UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Thoughts on Cormac McCarthy

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/22/08 2:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Q_Nine
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 22 2008 12:00A
"The Road" was a fantastic book!"

I don't really understand all the hype surrounding this book. I've read quite a few post-apocalyptic thrillers and this one is just sub-par.

I found the book to be 280 pages of the same old crap.

You ok?

Yes.

Are you sure?

Yes.

I'm hungry.

No, you are starving.

We are the good guys right?

Sure, we are carrying the fire!

Are you sure?

Yes.

Rinse/Repeat another 200 times.

Luckily there was the occasional intelligence filled, over descriptive paragraph to break up the monotony.

The best part about the book was that it over as quick as it started.
4/22/08 4:34 PM
hojotoh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I've read quite a few post-apocalyptic thrillers and this one is just sub-par." Please suggest a couple. I enjoyed "The Road ", but Im definitely open to something new. Thanks.
4/22/08 5:07 PM
Q_Nine
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lucifer's Hammer is one of my favorites. Tops in the catagory, imo. (great pointers for survival too)

Swan Song was also pretty good. With "The Road" and "LH", these books allow you to feel like you could be there. SwanSong is more "fiction", but still a good story.

"Dies the fire" also puts an interesting twist on traditional Post-Apoc struggles. Decent series started with this one.
4/22/08 6:26 PM
hojotoh

Cool, Thx. Ill check those out.
4/23/08 9:15 AM
Kneeblock
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 23 2008 12:00A

Hey, I finally saw the Oprah interview!  Very good stuff.  McCarthy talks about his philosophy of life a little and talks about what a lucky guy he's been.  He talks about the sacrifices he had to make to make writing the most important thing in his life and comes across as a very friendly grandpa.  Oprah appeared very knowlegable about his work and asked him mostly good questions.  There were a couple dumb ones, but McCarthy didn't come across as thinking they were silly.  Seemed like a genuinely kind and wise man.

Worth signing up with Oprah.com to watch.

4/26/08 10:00 PM
HardHittingHeeb

Edited: Apr 26 2008 12:00A
Cormac McCarthy is the man. Best living American author bar none. Do like Q_None's parody though.
5/28/08 9:36 AM
TheScottishLion

I thought the road was excellent. Took a bit to get going, then hard to put down.
5/30/08 7:20 PM
HardyJenns

Here's an article in the NY Times about the movie adaption of "The Road" I posted on the UG, if anyone's interested.

I was skeptical at first but when they cast Viggo Mortenson and got the director of "The Proposition", I decided it might be good

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/27/movies/27road.html?ex=1369540800&en=d49b5ad71f558460&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

5/31/08 8:47 PM
TheScottishLion

Kneeblock -

It's been nearly 9 months and I'm just easing into the final 80 pages of BLOOD MERIDIAN. What a journey!

I took a lot of breaks though and read other stuff. Reading it in one sitting is like reading the whole Bible!

I hear yah. I'm 1/3 of the way through the book. I haven't picked it up for about a month. I have a little difficulty keeping track of the characters.
6/1/08 3:13 PM
Kneeblock
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well I finally finished it awhile back and once you slog through the middle, things pick up and get very interesting at the end.  In fact, the final quarter of the book is arguably the best part.

9/18/08 12:27 PM
Pustak
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for Adam.
10/2/08 12:24 PM
CAMEL KILLER
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lucifers Hammer is my fav Post Apocolyptic novel and its set here where I live which makes it even better.
10/4/08 10:11 PM
groundfighter2000
636 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah oprah sucked in that interview (im sure shes equally as bad even with no talent and stupid celebs) but horrible, the whole time she was trying to affirm that she was intelligent to him, which came off very unintelligent and just bad interviewing skills
10/4/08 10:12 PM
groundfighter2000
636 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/04/08 10:12 PM
the judge would not have bred with that negress
7/17/09 7:39 AM
Tyler Knight

Threads
7/30/09 3:58 PM
Information

Edited: 07/30/09 3:58 PM
Came across this thread from a thread on the OG.

RIP Adam. I guess a part of you will always live on.
9/28/09 10:59 PM
Pustak
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT again.

No reason this thread should drop.
9/29/09 1:10 AM
CAMEL KILLER
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt I agree.
10/1/09 11:20 PM
HardHittingHeeb

ttmft + 100

Cormac = Fedor

Humble, honest, does his own thing, is the fucking greatest and doesn't give a fuck about "approval"

His biography and lifestyle are as impressive as his words.
10/1/09 11:55 PM
groundfighter2000

HardHittingHeeb - His biography and lifestyle are as impressive as his words.

Yeah his lifestyle is real impressive (yes i know he hangs out at some think tank in new mexico) but there is nothing impressive (in fact its pretty fucking selfish) to have an 11 year old son at 75 years old. Im guesstimating the ages, but thats fucked up.
10/2/09 1:12 AM
HardHittingHeeb

groundfighter2000 - 
HardHittingHeeb - His biography and lifestyle are as impressive as his words.

Yeah his lifestyle is real impressive (yes i know he hangs out at some think tank in new mexico) but there is nothing impressive (in fact its pretty fucking selfish) to have an 11 year old son at 75 years old. Im guesstimating the ages, but thats fucked up.

Kinda true I guess. But before that he was a role model, the last of the writers who wrote for writing's sake.
11/7/09 4:44 AM
LakerGirl
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blood Meridian was a very dense book. I read through it once and found it enjoyable, but definitely in need of further prodding. I just got a companion reader in the mail which I plan on reading and then going back through the book. I also bought a paperback copy that I can write notes in. There are a lot of words that I am not familiar with as well as a fair amount of untranslated Spanish that I would like to jot down meanings and translations for so that the next read through will be easier for me.

However, I sat down and read the Road in one day and thought that it was a good read. It was much easier to process.

I recently got all three of the Border series books and plan to read them after I finish Updikes Rabbit series.
11/16/09 2:46 AM
hey mes

the crossing from the border series was the one that made me get into mccarthy.
11/20/09 9:36 PM
HardyJenns

For any fans, this is a very cool interview I just came across

A few interesting things:

-- he DID originally write "No Country" as a screenplay. Later he dug it up and made it a novel. I always thought it read like a movie (before it was made into a film), makes sense now

-- he lobbies for a "Blood Meridian" movie, thinks it could be great if the right person does it

-- talks about his next novel he's working on

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052748704576204574529703577274572-lMyQjAxMDA5MDIwMDEyNDAyWj.html
11/22/09 6:11 PM
HardyJenns

after reading this interview, I think I have a little different perspective on "The Road"

I didn't really know much about CMC's personal life, but he is 75 with an 11 year old son (!)

In this interview, he talks a lot about his relationship with his son, how it's so central to his life

A lot of the conversations in "Road" are actual ones he's had with his son

I think he senses his own mortality ticking, and knows he can't be around forever to protect and raise his son. So he's trying to spend as much time and impart as much as he can before he's gone

"The Road" makes perfect sense in this light IMO

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.