UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Strong on Defence & Gift of fear

10/7/06 11:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
emo-Hawk
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Oct-06

i enjoyed reading both of these books and am going to pick up DeBecker's "Protecting the Gift". can anyone give me any other titles worth looking at in this genre? thanks.
10/14/06 7:36 PM
emo-Hawk

Edited: 14-Oct-06
the only one i read cover to cover was "The Gift of Fear". from the bit that i read of "Strong on Defense" it is along the same lines as TGoF...listening to your body's cues. as well i think it gets into survival mentality, ie having the right mentality to make it through an incident alive (kind of 'do-or-die'?). my friend recommended "Warriors: On Living with Courage, Discipline, and Honor", but i'm having trouble finding it.
10/17/06 3:06 AM
Roly_Poly_Puppy

Edited: 17-Oct-06 03:09 AM
Emo Hawk, What you are looking for is the following books, all of which I highly recommend: Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by Laurence Gonzales. Deep survival is about what it takes to survive a life threatening situation. It differentiates between the mindset between those that survive and those that die. Survival mentality is made up of different psychological and situational facets however one of the main underlying themes of the book is the mentality of those that survive is that they "give in" to the chaos and thrive on it. I think this book is core reading for understanding the survival mindset. Life at the Extremes: The Science of Survival by Frances Ashcroft. Life at the extremes has two main themes. One is how humans and animals survive in different geographic environments like deserts, artic, oceanic et. al. The other theme, that will probably be important to you, is the physiological underpinnings of survival. That is, how the body's processes work in extreme environments. This book will help you understand how far the human body can really go. Why Zebras don't get ulcers by Robert M. Sapolsky. This book is by the biologist/neurologist Sapolsky. He's one of the top researchers on stress. It covers much the same ground as the above book: the physiological response to stress and how to do deal with it. He is also a very funny guy. Whilst the above books aren't specifically self defence oriented the concepts contained therein can be applied to the martial realm. Kinda like the Japanese swordsmen Musashi's idea that real martial strategists are those that have studied many different art forms and applied them analogously to their particular art, thus bringing new patterns of thinking to old problems. The art form in this case being a persons performance within, and post-crisis study of, the realm of survival. With that in mind I'd also broaden your focus to another brother survival art such as mountain climbing (who knows, perhaps you'll even take it up). Soldiers around the world in peacetime (especially the british and australians) have used mountain climbing in their adventure training because it can simulate the physiological stresses of real combat. There is massive environmental stressors such as snow storms, you have to acclimatize quickly to your environment, you are heavily reliant on your will to push you on, you have to trust, and take care of, your personal equipment and the climbing buddy next to you. The list goes on. Some good books on mountain climbing are Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer, Nanda Devi: The Tragic Expedition by John Roskelley, Touching the Void: The Harrowing First Person Account Of One Man's Miraculous Survival by Joe Simpson. That's a list to start you on. There is also multiple other books out there on "survival mindset." I might also post a list of books later to this thread on body language and cues if you want.
11/5/06 1:26 AM
emo-Hawk

Edited: 05-Nov-06
thanks Roly Poly. apparently i haven't checked the bookground for a while. ttt for later...when my mind doesn't feel like mush.
11/7/06 12:22 AM
ThePigpen
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Nov-06
True story: I read The Gift of Fear, liked it so much that I wrote Gavin a letter asking him about Executive Protection schools. He responded with a job application and I ended up working for him for the next 5 yrs and traveling all over the world protecting his clients. You never know what tomorrow will bring....
11/8/06 7:26 PM
ThePigpen
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Nov-06
If you're asking me gusto, the experience was life changing. Firstly I realized that getting paid by the hour sucks, especially when you are starting at $10/hr and your client is making $30,000 an hour. Overall though, I got to meet some of the world's most fascinating people, travel all over the world sometimes for months at a time and experience things that I never would have otherwise. I quit after a 6 month trip through the Carribean when I found out that I'd be doing residential security for another client as soon as I got home.
11/20/06 9:45 PM
jrrrrr
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Nov-06
Gift of fear was a good book. I lent it to a coworker. After she read it, she blamed me for getting paranoid. She said that she realized how one of her boyfriends friends was a bit crazier than she would have thought before reading the book.
12/29/06 2:33 PM
GaryG
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Dec-06
"my friend recommended "Warriors: On Living with Courage, Discipline, and Honor", but i'm having trouble finding it." I found it on amazon and ordered it. Thanks for making us aware of it, looks like a great read. http://www.amazon.com/Warriors-Living-Courage-Discipline-Honor/dp/1581604548/sr=8-1/qid=1167420462/ref=sr_1_1/105-3293475-2995640?ie=UTF8&s=books
12/29/06 10:21 PM
El Maquina

Edited: 29-Dec-06
Has anyone read The Warrior's Edge? I'm thinking about picking this up.
1/9/07 2:45 PM
FlashGordon2002

Edited: 09-Jan-07
I began reading Gift of Fear and I was pretty dissappointed with it. It doesn't seem to be based on any statistical analysis, merely "common sense"...
1/10/07 1:53 AM
spaghetti

Edited: 10-Jan-07
Hey Emo-hawk, If you are still looking for "Warriors: On Living with Courage, Discipline, and Honor", my friend father wrote one of the chapters in the book. Ive had the privalege of having some conversations with him, and he is pretty inspirational. He has copies available on his website, as well as some other books he quite enjoys. Check it out at http://www.winningmindtraining.com/Products/Books.htm Tell him Brad sent you.
2/10/07 2:26 AM
Roly_Poly_Puppy

Edited: 10-Feb-07 02:29 AM
FlashGordon2002 is correct. I would love to see a well priced book on fear that is grounded in science. Most books on fear are either insanely priced psychology texts or they are sociological studies of fear in cultural and political contexts, whilst interesting, they are rather abundant in form unlike the scarce low-priced scientific account of fear. The only book I've managed to find on Amazon that is reasonably priced and seems to be somewhat scholarly is "Panic: Origins, Insight, and Treatment" by Brooke Warner. Even then, the book looks like it is heavily focused on panic attacks and not fear per se. Two other books worth mentioning on my tobuy list are "A History of Terror: Fear & Dread Through the Ages" by Paul Newman which is historically based (and probably better than the sociological accounts) and "Sacred Cow, Mad Cow: A History of Food Fears" by Madeleine Ferrieres which is a niche account of psychological fear within the world of food contamination.
2/19/07 4:47 PM
FlashGordon2002

Edited: 19-Feb-07
I remember taking part in a psychology study at my school (I got paid $5 or something). You had to fill out a questionnaire and the questions were meant to guage the levels of "disgust" a person could tolerate. The questions were hilarious. One of them asked if you would eat soup that had been stirred with a clean (never used) fly swatter. Another asked if you would willingly swallow a small plastic ball if you knew it would pass harmlessly through you.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.