UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Sick Iguana

11/6/06 2:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MIKEBROOKS
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Nov-06

I had an Iguana (2-3 yrds old) that was extremely sick...I was ignorant for listening to the people @ the pet store in the area. When I asked what the top food would be for her. They told me to buy this food from them and it was everything she would ever need! The poor girl was so deprived of CALCUIM it was sickning. Her bones were like rubber, she went into seizures a few times one week lasting for seconds at a time then seemed to be fine. I had her to the vet for a few days hooked up to an I.V. but she was unable to comeback. Moral of the story dont trust the money grubbin bastards @ the Pet Store.... Do some research yourself. I cant just blame the Pet Store workers...I should have been more attentive myself. Brooks
11/8/06 12:50 PM
sepe

Edited: 08-Nov-06
I had one years back and the local pet stores didn't know anything about them...it wouldn't eat its food properly...loved lettuce and thats about all it would eat...wouldn't eat the vitamin flake things from the vet...it lives in a shoebox in my parents backyard now.
11/8/06 1:39 PM
MIKEBROOKS

HaHa thats where mine is as well...in a shoebox in the backyard of my old house....a large shoebox. Brooks
11/8/06 5:46 PM
Monroe
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bought one when I was 15 from a pet store. They told me iguanas couldn't bite because they didn't even have teeth and they just ate lettuce, lol. I gave him away because I couldn't figure out why he was pissed off all the time. I feel bad now.
12/3/06 5:32 PM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Dec-06
It's sad how little many petstores know even today, with all the info available at our fingertips. My ol' yonger adult Iguana about 11 years ago. Raised him from a wee baby to a 5' monster :) Luckily i researched like a mofo and managed to find mostly good info about calcium, D3, UVB etc. Plus he always had a cage large enough with lots of outside time in the summer. Sadly the ex's cats didn't enjoy his displaying and smashing into his cage when they got near so she made me get rid of him. In hidsight i shoulda just gotten rid of her then lol
12/3/06 5:33 PM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Dec-06
He got a fair bit beefier than that too, but the pics are long gone :(
12/4/06 5:05 PM
MasterGumHo

Edited: 04-Dec-06
www.greenigsociety.org is a great source of info for them.. 99% of pet stores can't give you the right info.
12/13/06 1:15 PM
MIKEBROOKS

Edited: 13-Dec-06
That is a great...nice pics there. Mine wasn't 5' long because the tail was broken off when I had purchased her. She did have some good length even with the new tail. Brooks
2/16/07 1:38 AM
The Cannibal
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Feb-07
makes me miss ine, was a 6 footer ith a blue/purple head and orange tinted arms and legs
5/12/07 11:54 PM
StrikeAnywhere
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-May-07
I had one that lived for about 6 years...got to around 3' in length. I handled it regularly for the first year or so (bought it as a 6inch long baby) to acclimate it to human touch. Then i went to college and got left at my parents since I couldn't have it in the dorms. By the time I moved into a house sophomore year it would get freaked by people touching because my parents feed it but never handled it so it went a year without contact. When my wife finishes school and we move into a bigger house (one with a basement) I plan on getting another one and having a cage big enough for it to reach full size.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.