UnderGround Forums

LEOGround >> How do U handle Bureauacracy?

9/2/06 9:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cycklops
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Sep-06

I don't know how other agencies are but BP seems to get their nose into every aspect of your life. Management knows the answer but won't flat out tell you. They'll wait til you make your mistake without warning you first (when a warning would have saved you from making the mistake) and then burn you. It's like they set you up for failure. Why? How are you supposed to handle this? I know the answer, just deal with it, there's nothing you can do about it. I can deal with the criminal element and the potential for getting shot etc., that doesn't seem to stress me out, BUT dealing with management is a whole other issue.
9/2/06 12:10 PM
FJJ828
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Sep-06
NAPLES BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU L.L.C.
I think it's like that everywhere to a degree. It's not the administration itself, but the personalities involved. I think most people who put a lot of effort into their job feel that they are being bent over by the agency from time to time. The solution? Don't care as much about your job. But then you become part of the problem. There has to be a balance.
9/3/06 3:19 AM
CUFFS137

Edited: 04-Sep-06 05:20 PM
As FJJ said, it's like that everywhere. I disagree w/not caring as much about your job. We all know guys like that, and what good are they? That said, over the years I've understood how they've become that way. Ideally good police go to the upper echelon, but often it is egotistcal climbers who need power over those around them, and need to CONSTANTLY remind those around them of their power. The solution I offer to newer guys is find a way to love the position you are in (usually patrol). If there is nothing you want from the brass, then they are less likely to be able to cause you stress. If you are happy in your position and relatively unbothered by the inevitable administator BS then you will be more effective in your job, and maybe a more likely candidate for upward or lateral movement. If you can find a way to be content like that, any movement would just be gravy anyway. It's to easy to spend what should be a cool career stressing, and banging your head against a wall that your will never crack.
9/3/06 3:48 AM
FJJ828

Edited: 03-Sep-06
NAPLES BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU L.L.C.
Of course my crack about not caring was meant partially in ironic jest. Those that take too much of it home with them become casualties of the system.
9/3/06 5:48 PM
CUFFS137

Edited: 03-Sep-06
"Those that take too much of it home with them become casualties of the system." True.
12/22/06 2:40 AM
GladiatorGannon
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Dec-06
so true (all of it).
12/27/06 9:00 PM
pfsjkd
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Dec-06

Carl,

can you elaborate a little more?  I'd like to compare your experiences at your station with mine.  I can't say that I've felt like you do, although I understand where you're coming from.

12/29/06 3:33 PM
olfocker

Edited: 29-Dec-06
BP was better before they did mass hiring and got all warm and fuzzy with the public. When I first started we had about 5 to 6 guy's on a shift to cover a huge area and we looked out for eachother, including the first line supv's. Bad management was the main reason I transfered out.
1/8/07 2:18 PM
cycklops
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Jan-07
pfsjkd, One of the things I had heard about my station was the fact that it was well managed. The sups were agent-oriented etc. Now that the station has grown so quickly in such a short amount of time it's going through growing pains. One of the guys that's been there for the past 20 years has moved up to FOS and essentially runs the station. He is the epitome of micromanagement. He's into everything and knows what's going on with every aspect of the station to the point it's kinda goofy. Line of thought is, if you go to our west desert there's a chance you chase, they bail, it's a not a capture situation anymore but a rescue situation. To avoid that, agents are not allowed in the west desert. No apprehensions = no problems. We're issued new Kilos. He kept the keys so agents HAD to use the older vehicles, that way new vehicles stayed new. The PAIC put a stop to that. My personal issue was this, he got wind that I was gonna fight in a smaller show. Instead of pulling me aside and telling me to watch myself he was sneaky. He sent an email, presumably as a joke, to the PAIC and SPA's of that vid of the guy throwing the low kick and breaking hs own leg. It was labeled "Heads up for Mr. Tyler." It was more of a "look what an agent is gonna do. I'm on top of it." He got involved and I had to write a memo to the PAIC and Chief asking for permission to fight. In that memo I had to explain exactly what was involved in the "fight." I had to explain that I understood the potential for harm in what I was gonna do. Then I had to request permission for secondary employment (even though I wasn't gonna make any money on it.) Finally he pulled me into his office and essentially asked me if I was aware of what would happen if I was seriously injured. Essentially, he was saying he'd seek my termination if I went through with it and got seriously hurt, though he wouldn't flat out say that. I also flat out asked him if that was the case and he gave me the political answer (no answer.) It stemmed from complete ignorance of what the sport is about and his insecurity that "something" is going on at the station that he doesn't have his finger on. But the fact that he is management I had to deal with it.
1/8/07 3:18 PM
pfsjkd
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unfortunately, there are guys like that everywhere.  I am at a loss as to why they're allowed to run unchecked so often, though.  If I were the PAIC, I'd be jerking that guy's chain on a daily basis.  But in fairness to the PAIC, he prolly doesn't know all the shit the guy gets up to.  Shit, I'd think that you'd want MORE rescues as opposed to fewer.  Good PR and it justifies the high-speed, low-drag teams.

