Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sanguine cynic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Sep-06
Health, Happiness and hot young tail
9/17/06 6:55 PM
vermonter
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Immortality. -doug- PS. And hot young tail.
9/17/06 8:42 PM
sanguine cynic

Would you really want immortality? That could go very very wrong
9/19/06 12:05 AM
vermonter
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Sep-06
Despite having seen the very overdone "immortality is sought after and then turns out badly once you get it" fiction, i actually would be interested in it. I'm not saying it wouldn't have it's pitfalls, but hey, death's a bitch too right? Of course, i'm barring scenarios in which super-heroes would trap me in an underwater tomb, or tie me up while a bird eats my organs daily, or some such business. I honestly think that given my personality the benefits would vastly out-weigh the pitfalls. Sadly floating around in space for eons once the planet is destroyed by a supernova would be dull, but once a new star forms, i can at least hope the surrounding planets are inhabitable right? Besides, imagine all the hot young tail you could pull before that happened. -doug-
9/19/06 1:23 PM
sanguine cynic

"Sadly floating around in space for eons once the planet is destroyed by a supernova would be dull, but once a new star forms, i can at least hope the surrounding planets are inhabitable right? " This is what I was thinking. Once all the other humans die out, you're really fucked.
9/19/06 3:59 PM
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depends on what u mean by immortality: a) you never die and could never die b) you never die from natural courses but could get killed the way a regular person does (and could commit suicide)...
9/19/06 7:39 PM
vermonter

Oh i meant the real thing, but after thinking about the whole "supernova" thing, it might be better to just go with plan B. -doug-
9/19/06 11:43 PM
iamfedor

i think it would be iller if u were highlander...THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE
9/20/06 3:30 PM
sanguine cynic

Edited: 20-Sep-06
There are too many variables in the eternal life thing. Could you lose a leg or be paralysed? Do you age? etc.
9/21/06 12:59 AM
vermonter

Edited: 21-Sep-06
Too many variables for what? Don't you think it's a stretch to consider the concept to begin with? If you've made it that far, why are the variables so troublesome? (I'm not disagreeing that it's not possible because of said variables, but in considering it, we seem to be automatically suspending our disbelief for just a little while.) -doug-
10/2/06 2:42 PM
vermonter

Edited: 02-Oct-06
If you can have immortality with the option of offing yourself, that's pretty much mint right there. I'd take it in a heartbeat. -doug-
10/2/06 4:14 PM
ChDnny
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i would think once your family is all gone and your alone, shit wont be fun any more right? like you get older and see your parents die, then brothers/sisters, your children, your childrens children, etc. if i kept seeing that i would feel real selfish and lose a reason to keep goin i guess
10/2/06 4:26 PM
vermonter

My family is almost entirely gone. I have a few step relatives and that's it. I have not wanted to stop living because of it. -doug-
10/2/06 4:50 PM
ChDnny
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yea but do you have a wife or children? if you dont you got a goal now dontcha
10/3/06 9:43 AM
vermonter

Edited: 03-Oct-06
I do not have a wife or children, and i would still like to live for reasons other than attaining either or both of those. -doug-
10/4/06 5:00 AM
ChDnny

Edited: 04-Oct-06
yea your right, but in contexts of your like 150 years old and got nobody thats family around would suck, people who you care about and who care about you.... but its all depends of the person
10/4/06 10:37 AM
vermonter

Edited: 04-Oct-06
Clearly i'm capable :) -doug-
10/9/06 12:29 AM
amorphous
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Oct-06
"If you can have immortality with the option of offing yourself, that's pretty much mint right there. I'd take it in a heartbeat. -doug-" LOL hell yeah man. One thing I know I would do is train for centuries and be an invincible unstoppable force in mma.
10/24/06 2:31 PM
springy palm

