UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Anyone work as a tutor?

9/27/06 9:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Gortiz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Sep-06

I'm about to interview with a tutoring agency (www.clubztutoring.com) to see if I can make a few extra dollars here and there. They said the pay would be about $23 an hour, depending on the student. Is there an industry standard? They match up students with tutors in their area (I'm not willing to drive too far) depending on what is needed. Anyone do it, and if so, what did you charge?
10/3/06 6:43 PM
Polaris
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Oct-06
Damn, 20 for basic math and 25 for Algebra? Sign me up. I'm probably not competent enough to tutor College Algebra or Calc. though.
10/4/06 5:34 PM
Gortiz

Edited: 04-Oct-06
I went to the clubz interview, and it wasn't a bad deal- it's just that education isn't my specialty. And there is no training, they expect you to already be proficient at tutoring.
10/26/06 3:39 PM
Esteban Barragan

Edited: 26-Oct-06
I would just wing it when I tutored in HS. I really had to depend on mastery of a subject to be able to look through each student's text book, assignments, syllabus and tests and find out what each teacher wanted them to learn, what the student's strengths were and then find a method to teach them what they need to know to advance their comprehension and to pass the class. Good luck and be patient. Some people used to offer me $25-30/hour to tutor them for college courses. Industry standard? Where I live, most teachers make less than construction workers. If the pay is enough for your effort, then go for it.
10/26/06 10:06 PM
WitheringPalm

Edited: 26-Oct-06
depending on where you live, and what you can tutor, $20-25 / hour is reasonable. i've tutored physics and math at the college undergraduate level for about that much in south jersey.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.