UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> 2006/2007 Super stock Championship

10/31/06 6:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lymie
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Oct-06

Last weekend was the first race of the 2006/2007 season for Team Suzuki. We have two 2006 GSXR 600's entered Im riding The No 7 GSXR and my Team mate Andy is on No 28. The weekend stared really well. On the practice day both of us got in the top three on the days timing sheet. Andy was second with a lap time of 1min 53.1 seconds I was third with a lap time of 1min 53.4 seconds. The next day (Friday) was qualifying and both races. Andy when out and put in a great lap and qualified in 2nd place on the grid with a lap of 1min 51.5seconds. I had a bitch of a time, as I kept on getting caught up with back markers and did not get a clear lap the entire session. I qualified in 7th with a disappointing 1min 54.3seconds. In his last lap of qualifying Andy noticed a mis fire and pulled into pit lane. Big problems. His cam shaft was hitting the bucket and shaving bits of metal off. We tried to fix the bike in time for the race but it was never going to happen. So my team mate had to sit out both races. Race One Started in 7th place and got my usual flier of a start and went into turn 1 in 4th place. I held fourth for most of the race, and at times was pushing the guy in 3rd. In lap 10 I made a move on third, and fu*ked it up royally. Missed my brake marker on the back straight and over shot the corner. Ended up in the kitty litter. I managed to keep the bike upright and re entered the track in 7th. I only had a lap and a half to try to get back up the front and ran out of time. I finished in 7th, and was suitably pissed off. Race two was a carbon copy of race one - Great start in 4th and pushing for a place on the podium. Out broke myself and ran off the track. Stayed on the bike and rejoined in 7th. I managed to get one place back and crossed the line in 6th. Well pissed off with my self for making the same mistake twice and messing up my final position. At the end of the first weekend im in 6th place in the championship. I have a few positives to take away from the meeting - I now know Im fast enough to push for podiums and race wins, but I also know I have to be more consistent and make fewer (i.e. none) mistakes. Will update again with a few pics in a few days. Lymie
11/1/06 3:52 PM
howsyourhead
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Nov-06
hey man top ten is great (especially after running off the track), congrats. I finally got my race cherry popped in september, but was DQ'd for jumping the start. On a better note, my october race was a success for me. At WSMC they grid you according to points as opposed to qualifying so since I have 0 points I was gridded 22nd out of 29. I ended up getting a good start putting me in the top ten and finished 8th. What a blast! I though trackdays where fun! dicing it up going 100%, hunting people down. Im officially addicted.
11/2/06 2:54 AM
Lymie
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Nov-06
Yes I guess Im just a bit bummed as it could have been so much better. I should have had at least 2 fourth place finnishes. Will do better next time. 22nd to 8th is a hell of a race mate, thats some damm good racing! And yes the buzz from hunting down another bike and passing it is one of the best in the world!
11/9/06 2:49 AM
Lymie

Edited: 09-Nov-06
Got a pic - If some one can post it up for me as I such at teh internets.... Url is http://www.anysportphotos.com/images/SS600/SS31102006PICT5857.jpg Lymie
11/9/06 2:50 AM
Lymie

11/9/06 2:50 AM
Lymie

I guess I dont suck at teh internets after all.....
11/9/06 2:51 AM
Lymie

11/9/06 2:53 AM
Lymie

The second pic is going into turn 1 in race one - Im in 4th.....
11/9/06 6:04 PM
howsyourhead
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im jealous! You guys get to ride some nice clean tracks over there and all I get is bumpy ass willow springs, streets of willow, and buttonwilow, unless I want to travel across the damn state!
11/10/06 12:18 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Nov-06
LOL.......at least you're not at nhis.
11/11/06 12:41 AM
Lymie

Edited: 11-Nov-06
Yes the track is smooth, but its only 2-3 years old so it will start to get a bit more of a personality as time goes by. I have heard that the yank track are super bumpy, I would love a few more on track obsticles to ride around and through! Im racing again this weekend - we have the FIA GT 500 race here and we wil be doing two support races (on the 16/17/18th of Nov) No championship points are up for grabs but its good for the sponcers as we will be on TV....
12/3/06 1:50 AM
Lymie

