UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> 2006/2007 Super stock Championship

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/21/07 1:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lymie
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Apr-07
Yes Im faster than a few of the guys who coach here. Thing is though they can make you much faster. The thoery part of the test was a bitch. An hour and a half of questsions from two of the most respected bike people in europe. One of who coached Tomas Luthi to a world title.... Its a little scary... How did you get on with the school - did it help your riding?
4/21/07 5:28 AM
howsyourhead
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Apr-07
It helped alot actually. I have a tendency to drift toward a turn a dive in slow as opposed to a quick turn in. I have alot to work on.
4/28/07 2:42 AM
Lymie
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Apr-07
Race report.... Practice day So I just got back from the practice day. Not the best day ever but not so bad either. I decided not to put new tires on the bike - I figured it would save money! Mistake. I crashed the bike in the first session of the day. Not a big off but a crash none the less. The over used front tire did not cope with the heat too well, and while banked over on a right hander it just gave up on me and tucked. Its a second gear corner so I was doing something like 120-150kmph or (72-90mph). No big deal low sides are relatively painless, as you don't fall a long way, you just slide on the asphalt for a while. The bike was OK, needed to put a new brake lever, foot peg, and crash protector. I went out for the next session and the bike felt funny, the back end was loose around most of the right hand turns. Was it me or the bike. You tend to stiffen up after a crash so I figured it was me. I gave it 5 or six laps to allow me time to settle down. I was fine the bike was still sliding around. Into the pit to discover that the crash had caused an oil leak on the right hand engine cover. The crew are in the process of fixing it now, so my practice day is over. On a good note with crap used tires I was the 2nd fastest on the track in the first session. Over all I only got about 10 lap in and was sitting in about 5th overall with my time in the first session proving to be not half bad. With new tires tomorrow Im aiming for no crashes and a podium.
4/28/07 2:42 AM
Lymie

Edited: 28-Apr-07
Sorry this is a long one.......Frat! Holy crap it was hot yesterday - 40'C or 104'F. Not ideal conditions for motor bike racing. Well after all the problems on the practice day (caused by my inability to keep the bike rubber side down!) I was ready to go for it in qualifying. I went out did 3 laps (only one hot or fast one) and came back to the pits. Not bad - 4th on the grid. Due to the heat I figured I would take that and not try to improve it. I don't do well when its very hot out so the more energy I saved the better. Race 1 Got a good start and went into turn one in 3rd place. I had worked out a signal with my pit crew that if my team mate Andy was behind me they (the pit board crew) would let me know so I could let him past. Andy was still in with a chance of winning the title so I had to do my bit to try and help. I held 3rd for 4 laps and then saw the marker on my board that Andy was behind me. I let him pass and tried to tuck in behind him. I held 4th for one lap and then got passed by an R6. I tried to get him back but was getting tired. The heat was getting to me and to the OEM rear shock. I had a major moment in turn 4, I spun the back end up exiting the corner and nearly high sided. I stayed on the bike just.... By lap 6 I had no energy left at all. I stated to cramp and make a few mistakes. I got passed a few times. I held on to 8th place Which was Ok as the rider ahead of me in the championship could only get 9th. So I had closed the gap on him to 2 points. Race 2 In order to get 6th place over all I had to beat the guy ahead of me by 3 places. I had a good rest between the races (I slept for an hour) and drank lots of fluids to try and re-hydrate. I started the race in 8th on the grid (the position I finished in race one) and got a flyer of a start. In turn one I was in 5th. I got my head down and pushed the bike as hard as I could for the first 5 laps. I knew the rear shock was only good for 6-7 laps at best so the plan was to give it all I had in the first few laps and try to hang on. On Lap 6 I caught and passed the guy in 4th. I tried as hard as I could to reel in the bike in 3rd but the shock could not keep up with me! It started to overheat and act up. I dropped my pace off and decided to try to hang on to 4th and see what happens. On the last but one lap I got overtaken by a Honda (A friend of mine George), I did not want to let him beat me so I stuck to his back wheel. I put some pressure on him by showing him my front wheel in every braking zone, in an effort to force him into a mistake. The pressure worked and he ran off on the last corner of the penultimate lap. I was back in 4th. On the last lap my pit board told me I had a 1.5 second lead on the pack behind me, I made a decision to run very tight and deliberately slide the back wheel into corners. I wanted to make the bike as wide as possible so the pack behind me could not get past. I ran a very defensive line and managed to hold them off. I got 4th. As I crossed the line I looked behind to see who was there - The guy I needed to beat by 3 places was.....3 places behind. I got him! 6th in the championship over all. My team mate Andy was second over all, he could not close the gap on the winner. Team Suzuki were the Team Champions Suzuki were 2nd in the constructors Title. I had a great season, I improved my lap times and my consistency. I only fell off twice, and finished every race but one. I want to say a big thank you to the pit crew, the team sponsors and my team mates.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.