UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Just started wrestling

10/7/06 2:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Seul
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Oct-06

I just started wrestling yesterday (freestyle, i guess) at my college, and I absolutely loved it. I've wanted to for years, this is the first chance i've had to give it a shot. I'm 20 years old, so i'm a little behind most guys at this point in experience, so here's my questions: Do you guys have any tips for improving as quickly as possible? (i'd like to compete before i finish college) And what avenues are available for wrestling after college? Are clubs or schools common?
10/7/06 4:12 PM
GoGreco
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Oct-06
I would say to improve as quickly as possible. You can aforrd to be a jack of all trades. Get 2 Shoots 2 throws 2 moves on bottom and 2 moves on top. Drill the hell out of them. Hey you may look 1D but how cares. If you have a Great double and a good Hi-C. Your going to be great on your feet. So what if your not hitting low singles and firemans carries. If you have a super stand up. And an average swich. Your going to be able to get away from most non-all-americans. I would say on top just let them go or(cut them) So you can spend more time working on your feet. If you cant beat some one on there feet your not going to be able to beat the with riding ether.
10/8/06 2:03 AM
FightStudent

Edited: 08-Oct-06
Go Greco's advice is sound. However, don't completely neglect learning how to ride and pin. It is a part of wrestling and if you don't really understand it, it makes it all the more difficult to learn how to defend against it.
10/10/06 5:12 PM
Fighting Legacy

Edited: 10-Oct-06
Clubs & schools vary depending on your location. Just do your best to train & practice as much as possible. Wrestling is a very rewarding sport that will help you grow spiritually, physically, and mentally. Best regards to your future in the sport!

10/10/06 11:38 PM
GoGreco

Edited: 10-Oct-06
To much cardio will get you thrown on your neck.
10/21/06 2:18 PM
Seul
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Oct-06
Thanks for all the advice! I may get to compete in a club meet next friday (6 days) due to injuries of some of the more experienced people in my weight class, I'm very excited. I'm concerned though, for a couple reasons: I can't shoot in for takedowns well enough to want to attempt them, so far i've been basing my standing offense on double underhooks (with mixed success, it lets me use some of the judo trips/throws i can do kinda well) and the same couple moves with a neck/inside bicep grip. I suck at top moves, though i have a bit of success with bottom. And I have to cut about 4 lb.s, which i know isn't a great deal of weight, but i've never cut before. Any advice you guys could share in regards to the above issues? (particularly cutting the weight, i've got only vague ideas on how to go about that). Thanks for all the encouragement!
10/31/06 10:12 AM
mikeshope

Edited: 31-Oct-06
my best advice would be to wrestle live as much as you can. Take go greco's advice and take a few moves from each position that you feel comfortable with and make them your own. If you can hit 2 different moves from each position perfectly you'll do just fine.
10/8/07 11:08 AM
Seul

Edited: 08-Oct-07
As its been almost exactly one year since my first post (a year of wrestling), I ust wanted to say thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I felt I benefited from having a little bit of direction, focusing on getting really good at just a few moves has really helped out. Wrestling has made a huge difference in my overall skill and athleticism, I look forward to keeping up with it for more years to come.
10/17/07 3:17 PM
Allinthefootwork

Edited: 17-Oct-07
Thanks for coming back to let us know - grappling roolz!
11/6/07 8:08 PM
BJJxJattVR12

Edited: 06-Nov-07
what college is this?
1/27/10 5:10 PM
Seul

Bumping my (very) old thread:

It was at Florida State University, sorry for the late response (lol).

I was able to continue for about 2 years (I transferred in to the college as a junior)prior to graduation. I managed to get in a day or two of rolling with submissions in most weeks, as well.

It was one of the best things I ever did, it had a HUGE impact on my overall athletic ability (it was crazy wrestling around with friends I used to "grapple" with prior to training, it let me see how much I had really improved). I was much stronger, much better conditioned, and much tougher (mentally and physically) than I had ever been before, I really wish I had started in high school.

I haven't gotten much training in since then (a couple months of MMA and a smattering of judo, though work/school made continuing with both difficult and I quit doing each).

I'm back in school (in a nursing program) and learning to box a little bit, but I found out I'll be able to start wrestling again. I'm pretty excited, I had more fun learning to wrestle than I did training any of the other things I've tried (Karate, Tai chi, submission wrestling, judo, MMA, boxing), though boxing is a close second.

My thought is to wrestle 2 or 3 times a week and get into my boxing gym once a week for sparring(was going to have to cut down to once a week anyway for financial reasons), if I can keep this up I think I'll be pretty happy throughout the 2 years I will still be in school.

I was pretty bummed about potentially having to take time off training while I finished up this new degree, I'm thrilled that I may not have too (wrestling is free). I might be able to compete a little, which I never quite managed to do in my first foray into the sport.

I'm also excited about getting proficient with a few more moves, I didn't have enough time to get comfortable with as many as I would have liked the first time through.

I'd love to get an amateur boxing bout or two and a couple wrestling meets/tournaments in before I graduate from school (again, lol), it would be a ton of fun and great preparation if I ever want to try competing in MMA (or judo, or BJJ, or anything really) after I'm out in the real world and in possession of disposable income; I'm glad that now I might have the chance, assuming I can keep my academics at the level I want to.
1/28/10 6:29 PM
Seul

Wow, i feel destroyed today. I got in a great practice yesterday, it was a ton of fun getting back out on the mat.

I did 100 burpees and 100 KB swings earlier in the day for time, in hindsight this was a bad idea. I'm so deconditioned it was a fight just to get through a regular practice, I could barely get out of bed this morning.

I've been guzzling food all day and sneaking in extra naps at every opportunity, lol.
2/1/10 3:41 PM
wrestlerguy04
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha..keep up the work. It'll come back soon enough. When it comes to wrestling just remember..when drilling it doesnt matter if you go slow as a turtle, just make sure your doing it with correct technique. When learning talk to yourself out loud or just in your head. Either way. Helps you learn a million times faster and better. Makes you actually aware of what your doing step by step.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.