UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Thoughts on Cormac McCarthy

2/8/07 12:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mule
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Feb-07
Read a review of the Road in Outside magazine last month and although I thought it sounded good I forgot about it until I read this thread last week. Loaded up bought Blood Meridian and I'm going to read it as soon as I finish the shitty book I'm reading right now.
6/12/07 3:12 PM
HardHittingHeeb
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Jun-07
Any of you dopes see the Oprah interview he did? Really cool.
6/13/07 2:36 PM
El Maquina

Edited: 13-Jun-07
I'll have to try Blood Meridian.
7/8/07 4:05 PM
Neckcranku
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Jul-07
"The Road" was a fantastic book!
7/8/07 4:09 PM
Neckcranku

Edited: 10-Jul-07 09:45 AM
*double post :(
7/10/07 2:31 AM
Sadyv

Edited: 10-Jul-07
"McCarthy is the best living American writer. no questions asked." NEgative. Gene Wolfe deserves that title. Unfortunatly, he writes fantasy, by which I mean the true sense of the word, fiction with fantastic elements, not fucking dwarves and elves or other Tolkien inspired nonsense, so he recieves little credit and attention from the mainstream crowd.
7/10/07 10:06 AM
HardHittingHeeb

Edited: 10-Jul-07
Throw your favorite Wolfe paragraph on here, I'll top it bigtime with one from Cormac.
7/11/07 9:43 PM
Sadyv

Edited: 11-Jul-07
"Throw your favorite Wolfe paragraph on here, I'll top it bigtime with one from Cormac" LOL, what? I've read McCarthy, and I've read Wolfe. Why don't you do the same and see who you prefer? THe above paragraph isn't that impressive. Its like something from Stephen King's Dark Tower series, just with a marginally better vocabulary.
7/14/07 4:46 PM
HardHittingHeeb

Edited: 14-Jul-07
Still waiting on Sadyv's quote. You threw down the gauntlet, back it up biatch.
7/30/07 1:11 AM
HardHittingHeeb

Edited: 30-Jul-07
I'll reserve judgment until Sadyv give us a Gene Wolfe quote to blow our minds. Till then, check out this parody of the interim champ: http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0730,idea,77350,9.html
7/31/07 9:44 AM
Neckcranku

Edited: 31-Jul-07
That trailer looks great!
8/8/07 11:34 PM
hojotoh

Edited: 08-Aug-07
Just finished Blood Meridian and picked up The Road for tomorrow. Im man enough to admit I need a dictionary with me to read his stuff, but its amazing!! My favorite passage from Blood Meridian is The Judge's rant about War. War Is God.
8/19/07 8:15 PM
cycklops
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Aug-07
Just started Blood Meridian. So far so good.
8/27/07 2:52 AM
Kneeblock
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Aug-07

It's been nearly 9 months and I'm just easing into the final 80 pages of BLOOD MERIDIAN.  What a journey!

I took a lot of breaks though and read other stuff.  Reading it in one sitting is like reading the whole Bible!

8/29/07 5:31 PM
CAMEL KILLER
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Aug-07
Blood Meridian was the best book I have ever read as well. I also liked the road.
8/30/07 4:13 PM
artvanderlei