Edited: 03-Dec-06
Latest updates Had two races this weekend. In Open practice I was riding very well and sat proud on top of the time sheet - Lapped in 1min 53 something. Over half a second quicker than nearest rival! In Qualifying I set a target for my self of 1min 52.6. I figured that would be fast enough to get a front row start or at least second row. I was wrong. I did the target and headed in to the pits. The other guys got faster and was stuck in 7th on the grid. Balls! Race one - Got a crap start bogged the bike down on the clutch and lost 2 or 3 places into turn one. rode like a nutter to try and get back up the standings. I battled with the guy in 9th for a lap of two and then laid down a killer black pass on a tight hairpin. Ran him off the track and then set about chasing down the next guy. Caught him in 3 laps and started to apply a bit of pressure. I showed him my front wheel a few times to try and force an error. Didn't work, so I got a bit pissed off and decided to try a different approach - out comes the block pass again. Worked a treat and moved up to 8th. Took another lap to catch the guy in 7th. Showed him the front of my bike and he made a mistake and ran wide. Nice now up to 7th with 4 laps to go. The guy in 6th was 6 seconds ahead of me with 3 laps to go. So I got my head down and went for it. I broke my personal best on the last lap (1Min 52.1seconds) and got right up to his back wheel. I went for the inside on the last turn of the race and lost the front. Got it back off my knee and got the power back on hard. Just did not have enough track to pass him. Got 7th but only missed 6th by 1/100th of a second. Race Two - Started from 7th and again got crap start. Was back in 9th after turn one. By the end of lap 2 I was back in 7th. Made a great pass on 7th and 8th in one turn and started to reel in the guy in 6th. It then started to rain. I backed off a bit to see how the grip was effected. The grip was ok so I stayed a good pace. Not good enough though as I was passed and pushed back down to 8th. Got back into 7th on the breaks and held it. Then got passed again and back down to 8th. It then started to piss it down. Got back up to 7th and then the guy ahead of me fell off. Up to 6th. I passed the guy in 5th with no problem at all, and was beginning to think PODIUM, when I saw the red flags. They called the race. Shit! That means the final positions go back to what they were at the end of the last completed lap. So even though I was in 5th I got 7th. It was far worse for my team mate - He has just passed the guy in third and got knocked back to 4th on count back. So im now in 7th in the championship and looking to get back on the bike ASAP to move up the standings! Next race is on the 15th of December. We have a new web site as well - check it out if you have time - WWW.teamsuzuki.ae
12/3/06 9:40 AM
Lymie

Edited: 03-Dec-06
Oh and my blue name ran out can some one post this pic pls http://www.anysportphotos.com/images/SS600/SS01122006PICT5427.jpg
3/10/07 6:49 AM
Lymie

Edited: 10-Mar-07
did not update in a while been real busy with work - Was on the track this weekend report is below: Race blog for 9th March 2007 Had a problem with the water pump leaking on the bike in the morning. We replaced the unit and got the bike running with no problems. Then in pits we noticed the front brakes were binding a bit on the disc. Off came the callipers and one of the pistons was sticking in the calliper causing the brake pad to drag on the disc. Big problem. We freed up the piston as much as we could and went out to qualify. Rode well every thing clicked and ran a personal best of 1min 50.3 seconds. Started the race from 5th on the grid. Got a great start and went into turn one in 4th. Ran well for the first few laps then the brakes started to act up. Overshot turn one, and dropped to 7th. Fought back up to 6th in lap 9 putting in a new personal best lap (again) of 1Min 49.6 seconds. Then missed a gear in downshifting and hit neutral on the last corner of lap 9. Ran off the track and dropped to 7th again. There was no way I was going to catch the guys ahead of me so settled for 7th. In preparation for race two we again tried to sort out the brakes but could not get it totally sorted out. We will have to strip the pistons out of the callipers over the next week or so to get them totally fixed. I started from 7th and again got a good start and went into turn one in 5th. Had a great battle with Rob on an R6 for the first 4 or 5 laps and then something else went wrong! The rear shock popped a seal and started to leak shock oil onto the rear tire. Also the back end of the bike felt like a pogo stick bouncing around. I though about pulling out of the race, but decided to try to ride around the problem. I managed to hold 5th till the last lap, when George on a CBR 600rr passed me when I almost crashed 3 turns from the end of the race. I tried to catch him but ran out of time. I got 6th and was only .2 of a second behind 5th. My team mate won both races - and we as a team pulled back some ground in the constructors championship.
3/11/07 1:06 PM
howsyourhead

Edited: 11-Mar-07
Thats great man. Congrats! Raing has been fun for me lately as well (even though its only club races). I got bumped up to expert in january and finished 18th in 650 superbike and then 15th in 600 superstock starting in 32nd and 31st in both races. I then crashed in the 3rd race of the day (600 mod prod) and separted my shoulder. That put me out for febuary, but Ill be back this month. Keep us updated and good luck!
3/11/07 1:20 PM
Lymie

Edited: 11-Mar-07
Thanks dude will do. Get well soon. How did you dump it?
3/12/07 5:26 PM
pm1964
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Mar-07
For Lymie:
3/13/07 9:09 AM
Lymie

Edited: 13-Mar-07
Ta PM - I love that pic - im getting the GSXR cranked right over.
3/13/07 5:01 PM
pm1964
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Mar-07
That is a good pic. I've only ever been on a track once, and I was terrified!
3/17/07 2:33 PM
howsyourhead

