UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> Valuev near Marciano record

9/27/06 4:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/14/11 3:14 PM
9/27/06 5:55 PM
OctopusFighter
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Sep-06
If it's pointless, why have you spent this entire thread up till now discussing it?
9/28/06 8:19 AM
dinofrang
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Sep-06
More than once, Muhammad Ali said that in his opinion Marciano would have been the oldtimer who would have given him his hardest fight. Just joking around with him in their silly computer fight made him realize how hard Marciano could hit. He said as much during an interview when he was young and years later when he was old. If Marciano would have given Ali a hard time, I don't think anybody else would have had party night with him either. If Ali didnt' think Rocky was too small, too slow, etc. than I see no reason why I should. Ali said he believes Marciano was better than Frazier, whom he obviously respects very much as a fighter.
9/28/06 12:44 PM
dinofrang

I did not say he said it in print. He said it during an interview aired on ESPN, which if I remember correctly was an old one going back to the late 70's. Why would I possibly lie about something as trivial as that? I can also remember another interview with Cosell where Ali ranked and reviewed all the old time champs, including Marciano. He said he could have easily beaten Louis, Johnson, Dempsey, etc. but when it came to Marciano he said something like "you never know when two good ones are in there, anything could happen" or something to that effect. Note, Marciano was the only oldtime champ Ali did not just dismiss.
9/28/06 1:36 PM
dinofrang

I have no interest in your apology or whether you believe me or not. What possible motive would I have about lying about such a silly thing? And what would I gain by proving anything to someone as immature as you? You really need to learn how to cope with people who have a different opinion than you. Calling them a liar merely makes you seem like an immature baby whose ego is too fragile to accept the fact that someome may actually disagree with your opinion. It's all part of growing up and I confident that some time in then next 50 years you will achieve this growth. I beieve the purpose of this board should be an exchange of ideas not accusations. Also, I am still waiting for the list of opponents Rocky ducked.
9/28/06 2:46 PM
Biff Hardbody

Edited: 28-Sep-06 02:53 PM
I've seen the interview to which DinoFrang is referring. I actually have it on tape somewhere I think. It is a wide world of sports special with Ali and Cosell viewing great champions of the past. I have a pretty good memory of what Ali said regarding Marciano and other champions in this interview. Here is what I recall. Louis. Ali said Louis was a great boxer from the waist up, but his footwork was to slow for him. Tunney. Ali said that Tunney was the greatest of the old time boxers. He said he would beat Tunney because he was bigger and better at Tunney's style. At one point, Cosell said "There, Tunney has a little shuffle" Ali said "Don't try and take the shuffle away from us, we've already had so much taken away". It was funny. Dempsey. Ali said that Dempsey wasn't a great boxer and jess Willard was just a "big freak". He did say that Dempsey would be one of teh harder matchups for him because he crouched though. Marciano. Ali was extremely respectful of Marciano. His opinion towards him was radically different then the other fighters shown. Much more subdued and somber. Cosell noted this and said something like "Ali, you just said you would beat every champion out there, why this change?". Ali's answer was the following "Well, you know Howard...I met Marciano, and you did the right thing by showing him last...he would give me the most trouble of any of these fighters...he had no style, no tecvhnique...he was just a mauler, a killer. You can't teach anyone to fight like him. You saw what what Frazier did to me, and I think Marciano was better. I mightoutpoint him, I could stop him on cuts maybe...but it would probably be a decision. I feel at my best, my real best I would win probably on points....but man, I would not want to meet him in a dark alley". I remember the last line abiout the dark alley was uttered while Marciano destroyed Ezzard Charles with sick blows to the neck and back of the head. You could tell Ali was watching and his words kind of hung in the air. I specifically remember Ali's words. When they came back from commerical they still talked about Marciano and Ali got up and began to yell how he would kill Marciano and how Marciano didn't rank...that Marciano beat the old Walcott, Charles, and Moore...that if he beat the real versions of them he would be the greatest, but since he didn't, he didn't even rank. It was very bizarre seeing the absolute 180, but that was Ali. It reminded me of Ali going nuts on Sonny Liston, Foreman ecd. An act. The first part seemed far more genuine.
9/29/06 10:42 PM
IndianaBrandon

Edited: 29-Sep-06
Big George Foreman put Marciano number 2 on his list, right behind Joe Louis.
10/2/06 6:22 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/14/11 3:15 PM
10/2/06 11:22 AM

Edited: 06/14/11 3:15 PM
10/2/06 11:31 AM
triestur

Edited: 02-Oct-06
Why is it everytime a white man brings up boxing it's rocky marciano ? That's they one. That's they one. Arguing about guys who fought that long ago and who none of us saw live is difficult. I side with the Marciano being a but over hyped but 49-0 is still 49-0. Probably a top ten heavy but definitely not in the top 5 IMO... FU, FU and FU. Who's next ?
10/4/06 5:15 PM

Edited: 06/14/11 3:16 PM
10/4/06 10:06 PM
Chappie
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Oct-06
Say what you will about Rocky, but apparently boxing hasn't evolved to far, even at 188, the Rock would have destroyed Valuev.
10/5/06 12:52 PM

Edited: 06/14/11 3:16 PM
10/6/06 8:15 AM

Edited: 06/14/11 3:18 PM
10/8/06 11:55 AM
Osaekomi
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Oct-06 05:03 PM
Ali also quit on his stool against a Brit and Angelo had to slit his glove to buy time. Ali also lost to Jimmy Young in my opinion. Holmes lost to Leon Spinks a 190 pound fighter. Marciano would have destroyed Spinks, as would have an "aging" Walcott, Charles and Moore. Every fighter has fights you can point to and state "he looked like shit". Aside from my above-listed and Chuvalo, Bonavena, Mildenberger, Joe Bugner also went 15 with Ali. Also, Smokin' Joe knocked Ali on his ass and defeated him . Picturing a similar scenario with a prime Marciano v. Ali is not difficult.
9/7/11 9:16 AM
TKOkami'd by the GOAT
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good thing he never quite made it 
12/2/11 3:45 PM
Steelersfan 24 7

Luckily Chagaev and Haye made sure that didn't happen.
12/2/11 3:47 PM
Steelersfan 24 7

Luckily Chagaev and Haye made sure that didn't happen.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.