UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> PDR 14

11/14/06 2:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jsteinmann
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Nov-06

This past weekend, I had the privilege of attending Blauer Tactical Systems fourteenth Personal Defense Readiness Instructor Development Seminar. I was first introduced to Coach Blauer's material seven years ago through Van Canna Sensei and his forum. At the time, I was training heavily with a man who purported to teach Shaolin Kung Fu (which is a story in of itself, but the work I'm writing on that is going to be considerably longer than this post), had just received a black belt in Aikido, and had been studying Uechi-Ryu for several years. I was very, very, concerned about training "for the street", and Coach Blauer's material resonated with many of the concerns that I had about my training. That same year, the first PDR was offered, and I scraped together the cash to attend. The first PDR was an absolutely amazing experience for me. Tony proved to be an approachable and inspiring coach, and my brain was overloaded by the end of the session. I ended up attending half a dozen course in the years that followed, and watched the PDR begin to evolve as a concept and program. Then I started graduate school, and the PDR had to take a back seat to other, more immediate concerns (like grades and jobs). I was, I'll admit, a bit nervous about attending PDR 14. I'm not the same person I was three years ago. My training has changed, but more importantly, so has my life. I'm not the same person I was, and I wasn't sure if Tony's material would still resonate with me in the way it did years earlier. It turned out I had little to worry about. The PDR has evolved into an absolutely amazing thing. The material is just as incredible as before, but the organization and presentation is a thousand times improved from the first seminar. Tony Torres and Tom Arcuri did an amazing job of presenting some of the drills and concepts of the system, and Coach Blauer continues to come up with some incredible innovations and concepts. We covered so much valuable information in a weekend, I still can't believe it. I'm both excited and scared looking at how many notes I need to write up...even for me, it was a lot. The thing that impressed me the most, however, was how quickly and warmly Coach Blauer and his staff welcomed me back into the PDR. I've known other coaches who, when a student disappears for a time, would greet the returning student with criticism or a cold shoulder. Not here. There was no "where the fuck have you been" or "you're a bad student for not being here." They just welcomed me back, and did their best to bring back up to speed (though I know I've got a long way to go). I've spent close to twenty years studying the martial arts, and I've spent the past four years training with Mark Dellagrotte, one of the best Muay Thai/MMA coaches in the country. I know good coaching when I see it. Coach Blauer is unquestionably one of the best coaches I've ever had the privilege of working with, and training with him and his staff has rekindled my passion for the PDR program. I'm back on the wagon, and I intend to stay there. Any martial artist who is seriously concerned about their students' personal safety needs to check out this material. Great, great stuff. Moving forward!
11/15/06 11:22 AM
DannyE

Edited: 15-Nov-06
Jake, Welcome back! Danny Evans
11/15/06 12:31 PM
Jonathan Berman

Every time I return from a BTS seminar I have to restrain myself from bubbling over with superlatives in trying to describe it. I was at my first session a little over 2 years ago, and in the interim I was certified as a coach, attended 2 Combatives Camps, the Weapons, and BMF Courses, and have taught a great deal, while getting additional education from the private PDR and Mental Edge Forums, the on-line coaching, and repeated close study of the videos. In short, I have steeped myself in the material. And though I know by now to assume nothing of my current capacity when starting a course, this past PDR was my second, and I approached the seminar less wide-eyed than I previously have. How deep goes the rabbit hole, if one is open to it. My mind was constantly alit with new discerning nuances for being a better coach and practitioner. Passion for training was ignited with each block of instruction. Methods of teaching; tactical biomechanical refinements; integrity and veracity in combative replication; psychological, emotional and physiological insight, business skills - all were further clarified and refined. The new coach candidates were extremely well-prepared, and the returning coaches were a pleasure to work with. Jess, Marc, and the back office staff provided a very professional and smooth-running event. They never cease to impress me with their thoughtfulness and kindness, and the lengths to which they will go to help seminar participants. The knowledge dump from Coaches Torres and Arcuri, not to mention the mad scientist behind it all, Coach Blauer, was massive and skillfully rendered as usual. And all delivered with a wicked sense of humor. Can't wait till my third PDR.
11/15/06 8:59 PM
jsteinmann

