UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Question to FudoMyoo

11/12/06 7:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DonnaTroy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Nov-06

Hi, FM! So long don't see you. I was thinking about you this afternoon. 1 - What does your nick mean? 2 - How is your training going? Are you still competing? 3 - About Martinus, how is he known in Sweden? 4 - Is there a site in English (or Spanish, French, Portuguese) where I can find statistics about religion in Sweden and other northern countries? Thank you.
11/14/06 2:15 PM
vermonter
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Nov-06

#1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fudo

-doug-

11/14/06 6:49 PM
DonnaTroy

Edited: 14-Nov-06
Thanks.
11/21/06 12:06 PM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 21-Nov-06
Hi Donna, good to hear from you. "Hi, FM! So long don't see you." yeah, since I started to study philosophy seriously at university it has been much harder to spare time for the internet and discussions on fora etc. "1 - What does your nick mean?" I hope Dougs link answered that. (Thanks Doug). "2 - How is your training going? Are you still competing?" I haven´t competed since I left Brazil unfortunatly, but I give BJJclasses at HILTI. But even the training is suffering, since my studies demand so much time now. Which is a bit sad sometimes.. "3 - About Martinus, how is he known in Sweden?" His books are translated into swedish and sold here. "4 - Is there a site in English (or Spanish, French, Portuguese) where I can find statistics about religion in Sweden and other northern countries? " Try CIA´s World Factbook. You can look up any country you wish there.
11/22/06 3:40 AM
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Nov-06
Hey Fudo :) I wanted to ask about your philosophy studies. Are you doing your PhD or MA? What are your main interests and what are you researching right now? I´d like to come to visit you guys and train with you in Hilti sometime. Not very far ya´know :) Greets, Indrek
11/22/06 9:42 AM
FudoMyoo

Hey Indrek! It would be great if you visited us. Actually Murillo Bustamante himself, is gonna give a small seminar this saturday at HILTI. That might be the time to go? :-) I´m not doing research or anything fancy like that (lol), I´m still just a student. I have read about two years philosophy at the university full time now; some course on normative ethics, and then meta-ethics, two courses on history of philosophy, and I have taken courses on philosophy of mind and a course on the Free will-problem. but mostly I have studied Logic and philosophy of Science. Those are the most interesting subjects for me right now. Next year, I´ll take another course in political philosophy and I´ll also try this course in metalogic, that I have heard is quite difficult; it´s about proofs and formal systems. and then a seperate course that covers Gödels incompletenesstheorem in detail. Lets see how that goes.. what about you, is it still mostly meta-ethics and political philosophy?
11/22/06 2:25 PM
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey This saturday is a bit too soon, but maybe in january. I haven´t been able to train very much lately - gotta fix that and get me into some shape :) What university do you go to? Yep, it is still mostly meta-ethics, normative ethics and political philosophy for me. Currently doing my MA here and I think I am gonna write my thesis on contractarianism / contractualism. But I am also interested in metaphysics (personal identity, determinism, philosophy of mind). Lately I´ve also enjoyed philosophy of language. Pretty much everything. I am even starting to like logic (for god sakes, logic!). The differences and connections between analytic and continental philosophy also intrigue me. Have you read Frank Jacksons "From Metaphysics to Ethics". If you haven´t I strongly recommend it :) Greets, Indrek
11/23/06 4:27 AM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 23-Nov-06
I´m at Stockholms University. Thanks for the recommandation, I have read some of Frank Jacksons articles, but not that particular book. I also took a course in Philosophy of language, but up to date I think that has been that most difficult course I ever went to. very abstract. I hope to see you in january then! :) Regards /Marcus
11/30/06 3:25 AM
Indrek R.

Edited: 30-Nov-06
Hey I checked out the homepage of your university - you seem to have a great group of scholars in practical philosophy. Something for my taste :) Greets, Indrek
11/30/06 3:00 PM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 30-Nov-06
Yes, we have some famous ones in both the teoretical and the practical philosophy department. was it anyone in particular that you had in mind?
12/2/06 4:22 AM
Indrek R.

