UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Teaching English in Brasil

9/28/06 6:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HybridElite
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Sep-06

I have been thinking about doing this for a while and I have decided to just go for it. I looked into a couple of places, but get the feeling that some of these teaching institutions may not be legit. Does anyone have any information that may be helpful to me? Has anyone on this forum tried this? Where are some good places to train in Rio? Thanks
9/28/06 6:13 PM
Iron Man
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

one of my friends tried getting a job teaching english in brazil but he neve got accepted. it was not an easy job to get.
9/28/06 6:19 PM
HybridElite
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did your friend have any kind of degree? Do you know what company he applied to? Thanks
9/29/06 1:02 AM
HybridElite

Edited: 29-Sep-06
ttt
9/29/06 12:12 PM
applsauce
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt and for the record i dont want you to go
9/29/06 4:09 PM
Iron Man
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my friend has a bachelor's degree in spanish and masters in teaching. he is also pretty fluent in portugese. i am not sure what institution he tried for. he is nicaragua now with the peace corp.
9/29/06 7:03 PM
HybridElite

Crap and he didnt ger accepted!!!
9/30/06 3:08 PM
John Turner

Edited: 30-Sep-06
judo-bjj-dvd.com

the absolute best way to teach abroad is to buy a plane ticket and go. once there you will be in a much better position to be hired on the spot. think about it...if you had a school would you want someone you could have a face-to-face with or exchange emails? of course the answer is obvious.

i have heard, however, brazil is a very tough place to find a job b/c so many foreigners want to go there for all kind of reasons. so, you may want to try korea first, as right now their currency is strong and they pay for your plane ticket and housing...just a year teaching experience abroad looks great on a resume.

for more info go to www.daveseslcafe.com and look around. that is the website that brought me to taiwan. teaching english abroad can provide a very decent living, especially if you like to travel and shag fine woman.

btw, of course i know korea is not brazil for bjj training, but they have excellent judo and a year there would provide the up-front cash needed to make an expensive move to brazil. hope this helps...

peace,

john

10/1/06 1:48 PM
HybridElite

Edited: 01-Oct-06
Thanks Jon. Alot of these places that hire English teachers require you to pay them at first. Is this common or is this a scam?
10/1/06 1:54 PM
Creonte

It seems like Brazil would be a tough place. There's a lot of poverty there. The poor won't be able to pay for English lessons, and probably won't be interested in them. The middle and upper classes, on the other hand, often already know some English so won't need English lessons.
10/1/06 2:48 PM
JuDoK@
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

upper and middle class need english teachers man... its a common mistake that rich people down there speak english. they have some skills but it would be like at a white belt level for a lot of folks, which would mean that they need a tutor. you can find a job there; lots of people do.... would probably help if you spoke some portuguese.
10/1/06 2:57 PM
John Turner

judo-bjj-dvd.com

a total scam...the school will pay the recruiter, not you. i looked on there today and there were schools and agencies offering a moving bonus, and a bonus of one months salary upon the completion of the contract. bottom line...never pay recruiters money, the school should do that. so, the simple answer is under no circumstances pay a recruiter money...

like i wrote in my first post...if you have enough cash, just go. that will always be the undisputed best way to get a job. i hope this helps...

john

ps: jobs in brazil exist, but Creonte is correct that you will never make the kind of money asia offers...the big three...korea, taiwan and japan (also very hard to get w/o experience)...and these websites will help...jt

www.state.gov (for visas and entry requirements)

www.tealit.com (taiwan jobs, cost of living, etc)

www.xe.com (foreign currency converter)

10/1/06 7:42 PM
HybridElite

I am in no way going to make alot of money. As long as I can have enough money to live on, party a little, and train.
10/2/06 5:52 AM
Bunnymonster

Edited: 02-Oct-06
I have 2 years experience teaching in korea, if anyone wants information about it drop me a line (or post here). Basically you NEED a batchelors degree, anyone who says otherwise is lying, in addition a pulse and, I'm sad to say, a white face are the only other requirements. The last time i was job hunting it took me 8 hours to get my first offer and I had something decent within a week. So long as you can handle working with idiots and children the money is good, you'll work around 6 hours a day, though this might be split over more like 7-8 hours and you should be able to save (in the bank) over $1000US a month without really trying, unless you like to drink and screw hookers then all bets are off... I'm currently working in japan, but am only starting out myself (second month of working) so whilst I can give some advice I am no expert for sure. The word on the grapevine is the biggest snag in working in Brazil are visas which are nearly impossible to get unless you are teaching at a university, even then they often only run for 6 months and are often not renewed... Anyhow, if you want a job in Korea, there are infinite jobs, drop me a line at bunnymonster[at]gmail[dot]com. Paul
10/2/06 1:20 PM
CockneyBlue

Anyone who wants to build up teaching experience, come to Mexico. It is stupidly easy to find a job teaching English here. I was running an English school 3 months after arriving with no previous experience. Have moved on now because I got V bored of teaching English however, working either for a school or privately teaching English is very easy here.
10/2/06 9:14 PM
Tommy Gunnz
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gregg it is much easier getting a job teaching English in Japan, although I am pretty sure it is a 2 year commitment. The JET program is where you want to look.
10/3/06 9:49 AM
HybridElite

Edited: 03-Oct-06
Wow 2 years!!!
10/3/06 12:57 PM
CockneyBlue

Edited: 03-Oct-06
Oh and if anyone is looking to teach English, I have a friend who is looking for a department head for the English department at their school (Leon, GTO, Mexico)
3/15/13 11:56 AM
beanouno
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bump for  a mate

3/15/13 5:01 PM
manster
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am going to be in Brazil all Summer. If I find a job, I will stay permanently. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design and a Master's in Teaching. I am currently teaching high school Art.

If anybody has any recommendations or connections, I am currently applying for jobs all over Brazil, but especially Sao Paulo and Rio, and I would appreciate it..

I also speak fluent Portuguese, and have spent a lot of time in Brazil.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.