UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> favorite translations

9/3/06 5:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
scaf
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Sep-06 05:54 AM

it would be cool if some of you guys posted your favorite translations/translators of any non english works. i myself am interested in some good translations of greek stuff (plato and heraclitus in particular) right now. feel free to post anything that particularly strikes you on any work though. no telling when it may come up that i will have/want to read a particular philosopher.
9/3/06 9:29 PM
dnwsr
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Sep-06
bloom's translation of the Republic is excellent. regardless of your particular thoughts towards their general philosophical attitudes, the Straussians have provided some top notch translations. Mansfield's translation of the Prince is one of the best out there too.
1/28/07 6:19 PM
rkjmd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Jan-07
dnwsr is correct
1/29/07 9:12 AM
Socrates

Edited: 29-Jan-07
In supprot of dnwsr, I really like Seth Benardete's translations of Platonic dialogues - they are extremely literal, which makes them great for a careful study, but not for a quick, pleasant read. Same goes for Joe Sach's translations of Aristotle - He tries to avoid using the standard Latin words in his translations, which he claims are misleading. For instance, instead of "actuality", he has "being-at-work"... he explains his reasons for this in his introduction. Basically, he claims that Aristotle did not use "scientific" terms, but instead he used common Greek words in very unusual ways, in order to prompt his students thought in a way that dead, scientific terms cannot do. Sachs tries to recreate this. At the very least, it makes for an interesting translation of Aristotle.
2/1/07 1:42 PM
rkjmd

Edited: 01-Feb-07
Met Seth Benardete one weekend, that guy is a genius.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.