UnderGround Forums

Jen >> ezekial from within guard - tips?

10/8/06 3:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kingabiu
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Oct-06

Mike, I am a Judo player, and as I'm sure you know, in contest we often don't get a lot of time for newaza. So if someone has locked on a closed guard just to stall, I'm thinking it could be a good strategy to apply ezekial (our 'sode-guruma-jime') from inside. Do you have any tips as to how I can minimize my risks of getting swept or subbed? Thanks!
10/10/06 3:05 PM
Bolo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Oct-06
I don't do that technique from within the guard. I'm sure if there was some way to look at competition statistics, it's not a very high percentage thing to do. Have I seen anyone get tapped out from that choke while someone was in their guard? Yes. Heck, one of my students tapped another student with that from the bottom of side control, but that's not something that I teach as there is no way I could pull that off on another BJJ black belt. I personally don't teach things that I can't do consistantly on another higher level player. Sorry I couldn't help you.
10/11/06 10:21 PM
FightsHurt

Edited: 11-Oct-06
Tapped from the top of side mount? That guy must suck!
12/29/06 4:10 AM
jeyel

Edited: 29-Dec-06
"Have I seen anyone get tapped out from that choke while someone was in their guard? Yes. Heck, one of my students tapped another student with that from the bottom of side control, but that's not something that I teach as there is no way I could pull that off on another BJJ black belt." On the other hand, how would you defend/counter if someone were to pull that on you while within your guard?
12/29/06 12:35 PM
Bolo

Edited: 29-Dec-06
Let's say he has his right arm behind your head and his left hand across your neck. Take your left arm and go over top his right arm so that your left bicep is on his right forearm and your arm is bent at a 90 dgre angle in front of you. Now take your right hand and cup over top your left tricep. Then squeeze your arms together. This will begin to wristlock the wrist that is behind your head. If they don't feel it in their wrist, they will feel like their fingers are bending back.
12/30/06 6:38 AM
jeyel

Edited: 30-Dec-06
Thanks Bolo for the quick reply. I think I can kinda picture the move in my head. Will give it a try with my training partner soon...
7/22/07 3:19 AM
jeyel

Edited: 22-Jul-07
Yo Bolo... "Let's say he has his right arm behind your head and his left hand across your neck. Take your left arm and go over top his right arm so that your left bicep is on his right forearm and your arm is bent at a 90 dgre angle in front of you. Now take your right hand and cup over top your left tricep. Then squeeze your arms together. This will begin to wristlock the wrist that is behind your head." Can this same technique be applied against the guy who is on top in your halguard?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.