UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> Integrating Savate with "CM"

10/29/06 6:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
lawrenceofidaho
754 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Oct-06

I have been working the "CM" stand-up fighting material (from Matt's UK & Denmark seminars DVD) for a while and have found it very helpful.

Recently, one of my training partners ordered Mr Duby's Savate set, and after watching a couple of the videos, it seems that some of it might be difficult to integrate with the "CM" structure.

Does anyone who's already done some experimentation with using both have any insight or advice for us who are just beginning to try to add some of the Savate to our "CM"-based foundation?

I appreciate anyone's time who might be able to offer a few tips so we're not re-inventing the wheel at every single turn.  (Thanks....)

10/29/06 8:48 PM
Mike Sweeney
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Oct-06
What specific components are you looking to integrate? If you are referring to the movement, footwork, etc. of savate, I don't see it as incompatible. I just see it as a difference of range and strategy.
10/30/06 12:19 AM
asymmetrik

Edited: 30-Oct-06
le crazy monkey, imo.
10/30/06 2:58 AM
lawrenceofidaho
754 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One thing I was concerned with were that several of the kicks (or variations of kicks) had the hips far from being squared up to your opponent; therefore requiring a transition from "CM"-facing, to sideward (or exposing your back), to "CM"-facing again.  We are just drilling the kick mechanics and beginning to learn the ranges (introduction stage) so I don't know yet if this will inherently be a problem once we try to begin integrating into sparring, but it seems a bit riskier than staying with bread & Butter CM with an occasional low round kick.

Secondly, many of the kicks were demonstrated with arms and hands extended "out" for balance purposes.  Those hand positions certainly seem to make the kicks and footwork easier and more fluid, but again it deviates from the safety keeping your head behind your forearms and hunched back between your shoulders.

We are just getting started with it, so more specific questions might come up later as we try to answer some of them ourselves with a bit of practice and experimentation (but still feel that something is perhaps not quite right or could be done better.) 

-Just wondering if there was any general advice, or "aha!" moments that those of you who've worked with both might be able to share.

10/30/06 5:53 AM
Jorx
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

le simian imbecile IMO
10/30/06 10:20 AM
asymmetrik

^ touche!
11/4/06 1:39 PM
cprevost
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Nov-06
Lawrence, I haven't seen anyone here at the Portland gym using anything that looks like savate. Not sure if it's part of the curriculum here any more, or if it ever was? I don't know much about savate. Mostly what I see looks like boxing, muay thai, and wrestling clinch. Most folks work out of a boxing or muay thai type structure adding in the CM. The only kicks I've seen have been muay thai type.
11/4/06 6:38 PM
lawrenceofidaho

Edited: 04-Nov-06

Thanks for the reply, CP.

It's an older video set.  (Robert F. is the demo partner for most of it.)  I'm sure things have continued to evolve, but just wondering which parts (the most functional / highest percentage techniques and concepts?) might have endured and still get used in sparring (and self-defense drilling.)

11/9/06 11:12 PM
cprevost
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Nov-06
Wish I could help but I haven't seen enough savate to recognize it when I see it. You should email Matt.
11/10/06 10:47 AM
Mike Sweeney

Edited: 10-Nov-06
It's all kickboxing IMO.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.