UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Got a baby Corn

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

11/20/06 8:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mfah
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Nov-06

Hey guys about a month ago we got a baby Albino Okeetee named "ruby" red/orange w/white.

Question is she just stated to shed yesterday and the head section came off clean but the rest it flaking (like a sun burn pealing) off. Is this ok or will it cause problems if its not all off?

thanks guys

11/21/06 2:41 PM
Trust
927 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Nov-06
Do you have a bowl of water in the enclosure? Flaking like that is typically due to low humidity. If you give the snake a bowl of water to soak in or at least up the humidity, the rest will come off sooner or later. There isn't much of danger in retaining old skin for a while as long as the head section, and especially the eye caps, come off clean.
11/21/06 5:03 PM
mfah

Edited: 21-Nov-06

Thanks Trust.

Last night after work I was holding her and I was able to get the skin completely so Im good there.

I also think shes not really drinking on her own since when I handle her I allow her head to hang touching the water bowl and she just starts to drink and drink. Changed things around in the tank to make it closer to her hiding areas to see if it helps her find it.

Also bought a few move things for her, new "smaller" hiding rock , a log with small tunnels in it and a red"infrared" heat light. It seems to have helped her be much more active.

11/27/06 10:13 AM
wizbang
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Nov-06
Great snakes. I miss my corns. Post pics when you can.
11/27/06 11:29 PM
mfah

Edited: 27-Nov-06

I took some pics just need time to post them.

Question , she seems to spend alot of time under her water bowl. Its cooler there but her tank is normally 85-90deg (hottest part). Should I attempt to change something or just allow her to do her thing and regulate body temp herself.

11/28/06 10:46 PM
mfah

Edited: 28-Nov-06
think its a 40gal I have 2 thermometers , one on the heated side one one the nonheated side 90/80 deg. Someone I spoke to( store I got her)stated temps before 80/75, were to low.
12/4/06 5:46 PM
mfah

Edited: 04-Dec-06 10:34 PM
substrate is " Forest Fin Bark" I believe is whats on the bag. It was what store guy said I needed. It smells I little like cedar(its not cedar, i know) but loses the smell quickly.
12/5/06 1:56 AM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Dec-06
Aspen, newspaper, paper towel are all better choices for substrate imo. Misting is definitely a good plan, you just wanna make sure you don't go overboard and risk respiratory problems. For what it's worth, i've done misting a ton over the years without any problems, but i have seen people that must have went nutty with it & ended up with issues. Another alternative is to make what's called a "humid hide". It can be any kind of appropriately sized container, usually a small tupperware or margarine container with a small hole cut out works great. You then put something like moistened paper towels, or moistened sphagnum moss in it. Basically you're just creating a moist den where it can safely hang out for a couple of days if it wants to and soak up some humidity. My kingsnake used to just soak in her water dish once in a while, but many snakes prefer a humid hide placed in their cage at the right time. You can generally guess what time is best, as in my experience that my snakes all tend to shed about 5-7 days after going "in the blue". This is when their eyes get cloudy and go a blue-grey kinda colour, you'll also notice their skin might look kinda cloudy or the colours dirty. I tend to either mist or place the humid hide right around that "blue" time, within a couple days either way. I haven't had a problem shed in years using these methods and very few ever overall, and i live in an extremely dry climate with no natural humidity to speak of.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.