Thanks Danny!
11/16/06 11:48 AM
P

Edited: 16-Nov-06
Welcoming... It's a great way to express the PDR experience. It's not a retreat for 'weekend warriors' or a 'become deadly for only $19.95' program. It's a collective of real people who are interested in real safety and the exploration of the truth. Real, BLUNT truth... those who know Tony understand that statement :-). The PDR is one of the most challenging things I have ever been involved with. It demands introspection, personal growth and a commitment to personal and professional excellence. Not for the faint of heart but certainly one of the most rtewarding experiences you'll ever have. My thanks to everyone involved in this weekends PDR, it is always a homecoming for me. Phil Hughes
11/16/06 7:46 PM
Tony Torres

Edited: 16-Nov-06
Dear PDR Team Veterans and Newcomers, There aren't enough words to express the amount of joy and satisfaction I get from working with Tony, Tom, Dana and being able to bring the best course possible to the team. I thank you all for allowing me to share with you what I can, to help you pass Coach Blauer's PDR system on to your students. At the end of the weekend I left knowing that the system is and will be in good hands for generations to come. Your dedication and professionalism showed in the amount of comitment you guys had in every drill and evolution of the course. I can't wait to see you all again at the next one! Stay safe, Tony Torres
11/18/06 7:07 PM
DerekNRF

Edited: 18-Nov-06
Great Post Jake, This was my first PDR. I was first introduced to Tony Blauer in the early 90's when I was training in Kenpo Karate in Newfoundland. It was then that I realized that I learned more about self-defense in a weekend seminar, then I learned in 6 years of Traditional Martial Arts Training. The concepts that Coach Blauer taught in that weekend seminar over a decade ago stayed with me to this day. PDR # 14 was an amazing experince on so many levels. I am honored to be a part of such a team. I would also like to comment on the quality of individuals I met at PDR, I have never in my lifetime met such a dedicated group of people. I consider you all my friends and I look forward to seeing you all again very soon. If any of you are ever passing through New Brunswick Canada, my door is open to you and your family. I also want to make mention of Jack Bolowskie (I hope you do not mind me using your name).... you are an inspiration to me and I'm confident I can speak for everyone who experienced PDR # 14 ... Bravo! My offer still stands if you ever want to get away from that warm weather. Finally I would like to extend my thanks to all the Staff of Team Blauer,Coach Blauer,Jesse,Torres,Tom,Dana,Marc & the New girl who's name has slipped my mind, a sincere Thank you from myself, my family and the others who will benefit from my experince at PDR # 14 Take Care & Stay Safe Derek Moulton
11/27/06 6:58 PM
TSA

Edited: 27-Nov-06
I must echo the sentiments expressed by everyone here. The nicest part of the training for me is the refining and polishing I take home every time. While Tom v.1 was effective Tom v.14 is on a completely different level. I benefit, but even more importantly our students benefit. The PDR 14 Fundamentals candidates were a well-prepared highly motivated bunch. I enjoyed meeting and working with all of them. Tony Torres did a superb job breaking down the drills for new folks and returning alike. It was a pleasure working with him. Coach Blauer was his usual outstanding, motivating, inspirational and thought provoking. I guess I get more out of training with him as I get better at listening and seeing. It is remarkable how he can teach to different levels at the same time. I hope to see many of you at certifcation soon. Take care Tom Arcuri - PDR Team
11/27/06 9:59 PM
Dave MacDonald

Edited: 27-Nov-06
Coach Blauer,Tony, Tom, Dana, PDR 14 posse, Thanks for a mind-blowing experince. I left the seminar with a new level of confidence. Next week, I'm getting a $75,000.00 dollar loan and adding a 2,600 sq ft addition to my wife's practice. I have a couple dozen people lined up to start taking classes and a huge Elementary School right next door (borders our property). The after-school fitness/PDR class should be popular. I'm designing the space using suggestions from Crossfit (climbing ropes, large garage door so we can open it up and train outside, weights, plenty of open floor). I'm getting Crossfit certified ASAP. You guys/gals helped me make this choice. You inspired me. Coach Blauer, your system gave me the knowledge and the ability to communicate PDR clearly. This was the piece I was searching for. Thank you. See you soon, team, Dave MacDonald
11/28/06 11:57 PM
jsteinmann

Edited: 28-Nov-06
Dave, It sounds like the new place is going to be amazing! Keep us posted!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.