UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> A serious state of despair

10/20/06 8:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Cuex
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Oct-06 08:49 PM

Well let me start by saying I'm about to graduate with a BA in psychology. Sounds great, right? Well, he's the problem. My GPA sucks (I'll be lucky if I graduate with a 2.5) so that rules out grad school. I don't even think I would want to continue studying psych in the first place. Secondly, I've pretty much wasted much of my time with school. Just turned 30 and don't have much to show for it besides a paper that says "I know a crap load of useless info." Seriously, the only branch of psych that can be considered a science is behavioral. Those were the only classes I enjoyed. So what am I to do now? I always had this dream of being in a noble profession that payed well (i.e. doctor, nurse, etc.) but I bet on the wrong horse with psych. Is there anyway to do something with this degree that is worth it? Or do I bite the bullet and start studying something else?
10/21/06 4:29 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 21-Oct-06
You might be able to do something other than psych for grad school, that's certainly an option to consider. But being a medical doctor is probably out of the question. What are your options in terms of changing subjects?
3/6/07 8:03 PM
Cuex

Edited: 06-Mar-07 08:11 PM
Well abit of an update. I've decided to go back and redo my bachelors. Plan to graduate at the top this time. As a wrote earlier, I want to work in the medical field in some instance, maybe even study something that would give me a chance to enter med school. What I don't want to do is make the same mistake a second time. 1. What are the most demanding/high paying medical field related jobs right now? 2. What can I study that will give me the basic sciences as requirements in order to not close the door of medical school but also not be a useless degree ala biology, chemistry, etc.? I keep leaning towards Nursing but I hear many horror stories about that field. I guess there has to be a reason for the high demand for nurses. Thanks in advance.
3/7/07 12:10 AM
rkjmd

Edited: 07-Mar-07
I just finished medical school and I suggest nursing school. I worked with women, and men, who were making great money after a lot less schooling. And a couple of nurses were in my medical school class. Several others were going for their CRNA and the ones who completed that were making $200,000.00 a year. That's more than a lot of doctors. So, I say nursing.
3/7/07 8:26 AM
FiatLux

What are you doing that will allow you to redo your degree? "2. What can I study that will give me the basic sciences as requirements in order to not close the door of medical school but also not be a useless degree ala biology, chemistry, etc.?" You think biology and chemistry are useless, but you want to be a doctor? I have a hard time believing that you'll get into a medical school without doing very well in several biology or chemistry labs...
3/7/07 5:26 PM
Cuex

"What are you doing that will allow you to redo your degree?" I guess I worded that incorrectly. What I'm doing is cutting my losses (bad GPA) either re-admitting into my university from my AA or transfering to another school, and getting a bachelors in something to prepare me for med school. "You think biology and chemistry are useless, but you want to be a doctor? I have a hard time believing that you'll get into a medical school without doing very well in several biology or chemistry labs... " I don't think biology or chemistry are useless, I think a bachelors degree in them without getting into med school is though. Short of being a high-school teacher or lab rat, there's not much one can do with those degrees and, well I have aspirations that require a bigger bank account than what those jobs can offer.
3/7/07 11:51 PM
rkjmd

Good luck.
3/8/07 12:40 PM
Ted Bennett
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Mar-07

Even with a crummy GPA, as long as you have a reasonable GRE (1100 or better), you can get into most terminal MA or MS programs in psychology. *If* you bust your ass in such a program, and also study up/practice for the GRE and make sure you get a score over 1200, you could then apply for a Ph.D. program in psychology and have a good shot at getting in. I saw it happen fairly frequently - the faculty at my program usually interpreted it as someone who played around in college but then got serious in a lower-level grad program and proved they could hack it in a doctoral curriculum.

Seriously, the only branch of psych that can be considered a science is behavioral. Those were the only classes I enjoyed.

That's the focus of most clinical programs, you won't be disappointed in your number of options if that's what you truly like. And I would disagree - neuro is as scientific as it gets, and it's obviously quite different from the work of Watson, Skinner, et al. :-)

If you want to do med school, be warned - you'll have to do at least 2 years of college to get all the requirements done (biology, chemistry, physics, etc.), then 4 years of med school, then 4-7 years of residency - you're looking at anywhere from 10 to 13 years MORE of school. If you're 30, that's a *long* time to have no steady income. I've seen people do it, though.

And my option above is only slightly less bad - getting into a MA/MS program would cost you two years, then a Ph.D. would be 3-5 (depending on how much they allowed you to bring over from your MA/MS), then a year of internship, then a year of residency - for a total 7 - 9 years.

If you really wanted to be quick, bust your ass studying for the LSAT and go to law school - I've known folks to get into state-run schools with a 2.5 and a killer LSAT score. From there it's 3 years to completion. If you have to be involved in health care somehow, maybe you could go into either medical malpractice or else be a defense attorney for docs ;-)

3/9/07 10:23 PM
FiatLux

Edited: 09-Mar-07
"I guess I worded that incorrectly. What I'm doing is cutting my losses (bad GPA) either re-admitting into my university from my AA or transfering to another school, and getting a bachelors in something to prepare me for med school." Interesting. I guess this works if you redo every single class.
3/10/07 1:21 AM
Cuex

Edited: 10-Mar-07
"Interesting. I guess this works if you redo every single class." Yeah if everything goes as planned, I'm pretty much starting at the 2 year mark. BTW, anyone have info on the biomedical engineering profession? Job availability, demand (in South Florida), pay, etc. This subject seems to have everything I'm looking for, plus my local university offers a BS, MS, and PhD in the field.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.