Edited: 30-Aug-07
Oh shit -- did this guy just go "Judge Holden" on Cormac McCarthy and leave his post-Blood Meridian bibliography bloody and buggered like "The Kid" in the shithouse? http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200107/myers Skip to the "Muscular Prose" section if you want to read his thoughts on Cormac right away, but this article is already an abridgment of a longer work, and I think a lot of you might find the whole thing really interesting.
8/30/07 5:16 PM
CAMEL KILLER
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, he loves to hear himself type doesn't he. I love the last line " Whatever happens, the old American scorn for pretension is bound to reassert itself someday, and dear God, let it be soon. In the meantime, I'll be reading the kinds of books that Cormac McCarthy doesn't understand." This guys verbal masturbation borders on comical. Talk about pretensious. I'm sure McCarthy is losing sleep over this guys obvious self absorbed evaluation of much better writers than himself opinions. It always kills me to hear critics of art ("critics of art", like we need a person that does not know the meaning of "subjective" to offer us their ill informed opinions on something that is neither good nor bad, neither right or wrong.) offer their self centered opinions based on their personal agendas to others regarding art (ie literature, painting etc). Everyone is entitled to state their likes and dislikes regardig art. Myers prefaces everything he says in his writing style. For instance, his prose in his article mimics that of the writers he is accusing of bad prose. His style is no more intrigueing than the much better writers that he claims to have shortcomings. As a matter of fact I would argue that his writing style itself did more harm to his argument that we should not go to the places that McCormac has created because his prose is somehow "not honest". His credibility ended after the first paragraph where he tried to make the readers believe that his use of prose somehow made him the authority on what he was talking about, all the meantime he disregarded the one thing that no argument or prose could nulify..."subjectivness". He can beat his chest, typwriter, keyboard and head against the wall all he wants but he will never overcome the fact that fans of Blood Meridian and other McCarthy works will never agree that because some nameless soul (see Mayer)has somewhere along the way decided that he has captured the essence of story writing in a bottle and realized that McCarthy is somehow a fraud and has duped anyone that has found joy in his books. Some literature proffesor somewhere must feel a great deal of failure knowing that one of his students has found it necessary to toss asside the one rule of art that can and never will be changed (subjectivity) and take it upon himself to call an accomplished author a fraud and in turn his fans somehow less than himself. My opinion on McCarthy is that I enjoyed his books and will go as far as to say that Blood Meridian was one of the best books I have ever read. I loved his prose, his story and characters. I loved how he portrayed the brutality of the west as it was and didn;t find it necessary to clean it up for the sake of us readers whom Mayer thinks are below himself. Ask any historians about the Apache indians and other waring tribes of the west at the time and they will tell you that they were a very brutal people. Mayers image of Indians were probably formed by watching to many episodes of F-Troop but the reality was of brutality and hardship as McCarthy wrote. So I say f off putz....oh and I would be very carefull Mr. Mayer. Dissing Seuss? Are you kidding me? His prose was perfect. Ask any kid.
8/30/07 6:46 PM
Kneeblock
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CAMEL KILLER,

I agree with you that anyone who criticizes McCarthy with a snobbish tone deserves to have his head kicked in.

But I have to disagree that subjectiveness is a defense for anything being good art.

I mean, yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and a bunch of other fun cliches, but it's not wrong to critique work for being unimaginative, weak, over-wrought or even incohesive.  I think McCarthy could be accused at times of the latter two, but only if you're not paying close attention.  I for one am grateful for the critics even though I don't always agree with them because if it weren't for them I might be one of the slobbering legions who thinks J.K. Rowling is our modern day Shakespeare.

8/30/07 8:22 PM
CAMEL KILLER

"But I have to disagree that subjectiveness is a defense for anything being good art." That was my point. I don't think there is any good or bad art. Art touches some but not others. What is the measuring stick we should use to say if 3 people like a book and 8 do not? Do we consider it a bad book? And will the same people dissagree on all literary works? Personally, i read a book the way it was meant to be read. I let it take me to wherever it was intended. If I finish a book and felt that it took me somewhere and I got to forget about my life while reading it then I am glad I read it. I don;t read a book and try to discerne what is good prose and what isn;t. If someone has decided to do that then they would be better off being a school teacher and grading essays.
9/3/07 10:40 AM
Kneeblock

Edited: 03-Sep-07

I've YouTubed, I've Googled, I've gone everywhere, but I can't find a vid online of Cormac's interview with Oprah.

Well, that's not true, I did find it on Oprah's website, but you have to join her book club to view it and I refuse to do that.  Anyone have any leads?

9/5/07 7:10 PM
B47

Edited: 05-Sep-07
I couldn't find it either.
9/6/07 5:30 PM
HardHittingHeeb

Edited: 06-Sep-07
Stop being a bitch and join her book club. I'm no fan of her, but it's worth it for Cormac's views on prayer, the subconscious, writing, semicolons, working and Fedor/Randy. All but the last, actually, but I imagine he'd be a fan of the sport if "innerduced" in the right way.
9/9/07 6:01 PM
Kneeblock

Edited: 09-Sep-07
Well, I hear the interview sucked actually, though Lady O did show her knowledge.  Rather than harping on ALL THE PRETTY HORSES or somesuch, she actually went straight to talking about BLOOD MERIDIAN.
9/9/07 8:25 PM
HardHittingHeeb

Did not suck at all. Watch it and decide for yourself.
9/9/07 10:18 PM
HardHittingHeeb

He talked about 9000 things and if you go online you hear him talk about a shiteload more that were not included in the televised interview. The greatest living American author speaks in person for the first time ever. It would be interesting if he was only talking about sneakers. Instead he's talking about everything.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.