Edited: 24-Oct-06
To fufill my purpose.
10/26/06 5:47 PM
Esteban Barragan

Edited: 26-Oct-06
Hot young tail
10/29/06 12:46 AM
BjjSchoolGirl
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Oct-06
What do I want out of life? Ummm...finish high school exams, gain my independence, travel and compete/train around the world, find a nice guy to settle down with, make a home and family of my own...you know, that old chestnut ;-) But loving the idea of immortality more and more...and how great would that be to have all that time to train? Transfer that to other skills like violin, etc. You could become amazing! I suppose it would be hard seeing all the people around you die (that will most likely happen anyway), but unless you're a nasty person you could continue to meet new people. Sad, but you've got to keep on living (for eternity if possible! Unless of course, like Vermonter suggested lol , a super hero locks you up in an under water tomb :-). Cheers, Maryanne.
11/2/06 10:33 PM
Seul
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Nov-06
The problem with immortality, insofar as trying to judge whether or not you'd be suitable and/or capable of handling it, is that we are not really able to comprehend something like that without a frame of reference. I'm not questioning your suitability of capabilty in context of immortality, i'm questioning whether or not you or any of us can make an informed decision beyond an instinctual "more is better" immediate judgement. Compare, for instance, the difference in perspective between a high school junior and a college junior (by my wn logic, i cannot step past my own experiences without rendering my current example flawed). At 17, it's hard to really understand how much the way you look at the world can be changed/ broadened by just an extra 4 years of experience without actually experiencing it. How much of a leap would it be between whatever our respective ages and 1,000 years of age? 100,000? What it boils down is this: If you have maybe 10,000 years of pulling hot, young tail before Earth/our solar system/ mankind folds, how many years pass in the frigid blackness of your isolation must pass before you start to regret not dying when the hot, young tail did?
11/3/06 3:05 PM
vermonter

Edited: 03-Nov-06 03:09 PM
"The problem with immortality, insofar as trying to judge whether or not you'd be suitable and/or capable of handling it, is that we are not really able to comprehend something like that without a frame of reference. " There are a great deal of things in life that people conduct with a low frame of reference. Sex for example. When you are a virgin, and have never had sex before, you still want it, you still feel you are suitable for it, and (for most anyway) you eventually decide you're capable of handling it. "I'm not questioning your suitability of capabilty in context of immortality," Ok, then i'll ignore your first paragraph.... "i'm questioning whether or not you or any of us can make an informed decision beyond an instinctual "more is better" immediate judgement. " We do this daily. It's called inductive reasoning. Based on what i know now, i make decisions about things i have yet to experience. Most of our choices are this way. You may go the way of the old argument that inductive reasoning isn't good, reliable, or even reasonable, but that wouldnt stop you from doing it constantly. What if i make the argument that my general goal is pleasure. I can't feel pleasure when i'm dead. Therefor, it's favorable to be alive, else i can no longer reach my goal. In such an argument, as long as i have a chance of feeling pleasure (which is that case in life in general, even if i'm floating aimlessly through space for eternity), i've made a better choice than death in which an absense of pleasure is certain. "Compare, for instance, the difference in perspective between a high school junior and a college junior (by my wn logic, i cannot step past my own experiences without rendering my current example flawed). At 17, it's hard to really understand how much the way you look at the world can be changed/ broadened by just an extra 4 years of experience without actually experiencing it." I agree, but i think your example works against you. When you are 17, does your lack of future perspective force you choose that it's not worth the risk of living? Certainly not. In fact you are compelled to live on in most cases. I might even argue that your lack of future perspective is what makes living worthwhile. If i know everything about what the future is like, then it could very well be less valuable to live it. "How much of a leap would it be between whatever our respective ages and 1,000 years of age? 100,000?" It's a big leap. An exciting and compelling one, i might add. "If you have maybe 10,000 years of pulling hot, young tail before Earth/our solar system/ mankind folds, how many years pass in the frigid blackness of your isolation must pass before you start to regret not dying when the hot, young tail did? " Your point in this paragraph seems contradictory to the remainder of your post. If the important question is "how many years pass" then how could it be impossible to have any perspective on the future? I don't know how many years would pass. I imagine that i might actually be able to find other pleasures to pass my time. Who knows? Or, maybe it would just suck, hence why i suggestion the option to off myself :) -doug- PS. Speaking of hot young tail, hello maryanne. :) Your goals sound nice and right on track!
11/3/06 5:20 PM
BjjSchoolGirl
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Nov-06
I really hate that term 'tail'! Kinda degrading.... But thanks for the complement about my goals. :-) Cheers, Maryanne.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.