UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> what do you want out of life

11/5/06 12:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
vermonter
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Nov-06
"I really hate that term 'tail'! Kinda degrading.... " Uh oh. Definitely on the wrong thread then ;) Didn't mean to offend. -doug-
11/9/06 9:35 PM
qazzaq
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Nov-06
myself and family to have long, HAPPY lives
11/10/06 8:29 PM
Seul
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Nov-06
"Your point in this paragraph seems contradictory to the remainder of your post. If the important question is "how many years pass" then how could it be impossible to have any perspective on the future?" Yeah, i didn't really think that through enough. "In such an argument, as long as i have a chance of feeling pleasure (which is that case in life in general, even if i'm floating aimlessly through space for eternity), i've made a better choice than death in which an absense of pleasure is certain. " Good point, but i think this is dependent on your definition of pleasure. If your goal is merely to experience singular moments of pleasure, you're absolutely correct. If pleasure includes an abscence of pain, or more importantly if pain could be considered "negative pleasure", whether or not immortality is more or less attractive than mortality is based on whether you believe that the aggregate pleasure you experience in your increased lifetime exceeds the aggregate suffering; which is inductively reached through review of your past experience with life. Whether or not a purely pleasure-seeking person would choose immortality is whether or not the things that immortality takes from you give you more pleasure than the things immortality grants you. "It's a big leap. An exciting and compelling one, i might add." I agree. For the record I would choose immortality with the suicide option in a heartbeat.
11/14/06 2:30 PM
vermonter
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Nov-06
Seul, "If pleasure includes an abscence of pain, or more importantly if pain could be considered "negative pleasure", whether or not immortality is more or less attractive than mortality is based on whether you believe that the aggregate pleasure you experience in your increased lifetime exceeds the aggregate suffering; which is inductively reached through review of your past experience with life." True! -doug-
12/12/06 1:54 AM
machavelli
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Dec-06
Immortality? With all the reason for suicide, I can't fathom immortality. However, the amount of knowledge gained would be infinite (literally I guess), and you could probably take over the world with immortality...That would be another fantastic endeavor.
12/14/06 5:40 AM
Weasling
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Dec-06
Immortality? I want to live the highest quality and most fulfilling life possible, once this is done I won't care about immortality
12/15/06 11:07 AM
vermonter

Edited: 15-Dec-06
"With all the reason for suicide" Yikes. You might want to get those neurotransmitter levels checked out... -doug-
12/15/06 8:54 PM
BjjSchoolGirl
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Dec-06
There is no good reason for suicide. All the best machavelli... Cheers, Maryanne.
12/17/06 3:39 PM
machavelli
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Dec-06
I wasn't being serious about the actual "suicide", just making an over exaggerated point that there are so many reasons why eventually dying is not necessarily bad (possibly very good).
12/17/06 7:07 PM
BjjSchoolGirl
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Dec-06
"To a well organised mind, death is but the next great adventure...." I'm embarrassed to say were I quoted that from! :-)
12/18/06 11:12 PM
Seul
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Dec-06
I'm embarassed to say I immediately recognized where you're quoting from; I liked all the Harry Potter books...... and they're somewhat pertinent in a discussion of immortality, that being the ultimate goal of Voldemort (thereby enabling all the conflict in the series). Have you ever seen the "Harry Potter and Philosophy" book ?
12/19/06 2:36 AM
BjjSchoolGirl

Edited: 19-Dec-06
Lol! Well, at leased I'm not alone in my shame :-) Never heard of it though. Is it any good?
12/22/06 7:13 PM
vermonter

Edited: 22-Dec-06
"I wasn't being serious about the actual "suicide", just making an over exaggerated point that there are so many reasons why eventually dying is not necessarily bad (possibly very good). " You didn't support your point at all though. I can merely make the opposite claim "With no reason to die, we should all seek immortality." Uh oh... who is right? -doug-
12/23/06 5:43 AM
Seul

Edited: 23-Dec-06
I've actually never read it, I just noticed that almost every recent book-turned-movie has its own book entitled "(insert name) and philosphy". They look plenty interesting, I've just never got around to flipping through them...
12/23/06 10:11 PM
BjjSchoolGirl

Edited: 23-Dec-06
If it exists, I want to read "Eragon and Philosophy"... probably be very deep ;-) Cheers, Maryanne.
12/24/06 4:59 AM
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Dec-06
Read John Perry?s "A Dialogue on Personal Identity and Immortality". 30 pages and very nice. And it is written by a REAL philosopher too :)
12/24/06 11:56 PM
BjjSchoolGirl

Edited: 24-Dec-06
30 pages! Finally philosophy lecturers have catered for people like me with short attention spans :-)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.