UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Applying to Grad school...

9/1/06 1:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
elder
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Sep-06

Ok obviously the basic stuff is easy... application, fee, transcripts, GRE scores, references, blablabla. But what is with all this financial aid sh*t! Every school does it differently, and to make it worse, I have no idea about any of that crap to begin with. I've been babied through UG because my parents saved and put away for 4 years of college but going into Grad school I'm on my own. Someone kill me now.
9/1/06 6:09 PM
Gortiz

What state are you in? I assume the school has a Financial Aid office? Are you going to have a teaching assistantship, research assistantship, or anything like that? The aid will vary depending on that. Ex. a Research Assistant at an NJ state U. may not get tuition remission (or whatever it's called where they pay for you), but pay less than 2% in fed and state tax. One teaching assistant I know only gets $750 a semester, but everyone with Fellowships work 40+ hrs a week and have full time classes. They have full tuition remission, though.
9/1/06 10:46 PM
elder

I'm in PA and I am going to try to get an assistantship of some sort, but thats what I'm confused about. I was under the assumption I would find out about that at the same time I got accepted, but now some schools say those decisions are made after I'm accepted and decide to go. But a large influence on my decision to go is going to be on if I get an assistantship! I know I need to sit down with a Financial Aid person at each school, I just wanted to get on here and bitch a little bit first anyway.
9/3/06 2:13 AM
Gortiz

Edited: 03-Sep-06 02:15 AM
Is it Penn State or another state school? At Rutgers, it's the Directors of the programs within the Depts who decide on who gets the Assistantships, and it might be others who decide who gets the Fellowships. (Fellowships are run with a private corp.) That would then get reported to the Financial Aid office.
9/3/06 7:25 PM
dnwsr

Edited: 03-Sep-06
most schools automatically consider everyone for assistantships, without you having to fill out a separate form. however, you will need to apply to FASFA separately if you aren't positive about actually getting an assistantship. chances are you won't qualify for a grant, but they'll set you up with a loan (don't expect the best rates). what happens with the assistantships is that they make an initial round of offers to the top candidates (usually around march, varies by school). those people then have til around april 15th to make their decisions and inevitably, some of the assitantship offers don't get taken. then, they go to their second choices, etc. you should only commit to a school if you are willing to pay tuition there. don't assume you'll be given an assistantship, even if they try to tell you there is a good chance down the road. if you get funding initially, then that obviously won't be a problem.
9/4/06 2:13 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 04-Sep-06
I got some merit based help which you should get in the spring with any acceptance letters you get. If you arent getting merit aid or other forms of free aid, dont go to that school unless you want the debt.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.