UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Opinions on Hung Gar?

9/28/06 6:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BeerMuscles
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Sep-06

I've always wanted to learn a form of Kung Fu and there's a good Hung Gar place near me that trains "alive". Traditional Hung Gar and also a San Shou/San Da program. Any thoughts/suggestions?
9/29/06 10:38 PM
The Mat Pimp
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Sep-06
I like it. Trained with Eugene Ho, now train with Vernon Rieta. Good stuff.
10/1/06 10:49 AM
Dimball

Edited: 01-Oct-06
trained in Montreal for 3 yrs. Quit, after seeign it was useless against Sambo and its likes. Bad school perhaps\?
10/3/06 9:43 AM
Charles T Rose
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Oct-06
Wasnt Rieta training Adrian Paul and making appearences on Highlander 10 years ago? Thats pretty cool.When I get older I will probably get into Kung Fu.
10/3/06 3:50 PM
e. kaye

A lot of cool stuff in Hung Gar. I had a friend that did it.
10/3/06 10:51 PM
The Mat Pimp
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi Shen! That makes us kungfu brothers! Haha. I'll ask Vernon if he remembers you, we got to talking and he is like a "who's who" of TMA guys. He even knows capoeira Mestres from Salvador, Bahia. To say that he has been around is an understatement. I know what you mean about Jiujitsu, I am a four stripe blue with Relson Gracie out here in Hawaii. I wanted some kind of standup game, and something street oriented to flesh out my approach to MA; got lucky and found Vernon. To say that he opened my eyes to the effectiveness of Shaolin is an understatement. I know what MMA people think about Chinese martial arts, but all I can say is that it depends on who teaches you.
10/4/06 7:49 AM
Charles T Rose
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Oct-06
Shen Thats funny...Paul says the same thing on the dvd commentary. Unfortunetly there is no Hung Gar where I live so I checked out a Jow Ga place and didnt care for it. Maybe one day I will find a good CMA teacher.
10/4/06 6:20 PM
The Mat Pimp

Edited: 04-Oct-06
Kaiwi...yes, I know him. My name is Makena, ask him if he remembers a big haole (cracker) with a tatoo'd stomach. Re: Wong Kung "Vernon" Rieta...I have been extremely impressed with him, although I only just got working with him recently. He does a little bit of forms with us, and then launches into applications and real fighting, which is clearly where his heart is. He had very sound counters to common attacks like a Muay Thai plum clinch or a wrestler's shot. He made me remember why I love gongfu. He also is very generous in his appraisal of other arts and spoke very highly of the Machados, for example. I'm glad that I found some of his other students. I will try to make the most of my time with him.
10/5/06 6:26 AM
SnoopBJJ

Edited: 05-Oct-06
One of the first arts I trained in was Hung Gar. I trained in that for 3 years before moving onto JKDC and BJJ.
10/6/06 4:15 PM
GaydarBlane

Edited: 06-Oct-06
Yee's Hung Ga?
10/6/06 8:18 PM
BeerMuscles

Edited: 06-Oct-06
""One of the first arts I trained in was Hung Gar. I trained in that for 3 years before moving onto JKDC and BJJ."" Well, did you like it? ""Yee's Hung Ga?"" Yeah.
10/9/06 9:30 AM
GaydarBlane

Edited: 09-Oct-06
I asked because that is what it sounded like since Yee's in the only hung gar school that I've heard of that fits the description. I hear they have a good San Shou program, which is evident from the results they have in competition.
10/12/06 8:51 PM
karasu

Edited: 12-Oct-06
I am a big fan of the Highlander television series and remember reading about Vernon Rieta being Adrian Paul's Hung Gar/Choy li Fut teacher. The style looked really cool in the series.
10/13/06 6:19 PM
The Mat Pimp

Edited: 13-Oct-06
Honestly, I thought that show was unwatchably bad. I may netflix it now that I am training with Vernon though.
12/28/06 11:26 PM
Jeff_H
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Dec-06
while going to college in san francisco from 1995 to 1998 i trained with y.c. wong for a little over 3 years. his school is in a basement in china town and is quite old school in it's layout. i liked the training for what it was but it was definitely more geared toward form training. we didn't spar often and definitely didn't train in an alive manner. before training in hung gar, i trained in choy li fut for 3 1/2 years in san diego. personally, i liked choy li fut better than hung gar but thought they were both great tmas. i've since moved from tma to bjj, jkd and currently train with an ex mma fighter.
12/5/07 7:07 PM
Thankful1

Edited: 05-Dec-07
"I like it. Trained with Eugene Ho, now train with Vernon Rieta. Good stuff." The Mat Pimp, it looks like we're kung-fu brothers. =) I trained w/ Eugene and some of his guys (Ken, Dougie, Reed) for 6 years. Then, like you, I moved onto BJJ w/ the Onzuka bros. I moved back to the mainland last year though. I loved Hung Gar and Choy Li Fut. They're beautiful styles, and they encompass pretty much anything you'd need to use in a fight. The trick is getting to the sparring and application. I have a ton of respect and love for Eugene and his instructors, but they were very form-centric, to the extent that some students could complete the program yet have little knowledge/capability to use any of it in a real situation. But most importantly though, it was the great people there that made it a great experience. I miss those days.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.