UnderGround Forums

Football Ground >> England World Cup Bid 2018

11/2/06 1:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Ray
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Nov-06

Government to back World Cup bid The government is willing to back an English bid for the 2018 World Cup, says Sports Minister Richard Caborn. Caborn revealed Chancellor Gordon Brown, who met Uefa president Lennart Johansson on Wednesday, was "very, very keen" on the idea. Asked whether the government would support a bid, Caborn told BBC Radio 4: "Absolutely. I have no doubt." The Football Association is still weighing up its options but chairman Brian Barwick said: "We would like it." The 2010 World Cup is being held in South Africa, with the 2014 tournament set to go to a South American country. From 2010, every third World Cup is expected to be awarded to a European country. Barwick added: "If that is the year when it comes back to Europe, we're going to go for it. "We don't have to decide now how we go about it, we have to learn the lessons of when we didn't get these things and learn the lessons of when we did - like the Olympics. "I think (bid leader) Lord Coe was very clever, a brilliant guy and a really huge contributory factor, as was the playing of the major officials at the right time." Coe has already indicated he would be willing to assist the FA in its bid. England's hopes have also been boosted by the support of Uefa president Lennart Johansson. "We would certainly support such a project," he said. Fifa will make its decision in 2010. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6109226.stm Awesome, first you have a Scot(Blair) getting the olym,pics to London, now you have another Scot(Brown) getting the world cup to England. Say thanks you English!
11/2/06 1:33 PM
Shotgun Mick

How is Blair Scottish?
11/2/06 1:52 PM
Govnor

I would LUV it!
11/3/06 8:08 AM
Joe Ray

Edited: 03-Nov-06
"How is Blair Scottish?" Because he was born and schooled in Scotland. look it up. I know his father is Scottish as well, but I'm not sure about his mother.
11/3/06 8:58 AM
Govnor

After living in the states for a few years I have come to the conclusion that you are from "how you sound." You are not Irish...you are not Italian and you are NOT Scottish.
11/3/06 9:09 AM
Joe Ray

"Blair was born at the Queen Mary Maternity Home[6] in Edinburgh, Scotland, the second son of Leo and Hazel Blair (née Corscadden). Leo Blair was the illegitimate son of two English actors, Charles Parsons and Mary Augusta Ridgway Bridson, whilst Hazel Corscadden's family were Protestants from County Donegal, Ireland. He has one elder brother, William Blair, who is a barrister and a Queen's Counsel (QC), and a younger sister, Sarah. Blair spent the first 19 months of his life at the family home in Paisley Terrace in the Willowbrae area of Edinburgh. During this period his father worked as a junior tax inspector whilst also studying for a law degree from the University of Edinburgh.[6] His family spent three and a half years in the 1950s living in Adelaide, Australia, where his father was a lecturer in law at the University of Adelaide.[7] The Blairs lived quite close to the university, in the leafy suburb of Dulwich. The family returned to Britain in the late 1950s, living for a time with Hazel Blair's parents at their home in Stepps, near Glasgow. Blair spent the remainder of his childhood in Durham, England, his father being by then a lecturer at Durham University. After attending Durham's Chorister School Blair boarded at Fettes College, a fee-paying school in Edinburgh, where he met Charlie Falconer, whom he later appointed Lord Chancellor. Blair reportedly modelled himself on Mick Jagger, and is said to have enjoyed a reputation as a conspicuously "cool" young man among his fellow pupils. His teachers, however, were less impressed by his behaviour: his biographer John Rentoul reported that "All the teachers I spoke to... said he was a complete pain in the backside, and they were very glad to see the back of him." "
11/3/06 9:26 AM
Shotgun Mick

Edited: 03-Nov-06 09:28 AM
So he is half English, half Irish.
11/3/06 9:27 AM
Govnor

I'd classify him as "Northern" going by that.
11/4/06 12:25 PM
KurtCorris
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Nov-06
may as well go for the bid. unless we're all destroyed by the north koreans before then...
11/6/06 4:49 AM
Joe Ray

Edited: 06-Nov-06
"Blair was born at the Queen Mary Maternity Home[6] in Edinburgh" His father was also Scottish. He is Scottish IMO. My entire family comes from England, only me and my sister come from Scotland. And I sure as hell am Scottish.
11/6/06 6:33 AM
Shotgun Mick

Edited: 06-Nov-06
You have lived in Scotland all your life though. You think he's Scottish I think he's English/Irish.
11/7/06 8:01 AM
BaldTony
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Nov-06
There was a report by FIFA after Germany about World Cup hosting. The problem with an English bid is not the Stadiums it's the lack of space near the stadiums for the corporate parks they had in Germany. I don't have a link for the report, but it was written up in the various broadsheet newspapers at the time.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.