Did you talk to a union rep?  Sounds like bullshit for him to compel you to fill out a request for secondary employment when it's not a source of income.

I'm sure you could find assholes like that in just about every agency.  I don't think that guy is indicative of only the BP.  We had an SOS that wanted to prohibit all vehicle stops if it were raining.  You know the drill; vehicle stop turns into failure to yield, failure to yield turns into crash, crash turns into lawsuit, etc.  Luckily the PAIC nixed the idea very quickly.

Don't worry, he'll kiss enough ass that he'll soon get promoted to A-chief and then he'll be outta your hair.  :-)

1/8/07 4:35 PM
cycklops

I wish that were the case but he's been very clear he's not leaving no matter what. Entire career in Blythe. Will retire in Blythe. As we're growing we need an APAIC and though he's not technically next in line he's actively pursuing it. And your right, the PAIC doesn't know what's going on with him because the guy is a master manipulator. The PAIC only knows what this guy feeds him so if he just feeds him bullshit about how well he's got the station under control he looks like a superstar. Also, the PAIC is here for one thing, to put another notch on his belt. He was hand chosen for his ability to take a small station and turn into something. He is very good at what he does due to connections etc. That being said, I'm sure his main concern isn't the way the FOS is running shit. As long as I don't want anything from anyone I do fine.
1/8/07 6:42 PM
GladiatorGannon
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"We're issued new Kilos. He kept the keys so agents HAD to use the older vehicles, that way new vehicles stayed new. The PAIC put a stop to that." LOL cyclops, thats hysterical!
1/8/07 6:48 PM
GladiatorGannon

Edited: 08-Jan-07 06:50 PM
with us, the headquarters types get all the new cars (you know, the guys that don't actually go to calls. more of them every day.). the new unmarked cars go to civilian "consultants" who work at headquarters (and obviously, don't go to calls). once the car stops working right is when they give it to a working cop.
1/10/07 7:53 PM
pfsjkd

Edited: 10-Jan-07

Entire career in Blythe. Will retire in Blythe.

Depends.  He may cut his own throat with that attitude.  I'm willing to bet that at the very least he ends up at Sector HQ.  At least then he couldn't micromanage you so much.

Hang in there.  Maybe put in for one of the special teams, like SRT or BORSTAR (I would have definitely done this if I didn't have other plans).  Hell, given the shape you have to be in to fight you could prolly handle BORTAC (although they're gone ALL the time, from what I hear).

1/14/07 12:11 AM
cycklops

Edited: 14-Jan-07
I'm in pretty good shape, good enough to give BORTAC a try, but they are gone most of the time. When SRT and BORSTAR come up I'm definitely trying those. Both will get me down Yuma. I'm also gonna try out for PTITP and hopefully get back to the academy.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.