in any relationships to the Shoot Aikido style which I discussed a couple of threads down in the Other Combat Sports in Japan thread? Do any (other) kakutougi fighters have a base in Yoseikan?
8/30/06 4:30 AM
Paul Carroll
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Aug-06
Yoseikan has no relationship to Aikido SA. Mochizuki was one of the top guys Kano sent across to learn Aikido from OSensei. From his combined Judo/Karate/Aikido/other disciplines he felt that sacrifice throws (sutemi) where some of the most effective type of throws, and you'll find a lot of them in the Yoseikan syllabus. Do a search for Seifukai organisation and you'll find the current mainstream Yoseikan line. At the Hombu they have (or had when I last checked) classes in karate, judo & aikido. Aikido SA is a spin-off of Yoshinkan Aikido, when one of the top Shihan left after Shioda died to do his own thing. If you see any of his videos he basically tears in to Aikido as being ineffctive based on their training methods , as oppossed to the technques taught. He has strong backing from both Daido Juku's Azuma, and Shin Kyokushin's Midori. A recent development is Hatenkai Aikido which is a splinter group of Aikido SA, which does allow controlled head punching and they where face bogu/helmets.
8/30/06 7:56 AM
ResuTudo

Edited: 30-Aug-06
Thank you Paul.
9/1/06 4:48 PM
ResuTudo

Edited: 01-Sep-06
By the way, what is Seika Budo?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.