Edited: 17-Mar-07
I got on it a little to early exiting a horse shoe turn and hadnt stood the bike up enough and started drifting. I slid almost to the edge of the tarmac and it broke loose real hard then caught real hard and sent me flying. Bent the frame, subframe, rear wheel, and need all new bodywork. Highsides suer are expensive!
3/17/07 2:35 PM
howsyourhead

Edited: 17-Mar-07 01:40 PM
This is the turn that got me! Im # 662
4/11/07 9:16 AM
Lymie

Edited: 11-Apr-07
Latest Race report - From the weekend 30th of March. Had a crap practice day. The bike had a few problems. The rear shock that was sent to the UK to be fixed came back, we tried to fit it and it was still broken! Crap. Had to re fit the original rear shock and run with it instead. This would require setting up the suspension all over again as the old settings we now obsolete. A quick call to the top shock man in town (Lee) and we were ready to play with the springs on the morning of the race. When we got to the track we noticed the front brakes were binding on the disc. So off came the callipers for a service. Didn't work. The brakes were still binding. Callipers come off again, and this time we strip them down and remove the pistons. We found the problem, two of the rubber dust seals had twisted and were fouling on the pistons. The pistons in turn were unable to move and thus pushing the pads onto the disc. So we just removed the dust seals and ran the bike with out them. After all this work we ran out of time and I didn't get to ride the bike on the practice day. I did go out for one session on my team mate's bike, but could not push it hard as the bike was set up for him and he is a little fuller of figure than I. Race day - Lee showed up and we started trying to set up the bike's suspension in time for the first session. We got as close as we could and off I went for the first session of the day. Not a bad result the shock was ok and the brakes felt great. Was second on the timing sheets lapping in 1min 52. Qual + Race 1 A few more minor adjustments later and we went out to qualify. I got 6th on the grid. I got a great start in Race 1 and went into turn 1 in third place. I lost 3rd on lap two to a great pass from a Yam R6. I dropped another place in lap three, after a small mistake saw me run a little wide. I got back on the pace and took 4th back. I chased down the R6 in 3rd and sat behind him for a lap to plan a pass. I got into his air pocket down the back straight and made my move on the brakes. We were side by side slowing down from aprox 260kmph (160mph). I decided the only option was a block pass and held my ground. The R6 tried to turn in early and we hit. My left handle bar clipped his brake lever, causing the R6 to pull a lovely endo! I tried to settle my bike down and make the turn but had to run off the track. I kept it up right and rejoined the race in 6th The guys ahead of me were miles off, so I tried to get my head down to catch them. I was making ground on them but ran out of laps. I crossed the line in 6th. The crap part of the race was my Team mate Andy's motor went pop as he was leading the race. This has all but ended his push for the title. Race 2 I started the race from 6th on the grid, and as per normal got a good start. Andy took the third bike and had to start from last on the grid. Our other rider Gaz chose not to ride and gave his bike to Andy to try and rescue the Championship bid. I think I was in 4th in turn one. I held it for about 2 laps then got passed by an R6. I sat behind it for a lap and passed him back on the brakes. Its great having good brakes again! I pulled open a big gap over the R6 and settled down into a good rhythm. I did notice a bike trying to pass me on about lap 6. I had a quick look and it was Andy my team mate. I opened up a gap for him and let him pass me. I tucked in behind him and we tried to reel in the top 3. I was in 5th and Andy was in 4th. We caught the top 3 on lap 9. Andy got past the guy in 3rd. I stayed behind him with a plan to pass him on the next lap. Then I screwed it up. I out braked my self and ran off the track on lap 10. I lost the chance to get 4th but still had a big enough gap to hold on to 5th. Two good races and im pleased with the results.
4/12/07 3:00 PM
howsyourhead

Edited: 12-Apr-07
Wow thats great. Ill be back in action, first time since my wreck this coming weekend. I went to cali superbike school as a little warm up last sunday, so Im feeling good. My goal in the next few months is top ten although with top three guys (Who all run AMA) like Jeremy Toye, Jeff Tigert, and Jason Perez running like 7 seconds faster then me, it wont be easy. I know I can drop two seconds this weekend after learning some new tricks from keith code.
4/15/07 7:50 AM
Lymie

Edited: 15-Apr-07
Cool best of luck. What level of the school did you do? I just tried out (and failed bummer) to be a coach for the Cali school in the UK. Passed the riding skills part failed the thoery part. Got to hit the books befor I try out again.
4/20/07 8:38 PM
howsyourhead

Edited: 20-Apr-07
I just did level 1 since that is required and I had never been there. It looks like its pretty damn hard to become a coach there huh? I felt kinda weird though, because one of the coaches I race against and have beaten before. I guess that doesnt much matter though. Im sure he could still find alot of stuff Im doing wrong to help me with.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.