UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Blood Meridian (Spoilers!)

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

10/4/06 6:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NoPlacebo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Oct-06

Just finished it and I'm a little confused by the language at the end. At first I thought that the terrible thing in the outhouse was the body of the little girl that was lost (seeing as there are a number of little girls that go missing during the book and I suspect the judge behind them all) but now it seems to me it was the body of the Kid murdered and possibly raped by the judge. What was your take on it? Also, even before reading the ideas of many other who thought the same, I thought the judge was the Devil or some kind of demon. What did you think?
10/5/06 10:09 AM
NoPlacebo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Oct-06
np
10/5/06 10:43 AM
bjung
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i thought the little girl had been killed earlier, besides the ending takes place many, many years after the bulk of the narrartive. The kid is an older man, the judge is still the same, an immortal, devil guy. i didn't know if the kid was raped, but definately think the judge killed him, took his soul or whatever. i began to think the judge was the devil pretty early on. let me try to remember certain scenes...like after the water hole when he's accused of killing some men, but instead insists that the men gave him horses. the devil never makes you do anything, you choose. that and because only the ex-priest knew/called the judge by name. plus the priest seemd to know about the judge in ways the others didn't.
10/5/06 11:06 AM
NoPlacebo

There are a few missing children through out the book but the one I thought was in the outhouse is present in the saloon at the end, it is her pet bear that gets shot and killed.
9/10/07 11:26 AM
Kneeblock
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Sep-07

I just finished it and the girl is definitely in the outhouse with the Judge, probably murdered.  I took it as though the Kid succumbed to the inevitability of war and bloodshed and went to the judge to engage in the slaughter.

Or the Judge simply killed him.

9/26/07 3:01 AM
Lite
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Sep-07
It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that it's the body of the Kid discovered in the outhouse.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.