UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> WHY?????

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/27/06 1:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Buddhadev
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Sep-06 10:37 AM

Why does it seem that no person writing on the internet... ...knows the difference between "your" and "you're" (the former universally being used when the latter is called for)? ...knows the differences among "their," "there," and "they're." ...knows that "they" and all of its variations ARE NOT singular pronouns? ...knows the difference between "its" and "it's"? ...knows the difference between "who's" and "whose"? Can anyone tell me?
9/27/06 11:14 PM
Revolver of Reason
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Sep-06
"...knows the difference between "its" and "it's"?" I am guilty of this sometimes. mostly, I think people just slip and are lazy. it's the Internet, and posting on the OG is different than a business email.
9/28/06 12:17 AM
Buddhadev
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Sep-06 12:18 AM
Oh, it's not really the OG I'm ranting about. Someone who makes that error because he's lazy and thinks what he says on the OG isn't worthy of ultra-proof reading has a decent enough defense. It's people WHO DON'T EVEN SEEM TO KNOW about these rules that irk me. The "your" vs. "you're" thing is seriously starting to make me violent because no one ever seems to get it right anymore. Think about it: when was the last time you saw anyone use "you're" on the internet?
10/3/06 9:51 AM
vermonter
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Oct-06
Its how we do. -doug-
10/4/06 10:34 AM
vermonter
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Oct-06
A better question Dev, is does it really matter? Certainly the gut reaction is to be frustrated, but the purpose of "proper" syntax and semantics (and language in general) is merely to get meaning across. If the meaning is understood (which it almost always is in your examples) than language has done it's job. The "rules" are otherwise pretty arbitrary, and IMO sort of silly to argue about. Hell even Webster himself (if memory serves) was criticised for being too colloquial when he first made his dictionary. -doug-
10/20/06 9:06 AM
eabeam
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Oct-06
1. American Public Education. 2. Even when I know better, I do not care about internet posts enough to correct or proofred.
10/21/06 12:50 AM
Buddhadev

Edited: 21-Oct-06 12:52 AM
eabeam: 2, is IMO, not a big deal. Everyone gets lazy now and then. The fact that some people fundamentally DON'T KNOW language/grammar/spelling basics is more worrisome. If you spell "the" as "teh" because you were typing fast and didn't bother proofing, that's not what I'm talking about at all. doug, it might not seem to matter, because you're right that more often than not, we know what those people mean. However, I'm still concerned about all of this. Just think about Orwell's essay Politics and the English Language. I think the damage occurs at a subtle level.
10/21/06 4:23 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 21-Oct-06
people are fucking stupid
10/21/06 4:44 PM
vermonter

Edited: 21-Oct-06
Dev, I guess i'm not sure what you mean when you say someone "doesn't" know. Have you considered the possibility that maybe they have fine grammar but a different dialect? It's a fuzzy line, for sure, but the linguist Steven Pinker says something like: "most people who live in the inner city ghettos have better grammar than the average professor's office." It seems to me like you're confusing fundamental grammar and syntax rules with a particular language or dialect. I havent read Politics and the English Language, but i can't imagine how any damage has been done whatsoever. -doug-
10/22/06 2:48 PM
Buddhadev

Edited: 23-Oct-06 03:58 PM
Doug, I don't think the examples I'm pointing out can be considered a "different dialect." I'm not talking about people saying "ain't" or anything like that. Here's an exact quote from the email we got from a project manager at work: "I know your [sic] doing a great job but there[sic] still asking me to bump this deadline up." An email I got that night began with "your[sic] so mean you never call me" Neither of those quotes are dialectical deviations--i.e., they wouldn't even be noticeable when spoken. These are people who simply don't know basic grammatical rules. As for the "damage" part--it's a complex idea that I'll admit I'm having trouble laying out in a lucid way. For that part of my argument, I'm obviously not going to ask you to agree with me when I'm not exactly clear on what my argument is. The Orwell essay is a worthy read.
10/22/06 3:38 PM
vermonter

Edited: 22-Oct-06 03:39 PM
Good points. I'm definitely arguing for SPOKEN language and not written, so you've got me there. I have no idea how it could be damaging though. I suspect that you're frustrations will dramatically increase over the next five years. Ever had an instant message conversation with a 13 year old who has frequent access to a computer? The abbreviations, substitutions, and other linguistic devices they employ to make communication via text quicker, and simpler makes it almost unreadable to you and I, whereas another acclimated 13 year old can read it outloud at least as easily as they could read a novel. I for one am pretty excited to see how this sort of evolution in communication progresses as more and more people become involved in frequent written communication. However, as time goes on, things will get grammatically better, not worse, as the younger generations pick it up as a primary means of communication. Grammatical errors come from those who pick it up later in life with verbal communication, and i suspect something similar for written. It is interesting to postulate, however, that written language has a bit of a longer learning curve and how that will effect it's progression as a major means of communication. -doug-
10/23/06 3:28 PM
mestregruber
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Oct-06
doug: did you include those grammar errors just to piss off the grammar nazis, or what? Otherwise, good post.
12/22/06 1:58 PM
vermonter

Edited: 22-Dec-06
Late reply for Mestregruber, No, those grammar errors were unintentional. LOL. I have considerable ADD when writing anything which requires a lot of thought. Probably part of my motivation to support a relaxed idea about grammar. :) Still, though, i'd like to learn more about this supposed "damage." Like i was saying before, grammar in verbal communication is corrected each generation, and true grammar errors are most often from "learned" individuals. -doug-
12/24/06 3:45 AM
thuglife

Edited: 24-Dec-06
Lousy public education

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.