UnderGround Forums

MMA Wagering UnderGround >> Public pounding underdog champ

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

11/3/06 5:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Nov-06

Public pounding underdog champ in Saturday`s fight  

By Jason Logan

Fri, Nov 3, 2006 

Everyone loves an underdog. That could explain why boxing fans have moved the odds on WBC Welterweight champion Carlos Baldomir from +800 down to +400 for Saturday night's fight against 'Pretty Boy' Floyd Mayweather.

This public push for the 35-year-old Argentine can be linked to his past two fights in which he punished welterweight stars Zab Judah (winning the WBC title) and most recently Arturo Gatti. Tata, as he is affectionately known, is undefeated in the last seven years with a record of 43-9-6 with 13 knockouts.

Issues within 'Pretty Boy's' camp could also be swaying bettors to favor Baldomir, after Mayweather's uncle and trainer, Roger Mayweather, was incarcerated for six months on assault charges. In Roger's absence, Mayweather has turned to his advisor Leonard Ellerbe to handle the bulk of his preparation.

"Being around the sport so long, I should be able to go out there and handle myself for 35 or 40 minutes without my uncle in my corner," Mayweather told USA Today. "When it`s all said and done, a trainer can`t fight for a fighter. When it comes down to skills and smarts, it`s about what a fighter knows." ................more 

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.