Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
B47
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
2/16/11 12:08 AM
MikeD

I've read the Road and Blood Meridian. Read The Road about a year ago and read Blood Meridian this past week.

The Road - good journey-type story. Kind of boring, but still worth reading 7/10.

Blood Meridian - I'm the minority with this one. I absolutely hate it. In fact, I repeatedly had to force myself to finish it because I thought maybe there would be some epic ending since so many people have said how superb a novel it is. The language was just strange. McCarthy is just often too wordy for me as well. I think he just tries too hard. The story had potential but the way he told it, well, nothing happened. Graphic violence and lot of people killed - that about sums it up. The antagonist and protagonist were hard to identify with. I really wish I would have stuck with my gut and just put this one down. Not my cup of tea. I won't be reading anymore McCarthy. 3.5/10
2/16/11 12:13 AM
groundfighter2000
613 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MikeD - I've read the Road and Blood Meridian. Read The Road about a year ago and read Blood Meridian this past week.

The Road - good journey-type story. Kind of boring, but still worth reading 7/10.

Blood Meridian - I'm the minority with this one. I absolutely hate it. In fact, I repeatedly had to force myself to finish it because I thought maybe there would be some epic ending since so many people have said how superb a novel it is. The language was just strange. McCarthy is just often too wordy for me as well. I think he just tries too hard. The story had potential but the way he told it, well, nothing happened. Graphic violence and lot of people killed - that about sums it up. The antagonist and protagonist were hard to identify with. I really wish I would have stuck with my gut and just put this one down. Not my cup of tea. I won't be reading anymore McCarthy. 3.5/10

Prepare to be flamed!
2/27/11 5:40 PM
MikeD

Wow, my thoughts exactly! I thought maybe I just wasn't smart enough for it.
3/21/11 4:13 PM
matthias
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I read "The Road" and loved it, couldn't put it down. My brother is a big fan so he suggested "Blood Meridian", saying it was the best book he's ever read and the Judge is the best villain/character he's ever read, so I started it.

That was 2 years ago, and I'm MAYBE halfway through it!

I'm thinking maybe I should start over. I really want to get through with it before the movie comes out, but I don't want to forget anything that might be important.

Really tough read for me.

11/11/11 5:36 PM
caposa
2047 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just finished Blood Meridian today. This was my first Cormac McCarthy book. His style is pretty overwhelming at first, but once I got into it I found it hard to put down and read it over the past 2-3 weeks. What a depraved, violent story. Loved it. It would NEVER work as a film though, I don't see how it could be done. A mini-series on HBO on the other hand, that could work. Some of this stuff is just too much for television though.
11/25/11 7:11 AM
Pustak
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for Adam
12/16/11 8:44 PM
Roland Bates
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cormac McCarthyisms:

1. Where did you get that gun? At the gettin' place.

2. Use of the term "jackpot" to mean a dangerous situation one finds oneself in as a result of someone else's bad judgment, as opposed to the modern usage of an unexpected windfall.
2/1/15 11:15 AM
Jason's Stooge

caposa - Just finished Blood Meridian today. This was my first Cormac McCarthy book. His style is pretty overwhelming at first, but once I got into it I found it hard to put down and read it over the past 2-3 weeks. What a depraved, violent story. Loved it. It would NEVER work as a film though, I don't see how it could be done. A mini-series on HBO on the other hand, that could work. Some of this stuff is just too much for television though.

there is no 'too much' for hbo. dont you remember the spooning scene from oz?

3/3/15 11:41 AM
The Big Fugazi
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

falconeddie - I was going to come to MMA tv and tell everyone to read "The Road." And I come here and find an entire Cormac McCarthy thread. Sometimes I don't give people who post on MMA tv enough credit. Maybe it's just the book forum. The Road is the most disturbing book I have ever read. I read "The Stand" in whe I was a sophmore in high school 24 years ago and I thought no other book could effect me the way that one did. Two decades (plus) and two children later The Road blows "The Stand" completely away. "The Road" makes "The Stand" look like a trip to the mall. I read it all in one sitting, and if you start, you will too. Just keep in mind that it's not a survival book. It's not supposed to be real. (I had to keep telling myself that anyway.) It's the authors view of the human condition. Good luck.

I agree with you. I read the book in about 3 days and it left me with a little bit of a depressing feeling but damn it was written so well lol

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.