UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> About non violent postures

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nowaydo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02

Instinct.
spad
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tony, I´ve heard all of your audio tapes and you tell that it´s better to keep using non verbal postures and use a lot of verbal de- escalation skills when confronted with a violent opponent. I think that´s ok. I agree. But when I was telling my brother about that, he said: that´s ok, but I think sometimes it could be better to try to inflict fear on the opponent by adpoting a combat position or threatening him with a stick or something to beat him (he was talking about a car crash and an opponent who is really angry about that). What do you think of this? Respectfully, SPAD
spad

Thank you for your reply, Tony. But I didnt say that, my brother was, and he doesnt have any martial arts/self defense training. He just said what the "average" person would say. I wont adopt a violent posture, although I know a few situation where threatening with a stick ended up the situation without pshysical violence. For example, in my country is very common that the taxi drivers carry a lead pipe on their cars and when they have a confrontation they always get the lead pipe and threaten the other aggressive person. And almost always, the confrontation end there, because I guess an "average" person who is just trying to show he´s a macho man, would think twice if they want to go on playing that role when a man is threaten them with a lead pipe. Anyways, it´s just a comment on what usually happens in my country. I´m really sure I wont adopt a violent posture and I always encourage my students to do the same. Again, thank you for you answer. SPAD
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
You think its "OK"? OK. As a self defense instructor, do you understand the moral, legal and tactical signigicance of the Non-Violent Posture? HAve you worked from a replication/role-playing perspective on the cause & effect element that body languge, tone & word selection has on behavioural manipulation to a degree that you can inject the strategy into a real-life incident? If you were in a figting stance and someone were threatening you with a stick, what would you do? If you were in a fighting stance and someone were SWINGING at you with a stick, what would you do? When its time to fight is it also time to talk? I think you and your brother need to review the following strategies in more detail: Three D's. The Choice SPeech phase. The FEAR acronym's. The S.O.S. stages. The psychology of Non-Violent Postures. The answer is there. Tony
Skullface

One thing to consider, you can always adobt an aggressive posure or attitude after trying the NVP but it's pretty tough to try this in reverse.What if your aggressive posture,language or actions have no effect on the other person? Something to consider. Chris

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.