Edited: 02-Dec-06
No, noone in particular, just the general level. You should visit us in Tartu in February. We have the Gottlob Frege lectures, a guy from Germany, Wolfgang Künne is going to talk for 3 days about truth: http://daniel.cohnitz.net/index.php?frege We are reading Künne´s book and discussing it now. A good book - I recommend it: http://www.amazon.com/Conceptions-Truth-Wolfgang-Kunne/dp/0199280193/sr=8-1/qid=1165051242/ref=sr_1_1/002-8847399-0418466?ie=UTF8&s=books Greets, Indrek
2/21/07 12:57 AM
rkjmd

Edited: 21-Feb-07
ttt
2/26/07 5:27 PM
Giorgos

Edited: 26-Feb-07
hey good luck with that B.A. However, as your elder when it comes to philosophy (I already have my M.A :) ), do heed my words...STAY AWAY FROM GODEL!!! oh metalogic is a must though and don't let them scare you. It's not that hard.
3/1/07 7:42 PM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 01-Mar-07
Thanks Giorgos!

I´m fighting hard with the metalogic right now.. completeness, the compactness theorem, set theory, mathematical induction proofs in peano arithmetics etc

It´s fun, but hard for me that didn´t have a solid background in mathematics.

Why do you think I should stay away from Gödel btw?
3/2/07 7:54 PM
Giorgos

Edited: 02-Mar-07
errr, cause I am sure you'll be doing the "incompleteness of arithmetic" proof, which is pages and pages long and it goes really really deep into metalogic. Personally, I have to admit, I cannot follow the proof. I know what it is about and what the issue is, but I just can't follow the proof. But hey, I am not a logician; I only had like 5 classes in logic and a couple of calculous. If it is a serious class on Godel and you really want it, I'd advise that you take it as one of your last ones before you graduate and after you've had a solid logical foundation. "mathematical induction proofs in peano arithmetics" hey that's sweet logic. You get to appreciate the "2+2=4" and this ain't no joke ! If I remember correctly, that inductive step you take in Peano is one of the issues in Godel's proof btw.
3/4/07 1:28 PM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 04-Mar-07
You are probably right, and that´s why it is the last course in the series my professor gives at this level. But according to him, gödels incompletenss theorem is slightly easier then what we are doing now. But then again, his perception of what is easy and difficult is not really applicable on students.. ;-)
But it is not the last course I´l do before I graduate, or even in logic. After this there is some even more advanced logiccourses in proof theory, algorithm theory, model theory and set theory. If I manage the courses I´m doing now, I might go for those as well.
3/4/07 4:49 PM
Giorgos

Edited: 04-Mar-07
wow...good luck then!! are you doing a logic minor by the way? cause it is the first time I hear about a philosophy B.A with so many logic courses in it and at that level...
3/5/07 7:34 AM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 05-Mar-07 07:43 AM
Thanks! Funny that you ask.. since I think logic is a  really interesting subject, I´m actually considering doing a logic minor.  If that is the same as a bachelors degree?(because that´s what it´s called here in sweden).

In sweden the system and divisions in philsophy are a bit funny and different to our neighbour countries. First of all you can take two different degrees in what is called "practical" philsophy, which is mostly political philosphy and ethics etc. And the you can take a different degree in "theoretichal" philosophy, which is mostly epistomology, P. of Science, languagephilsophy and logic. But the funny thing is that you can also study only P. of Science or only Logic if you wish, and take a grade in only those subjects seperatly.

Right now though our University is involved in something that is called the "Bologna-process". The purpose is to standardize and make academic degrees comparable and compatible throughout Europe. Then there will be three levels: Bachelors degree, Masters degree and the finally Doctors degree.
Is that similar or very different to how it works in the states?

-edit- to take care some of the worst spellingmistakes..
3/5/07 10:16 AM
Giorgos

Edited: 05-Mar-07 10:27 AM
ah I see, that's similar to Utrecht University (where I was doing my M.A). And no it is not similar to the states. At least in Arizona and California the Phil. B.A is pretty much standard. You have like 10 compulsory courses you have to take (out of which only 2 or 3 are logic) and something like 10 elective Phil. courses. 10-15 (I can't remember exactly)are general studies (e.g. math, history, global awareness, science classes etc.) and then you have the rest as general electives where you can take anthing you want. But the aim at the B.A level is to balance practical, historical and theoretical philosphy... Generally a B.A degree in the states requires 120 credits, which roughly translates into 40 classes.
3/5/07 10:23 AM
Giorgos

Edited: 05-Mar-07
as for the minor, it is not the same as the bachelors; it is an additional degree to your bachelors which obviously has less bearing. For example, I used my extra electives to minor in the "Philosophy and History of Science" on top of my Philosophy B.A. Generally minors in Philosophy require you to take 6-10 additional course work; depending whether you are a philosophy major or of some other discipline. In my case, I only had to take like 6 additional courses as the others overlapped with classes I had already taken as part of my original degree.
3/6/07 4:37 AM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 06-Mar-07
I see, yes then the systems are pretty different.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.