UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> I'm so frustrated w/ my education

10/19/06 9:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CR1chard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Oct-06

I'm now working on my FIFTH year towards getting my goddamn Associate's Degree. I just hate working all day, then driving to school and sitting in class for several hours.

All I have to do is take a Structured Systems Analysis & Design (1&2) class, and I have the degree. But I keep dropping the goddamn thing! I'm so lazy when it comes to doing homework and going to class - I'd rather just skip class and go to BJJ or just drive around for a few hours while I'm supposed to be in class. This class isn't the type I can just skip without being fucked by not understanding what the hell is going on.

I don't know what I want to do with my life - I'm underpaid at my current job, and there doesn't seem to be any room for the type of raise I want (or deserve - I'm only making $28K as the QA/QC manager for a medical device manufacturing company...the low end of the spectrum for this type of work is almost double that).

My Associates, if I ever get it, will be in Management Information Systems - I don't even know what to do with this degree. I can take an accounting course and have a "certificate" in Business Administration as well. Right now I'm stuck at the college I'm currently attending, as I go there basically for free since my father works there, so transfering to a closer school isn't an option.

I'm just ranting, but this sucks and I don't know what to do...

oh, and FRAT

10/19/06 1:32 PM
mestregruber
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Oct-06
Uh, why not get another job in the same field, if you could be making twice as much? The degree will bolster your salary request, IMO, even if it doesn't directly apply to the job requirements. Sounds like you have a lot of experience in the field, which is probably more important than an Associate's degree anyway.
10/20/06 11:05 AM
Joe Lauzon
695 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Oct-06
JoeLauzon.com
His pay is much less because he doesnt have a degree in what he is doing. Biggie... it all comes down to realising there is a reason it has taken you 5 years and you dont have your associates yet... you get frustrated and you quit at everything you do. Suck it up, and get your shit done. You can't drop something as soon as it gets hard.
10/20/06 3:20 PM
mestregruber
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe: most jobs I have seen ask for a degree or "equivalent experience." Sounds like he has plenty of experience. Your analysis is spot-on, however. 5 years for an Associate's? If you weren't so close to it, I'd just say "school is clearly not for you." As it is, just suck it up and get it out of the way.
10/20/06 4:21 PM
Joe Lauzon
695 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeLauzon.com
He hasnt been at this job very long... less than a year (I think). And he came in as an entry level position, and they just said "Here, you do this now" and gave him more work, but no more pay. So its not that he is extremely qualified... the extra stuff just fell in his lap because he was there. Thus, why he cant get the same job elsewhere.
10/27/06 7:51 PM
Liyon
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Oct-06
"I don't know what I want to do with my life" That's obviously the most pressing issue here, imo. You're going to have to think this through and make some huge sacrifices. Either continue with your possibly dead-end, low-paying job or feel the pinch by going to school full-time.
10/29/06 1:06 AM
Kona Silat
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Oct-06
It sounds like too much time spent just for an Associates Degree, which don't carry a lot of weight.
10/29/06 5:56 AM
TapoutRookie
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Oct-06
Don't feel bad there CR1...I have been working on my degree for a few years also...all I need is a science class and 1 more Hum. calss and I will have 2 associates...but they really mean nothing except I would actually have to goto Grad school and apply myself a little more.
10/31/06 10:26 AM
asdf
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Oct-06
""Here, you do this now" and gave him more work, but no more pay. " That is not unusual. You can't get bitter about stuff like that because it's about long-term growth. Complaining about that is like complaining about being sore after a workout. If you have more responsibilities you will be better prepared for your next job or a possible promotion.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.