UnderGround Forums

ConspiracyGround >> Voodoo/Voudun

11/16/06 6:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DoYouWantKarate
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Nov-06

Voodoo is said to be responsible for the only succesful slave revolts recorded - defeating both the british and the french with lesser numbers, weaker weapons, no training and lack of tactics. It is one of the worlds fastest growing spiritual traditions and is not the evil force of myth but is actually a powerful shamanic tradition that also mixes with the catholic faith and shares traits with other spiritual traditions around the world. Like many other religions, Voodoo has a world tree which connects the 'abysmall waters' where the dead ancestors live at the roots to the LOA or archetypes/angels that live at the top. The LOA have equivalents in christian myth - for instance papa legba the gaurdian of the crossroads is the equivalent of saint peter. The LOA are representations of the deeper parts of the unconcious - and when they are prayed to it is a process of tuning into the part of the brain that the shaman (Houngan) wants to bring out for themselves to use and gain its power. Around the world tree there are TWO SNAKES that represent the masculine and feminine polarities of energy. These wrap around in a spiral like a DNA pattern or like in Kundalini Yoga. Voodou uses trance, drumming, prayer and drugs and herbs to work in states of altered conciousness, the initiated Houngan becomes a vessel which the Loa or ancestors work through. This means a sort of sharing or willed possession occurs. During these possessions the Houngan is capable of feats which he would not be able to acheive otherwise. Voodou believes everything has a soul that can be worked with through trance, and uses seals, colours and foods to honour the Loa and to gain their protection. Unlike the idea of spirituality in the west the Loa do ot tell people what to do with the power they give out, they simply give it. This is why evil witchdoctors called 'Bokor' are known and feared as many people use the power for selfish purposes. The 'Zombi' do exist, in the form of people kept in a state of trance, depleted of will and personal power at the request of the village or community. Much work is done for the attaining of 'Ashe' or power in one way or another in shamanic voodou. It has a very strong emphasis on exiting and entering spirits into the body of the practitioner.
11/16/06 6:44 AM
DoYouWantKarate

There are many LOA that are revered in Voodou PAPA LEGBA is a horned god archetype that is revered as the gaurdian of the crossroads 'where the spiritual and material world meet'. His sacred color is red and he needs to be honored first to connect with the other Loa by opening the gate between worlds. BARON SAMEDI is the king or gaurdian of the dead, he has to be honored to connect with the guiding spirit of the practitioners ancestors. He is normally pictured as a grinning skeleton wearing a top hat and his sacred colors are black and purple. OUGUN is the Loa of power and his sacred color is white. He is the embodiment of the principle of warriorship and the machete is sacred to him. He is pictured wearing white with a round, white hat.
11/16/06 7:00 AM
DoYouWantKarate

for those that want to know more i reccommend 'Vodou Shaman' by Ross Heaven.
11/16/06 1:03 PM
Ali
667 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is religion, not really paranormal (except all religion is paranormal). Anyway.... nice quick summary, but I think it would be more *fun* on the HolyGround, anyway. (Maybe not -- maybe just more crickets there, too).
11/17/06 6:40 AM
DoYouWantKarate

Edited: 17-Nov-06
no worries but if i post it there i will be hunted down and lynched as a heathen for the rest of my mma tv existence.
11/17/06 1:58 PM
Ali
667 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Nov-06
Maybe that's why I thought it would be more fun, LOL. Mind you, I don't want you lynched and hunted, but.... the sorts of responses that make "my superstition more rational than thine" are really pretty great. By the way, I thought this is part because someone *did* start a similar multi-post thread on Odinism, which also has the various gods (not Loas, but close) and a tree of life.... really similar stuff. The thread was deleted the first time, but after some discussion re-posted. and will you be lynched because this is your personal belief system? are you a Vodoun practitioner? I think it's really interesting, and valid as a spiritual practice. Just after seeing Maya Deren's documentary ("Divine Horsemen") I realized I couldn't hang with the breaking of the chicken's wings and such.
11/18/06 6:20 AM
DoYouWantKarate

Edited: 18-Nov-06
yeah i practice these days, I was doing sort of freestyle shamanism and needed a framework to work around after a odd breakdown/breakthrough initiation thing. I was naturally tuning into a few Voudun archetypes (the ones named above, especially Legba) without having the names for them or the cultural references, so when i discovered more about Voudun it seemed to fit together with what was already coming up in my brain and in my life. It is interesting for me how much crossing over there is between shamanic traditions there is as well, even looking at the snake coming down the tree of life in the bible you can draw so many parrallels - as you said there is the norse traditions as well. I also like the dual nature of the Loa having a equivalent saint or angel, which lets me feel that i am not simply 'jumping ship' out of the christian culture my family history is rooted in out of some need for rebellion. practicing Voudun has had some real pyschological benefits for both me and my flatmates who allow me to use the attic as an alter space... Lol nice guys, i could imagine a lot of people freaking out but because i have tried to explained it to them rationally as a way of exploring the subconcious/unconcious they are very interested and non-judgemental whereas before they were very conditioned to be aggressively anti-spiritual as a reaction against dogmatic religion. Their fear borne from their misconception of what Voudun is led them to being curious, which has led them to be more educated and open minded about religion in general rather than dismissing it as bullshit. There is a lot less of the 'fluff and light' new ager crap that seems to have infested a lot of spiritual systems in voudun as well, which is great for me because I hate how new age spirituality has been turned in a lot of cases into a dualistic 'white lighter' faith rather than a means of transcending duality. So the breaking of the chickens wings etc and the Voudun idea of spiritual power (do with it what you want, rather than use it to 'serve' its your choice) to me is a positive thing because it challanges my western preconceptions of what is spiritual and what isnt, and keeps true to its roots.
11/29/06 1:46 AM
Ali

Edited: 29-Nov-06
That's a great post.... though I'm still not down with some of what is (to me, clearly) torture of animals. But I totally understand the idea of running into these "archetypes" and ceremonial workings to evoke, or invoke, them. Many, many very close parallels with Ceremonial Magic...
12/3/06 11:13 PM
Ali

Edited: 03-Dec-06
ttt
4/7/09 10:47 PM
Slysir09
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

interesting...........I have a few questions if your still on
6/11/09 4:01 PM
chucktownbrown

anyone seen the movie "The serpent and the rainbow"?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.