UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Brumation of juvenile snakes?

11/20/06 12:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wizbang
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Nov-06

My new cal king that was born at the end of June stopped eating 3 weeks ago. Was a real pig and had good size and strength. Despite the off feeding she still appeard to have good health. I took extra care to warm the tank up in case it was purely a temp issue. Still not interest in eating. I've elected to put her into brumation. She's in a cool room in a covered tank with no heat source, a hide and water. With corns, I didn't like to do this until their second year. I liked to get them a little bigger with a full first year of eating. However, she was having none of it so I felt this was the best choice. Any of you guys have expierence with cooling very young colubrids. I assume it's ok since is happens in the wild.
12/2/06 1:07 AM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Dec-06
Yeah i've yet to have a problem (*knock wood*) & it sounds like the choice was made for you anyways lol.
12/2/06 9:48 AM
wizbang
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Dec-06
Yeah, she didn't give much choice. If it's warm and she doesn't eat she will eventually waste away. It it's cool, it's like what happens in the wild at this time of year and we'll warm her up in a couple of months and go from there.
12/3/06 5:21 PM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Dec-06
If you're really worried about it i'd even just do a stunted brumation of only a few weeks, then bring the temps back up. That way it gets it's season without losing too much weight.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.